Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-15, 09:06 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / What to Buy / From the Beginning

From the Beginning
2017-07-17, 03:22
From the Beginning
Consider this the beginning of my Linn consumer research. The kind help of this forum will be appreciated!

I am in the market for a complete system, which which will be built one piece at a time primarily from Ebay and Audiogon. I can be patient in finding the right pieces.

I expect to spend approximately $1000 (750 GBP) per box. I live in the U.S. if that matters.

Opening question:

I'm thinking Kairn Preamp with Brilliant Power Supply and Klout Power Amp. Is that a good start? What iterations/upgrades of these should I look for or avoid?

Looking forward to learning!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-17, 06:43
RE: From the Beginning
Checking in Audiogon, I see a lot of options.

I do see a Karin and Klout for sale, and the price fits your budget.

These are older units, but get good reviews from many of the Linn Forum members.

I would think another great option would be the 2250 amp for sale, instead of the Klout.

I would also be looking at the Linn DS/1 for sale, as it is a preamp, amp and digital streamer all in one box.

There are also sites like eBay UK, Canuck Audiomart, and Lejonklou that has previously owned Linn.

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-07-17, 06:47
(2017-07-17 06:43)Paulssurround Wrote:  Checking in Audiogon, I see a lot of options.

These are older units, but get good reviews from many of the Linn Forum members.

I would think another great option would be the 2250 amp for sale, instead of the Klout.

I would also be looking at the Linn DS/1 for sale, as it is a preamp, amp and digital streamer all in one box.

There are also sites like eBay UK, Canuck Audiomart, and Lejonklou that has previously owned Linn.

Which DS/1 has a power amp? Only the Majik DSM has such Wink
And I wonder what sources the OP is planning to use?
A complete system with eg. LP12 and/or CD is different to a complete system that is streaming only.
I think we need to know the requirements....
Wink

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-17, 06:56
(2017-07-17 06:47)timster Wrote:  
(2017-07-17 06:43)Paulssurround Wrote:  Checking in Audiogon, I see a lot of options.

Which DS/1 has a power amp? Only the Majik DSM has such Wink
And I wonder what sources the OP is planning to use?
A complete system with eg. LP12 and/or CD is different to a complete system that is streaming only.
I think we need to know the requirements....
Wink

Yes, you are correct about the Majik DSM

The ad doesn't mention that it is a Majik though.

Yes, we need to know what the source will be? CD player, phono or Digital streamer?

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-07-17, 07:00
Could be the old Majik DS-i?
I also wonder if a budget per box is the right way to go. An overall budget would be a better place to start.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-17, 08:49
I would also look at the following sites, as they list good Linn equipment too:
https://www.selleri.de/ (in Swedish, but Google translate helps a lot Wink)
http://www.audiowoof.com/list_ads.php

Klimax DS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos > Majik 140 (aluminium stands)
2017-07-17, 10:27
As the others have said, some more context will be helpful:

- Do you have sources now? If so, what are they?
- Is your music collection mainly vinyl, CD or online?
- Do you want to change your sources at some point? Are you willing to do so if the forum considers it might be a better investment?
- Are you starting from nothing or do you have kit at the moment that you are thinking of changing?
- What speakers do you have, if any?
- What size of room do you have?
- Do you have any restrictions on number of boxes, stand vs floorstander speakers etc.
- $1000 per box - how many boxes have you budgeted for? Wink
- Is this an "end game" system that you're aiming for, or do you intend to invest again in the future - this is important as it will help decide where to invest the most now.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-07-17, 11:25
(2017-07-17 10:27)sunbeamgls Wrote:  - Is this an "end game" system that you're aiming for, or do you intend to invest again in the future - this is important as it will help decide where to invest the most now.

This really is crucial. If you plan (or are resigned to) progressive upgrading, it makes sense to buy the best source component you can afford, and compromise temporarily on the downstream items (including, if this is relevant, keeping existing items for a while, which is what I did when I first got my ADSM). As others have said, in these circumstances a 'per box' budget does not make sense. In any case, you may find some of what you are looking for second hand, but have to fork for other items new or ex demo, and all of that would be down to luck more than anything.

The best thing I think you spend time, effort and some money on now is finding a dealer and doing some listening. You need to establish where you are in the market, and only your ears will tell you that. This is particularly true of your primary source component (presumably either a turntable setup or a DS/DSM), and work on from there.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-07-17, 18:11 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-17 18:37 by pendoric.)
Forget all the different parts. Put the money together and get a Majik DSM and Majik 109 speakers. (MDSM has onboard power amp you can use to start).

Plenty of ways to grow from here and gives you one kick ass system. with great paths forward especially the latest model that has Exact link.

If you really want to go used, a pair of Ninka's, 4 power amp channels 2xLK140, Aktiv cards for Amps you get, Kairn, Numerik and a squeezbox touch. (to feed the Numerik).
2017-07-17, 18:23
Thanks to everyone who has contributed. I did a little reading about the 2250 and I like that idea. I am not foreclosed on the Klout or anything else at this point.

Sunbeamgls, thanks for the clarifying questions. Here goes:

I only care about two-channel stereo.

I am starting from nothing.

I have no sources at this point, but I want to build a system that will be able to play CDs and Vinyl. My current collection is equally divided between Vinyl and CD. Until you asked, I had never even considered playing online music through this system. I don't think it will be very important to me.

Acoustically, the room is quite large. It is an open living room, dining room, breakfast area, and kitchen. I'm guessing 800 square feet (75 square meters) with a high (vaulted) ceiling.

The number of boxes in not important to me. If I could do it with an integrated amp, I would be happy. If monoblocks are the way to go, then that's fine, too. The "$1000 per box guideline assumed: source, preamp, amp, speakers. So, about $4000 total for the system. Certainly no more than that.

I will want floorstanding speakers.

I'm thinking that this is an "end game" system. I am willing to wait/save for the right pieces rather than upgrade in the future.

Gregg