Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 02:03 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / What to Buy / From the Beginning

From the Beginning
2017-07-17, 18:29
RE: From the Beginning
Thanks, David.

I live in a fairly rural area. No Linn dealers, at all. Plus, I'm assuming that my budget will preclude any equipment that currently in production.

gb
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-17, 19:04 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-17 19:04 by Tin.)
Let me be continue on the path where Sunbeamgls was heading.

These days streaming devices outperform CD players by a huge margin, so would you consider ripping your CD collection and putting the files on a NAS?
That would make things sound a lot better and you could easily end up with a turntable, and a dsm, which is an integrated amplifier with a very good streamer in it.
So, 2 boxes and a pair of speakers, and you'd be done.
That is, if you already have a NAS. It should be doable with your budget either way.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-07-17, 19:11 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-17 19:18 by pendoric.)
I once played all my music direct from CD but those days that seem so antiquated, I did rip all my disks to a local NAS unit but even that is now antiquated as Tidal streams full resolution FLAC flawlessly to both my Linn MDSM system and a Squeezebox touch (also feeding Numerik and second Linn system).

There really is a lot to be said for sitting down with a steaming fresh cup of joe, my Android tablet in hand and having not only your music but millions of new sounds to discover right at your finger tips.
2017-07-17, 19:15
Ok, Tin, the fact that streaming devices outperform CDs is news to me. I had no idea. I absolutely am willing to rip my CDs and put the files on a NAS. What is a NAS?

So are you suggesting something like a Majik 140 system, plus a turntable and speakers? Still need to add the NAS, separately?
2017-07-17, 19:23
You guys are causing me to rethink EVERYthing! It seems that I no longer know how to play music!
2017-07-17, 21:25
A NAS is a Network Attached Storage, basically a tiny computer holding one or more harddrives. That may sound difficult, but they're as easy to operate as a phone or tablet.

And yes, a Majik 140 system would describe the bill perfectly, and yes, you have no idea how nice a streamer will play your music. Wink Wink Wink

Tin can telephone system.
2017-07-17, 23:54
(2017-07-17 21:25)Tin Wrote:  A NAS is a Network Attached Storage, basically a tiny computer holding one or more harddrives. That may sound difficult, but they're as easy to operate as a phone or tablet.

And yes, a Majik 140 system would describe the bill perfectly, and yes, you have no idea how nice a streamer will play your music. Wink Wink Wink

Hi,

I have a secondhand Sondek LP12 with Akito arm and Adik fitted with a Lingo 3/1/S and an old Intek amp and knew that I had to upgrade the amp and a creek CD player as like some had a split collection of vinyl and CD's which I thought I would continue to play. I visited several dealers and was steered in the direction of the DSM.
I eventually purchased one second hand and am amazed at the streaming quality. I use tidal and can listen to music I never normally do and then buy the vinyl. It all sounds great on my 109's and very inexpensive.
I hope my few words help and look forward to members comments on my next upgrades.

Kind regards to all.
2017-07-18, 00:41 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-18 00:44 by pendoric.)
NAS = Network Attached Storage and is basically a computer in a box with a couple of disks (or more) you want to set it up so it retains two copies in case of a disk error (RAID 1), some vendors are QNAP or Synology.

I used EAC (Exact Audio Copy) http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ to read all my CD's and convert them to files. It has a great feature in that it compares what was read by your PC with a library of other reads (RIPS) so you can tell you have an exact copy. (Not always possible if you have a scratched disk). It will also search and add cover art etc. You then place these files on the NAS which also runs a streaming server that streams the files back out to whatever steamer audio streamer you are using. (As an aside you can do something very similar with DVD's and video to video streamers.)

All this said however, even though I have hundreds of CD's carefully RIP'ed to my NAS I very rarely play them. I tend to stream directly from Tidal who have almost every single CD I own, even some fairly obscure ones. I am not to impressed with Tidal's recommendation system however. They always seem to recommend the latest Jay Z album, I have no idea why. It is a rare day that I play anything more recent than a decade or two old and have no interest at all in Jay Z type music.
2017-07-18, 06:34
(2017-07-17 21:25)Tin Wrote:  A NAS is a Network Attached Storage, basically a tiny computer holding one or more harddrives. That may sound difficult, but they're as easy to operate as a phone or tablet.

As long as you get the right one! And then we get into what server you'd prefer, and what NAS would it work on etc. etc. Wink

But as the OP is starting from scratch probably a QNAP as it seems compatible with more servers than Synology for example. Although the Synology is very easy to use.

And of course with a DS, there's the massive benefit of Space Optimisation.

So for an end game solution within the budget and requirements:
Majik 140 speakers (2nd hand ~ £1k)
a 2nd hand DSM for ~ £2k, which is probably a Majik DSM/1 for that price. I wouldn't go the Renew route for a single endgame system.
a NAS (£500)
a Rega RP1 (£250)
any CD player while you're transferring to the NAS (which will take a while). Or you could use an existing DVD/BluRay.
Cables may add a bit but could be taken from the slush fund rather than capital Wink

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-18, 07:24
Oh, and by the way, with a DS system, there won't actually be an endgame. You will get firmware updates which will step by step improve your system at no cost Wink

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user