Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 01:32 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / What to Buy / Sneaky DS - good start to streaming?

Sneaky DS - good start to streaming?
2017-07-15, 16:46
RE: Sneaky DS - good start to streaming?
(2017-07-15 16:28)SanAla71 Wrote:  
(2017-07-15 15:47)Tin Wrote:  You miswrote 'brittle' as well, it came out as 'brilliant'. Smile

I just spit up my coffee...

But seriously, thanks to people like you, this forum is both fun and educational!

Brittle? Me? Watch iiiittt... or I'll send the boys round... Smile

Seriously though, make sure the powerline is rated quite high (gigabit would be best) as some lower speed ones aren't very capable with HiRes in particular.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-15, 17:19
(2017-07-15 15:17)SanAla71 Wrote:  
(2017-07-15 11:26)Tendaberry Wrote:  Not so sure the Sneaky DS is a great match with the Kans, I would want to try that before buying. Maybe you can find a Majik DSi at a good price...

There are not many DS units for sale on the used market in Canada,and then there is my very limited budget... Sad. I was asking about the Sneaky because I found one in mint condition for a reasonable price, so although not optimal, I am hoping to it gets me into streaming. I am being forced out of my music room (damn kids!) and back into the family room, so I am also looking for an elegant solution for my wife with reasonable sound output.

I used to use a sneaky DS with a pair of Tukans which worked fine although the Kans may be a more difficult load. The sneaky obviously has limited power though.

G

KEDSM and Katalyst Exakt 350s. Sekrit DSi Kudos and Diskreets In Bedroom, 520 Exakt system in Garden room. Sekrit DSi and Tukans, Sneaky DS and Kef Eggs in storage.
Find all posts by this user
2017-07-15, 22:14
(2017-07-15 17:19)Gonzo Wrote:  
(2017-07-15 15:17)SanAla71 Wrote:  
(2017-07-15 11:26)Tendaberry Wrote:  Not so sure the Sneaky DS is a great match with the Kans, I would want to try that before buying. Maybe you can find a Majik DSi at a good price...

There are not many DS units for sale on the used market in Canada,and then there is my very limited budget... Sad. I was asking about the Sneaky because I found one in mint condition for a reasonable price, so although not optimal, I am hoping to it gets me into streaming. I am being forced out of my music room (damn kids!) and back into the family room, so I am also looking for an elegant solution for my wife with reasonable sound output.

I used to use a sneaky DS with a pair of Tukans which worked fine although the Kans may be a more difficult load. The sneaky obviously has limited power though.

G

I used Sneaky into Tukans for a while and it was good but I had an old LK100 left over from a multiroom setup and using that instead of the Sneaky power amp was a huge improvement - just food for thought. But maybe space is limited in your family room for extra boxes.
2017-07-18, 23:26 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-18 23:39 by pendoric.)
I would not worry about using WiFi if your signal is reasonable, you could get an Ethernet to wifi converter for example:
https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Universal-...B004UAKCS6

Audio even high quality is fairly low bandwidth and the DS buffers it a little as well.

For speakers, as people here may know. I used KEF Coda 7's for many years on my Majik DSM until i finally upgraded to Majik 109's. I tried all manner of speakers including Tukans and Katans and always ended up back at the Coda 7's. I am sticking with the 109's now but the Coda 7s are staying around. Love them to much.
2017-07-19, 03:16
(2017-07-18 23:26)pendoric Wrote:  I would not worry about using WiFi if your signal is reasonable, you could get an Ethernet to wifi converter for example:
https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Universal-...B004UAKCS6

Audio even high quality is fairly low bandwidth and the DS buffers it a little as well.

For speakers, as people here may know. I used KEF Coda 7's for many years on my Majik DSM until i finally upgraded to Majik 109's. I tried all manner of speakers including Tukans and Katans and always ended up back at the Coda 7's. I am sticking with the 109's now but the Coda 7s are staying around. Love them to much.

Thanks for your insight, I managed to get a pair of the gigabit power line cat 5 units, I'm hoping that they will give me a good steady signal. I have found a DS unit, its a Sneaky which hopefully gets me a good start into the Linn streaming world. In advance of my unit coming next week, I have opened an account with Tidal and have started to get used to the interface and building playlists.

Thanks
Alan