Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-18, 08:10 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / What to Buy / From the Beginning

From the Beginning
2017-07-18, 08:10
RE: From the Beginning
If you decide on a Majik DSM you can drop me a message, i have a silver mdsm/1 (2012 variant) located in Finland. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-18, 10:37 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-18 10:39 by sunbeamgls.)
Timster's list of stuff looks like a good approach. I would just mention the following:

- The Majik 140s need to have the "upgraded" stands which were an optional extra - the 1k gbp he suggests should be enough to include this if you're lucky, but you may need to think about 1.2k gbp with the stands
- Under 2.2k gbp should find you a Majik DSM/2 used (looking at a big auction site this morning) which is an improvement on /1
- Linn equipment carries a 5 year warranty which transfers to new owners, so even if you are buying 2 year old used equipment you still have 3 years of warranty so used is low risk
- A Rega RP1 is a very good value for money turntable if all you want to do is have the ability to play records but it won't compare so well with the DSM/2 in terms of sound quality. So perhaps, if you want a better quality turntable, leave this and add later when there are more funds?

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-07-18, 13:35
(2017-07-17 18:29)jgreggbell Wrote:  I live in a fairly rural area. No Linn dealers, at all. Plus, I'm assuming that my budget will preclude any equipment that currently in production.

Some dealers have pre-owned equipment, from part exchanges or whatever. I think that you are getting good advice from the other posts, and see no need to add to your confusion by chipping in further thoughts. But I will come back on the need to listen before buying.

I live on an island. Every trip to a dealer is an expensive and time-consuming expedition. But all my major, formative decisions down the years about the development of my hi-fi system have happened as a consequence of dealer demonstrations. The outcomes of the last four such events were as follows:
  • when I bought my first DSM, I settled for the Akurate level, having previously been almost certain that the Majik DSM was what I would buy;
  • when I was sure that I would buy Exakt Akudoriks, I was left unconvinced by the demonstration and did not make the purchase;
  • dealer advice that pointed me in the direction of (passive) Akubariks as my sensible next upgrade was shown by demonstration to be correct;
  • after my previous experience with the Akudoriks, uncertainly as to whether adding Exakt to my Akubariks would give me my end-point system was removed at the demonstration.

Even with hindsight, I believe that all these decisions were correct at the time (things have moved on, and I might not make the same decision about the Akudoriks now). And I really needed the dealer support and facilities to reach those conclusions.

So my advice remains: even if getting to the dealer is a major hike, it is worth making the effort. Listening to what is in the shop can help to focus your mind, perhaps in ways you did not expect. And, dare I say, buying even non-Linn kit you know you like is a better strategy than buying second hand components, often of uncertain provenance, that you have not even heard.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-07-18, 15:21 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-18 15:25 by jgreggbell.)
Thanks for education me on this stuff, guys. I'm learning a lot.

So is it the consensus of the group that the Majik 140 with NAS will sound better than a Kairn/Klout or Kairn/2250 for my large room?

Thanks, Timster. I would not have known that. Smile
2017-07-18, 15:33 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-18 15:36 by timster.)
With all the benefits of streaming and the features of a Linn DS I'd say yes, it would outweigh the extra power from the other options. You could always source a power amp and use the DSM as a pre-amp, but that could break the budget.
I appreciate the room is large, but the 140s themselves won't have trouble, and although the amp in the Majik is "only" 2x 90W I doubt it would feel underpowered. Others may disagree, but within your budget - maybe an additional subwoofer in the mix could give it more "welly" as we say? Perhaps an LK series amp? They are pretty cheap. But again, not Dynamiked or Chakra.
I think on the power amp side I'll leave it with others with more knowledge wrt power and room size.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-18, 15:57
Thanks, David. I am in a couple of big cities (D.C. and Atlanta) on occasion. It sounds like a dedicated trip to a dealer will be worth it (and fun).
2017-07-18, 16:17
So, if at some point, I feel the Majik is underpowered, I would be able to supplement with an additional power amp?
2017-07-18, 16:28 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-18 16:32 by timster.)
You would have that option yes. The DSM can be configured to act as a pre-amp in that case.

In fact, I think you can add an additional amp using the analogue outs - so you could in theory have 4 channels of amplification (so the Majik would power the bass + mids, and the additional amp would power the tweeters and supertweeters).
I think.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-18, 17:48
(2017-07-18 16:28)timster Wrote:  You would have that option yes. The DSM can be configured to act as a pre-amp in that case.

In fact, I think you can add an additional amp using the analogue outs - so you could in theory have 4 channels of amplification (so the Majik would power the bass + mids, and the additional amp would power the tweeters and supertweeters).
I think.

Yes, and no.
You can use the Mdsm to power 1 channel per speaker, not bass & mids, unless you are briding them on speaker side, and then use the pre-out to connect X number of amps.

For example i use Mdms with 2 aktiv cards driving supertweeter, and pre-out to 6100 with 6 aktiv cards driving the tweeter,mid&bass for each majik isobarik.
2017-07-18, 18:04 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-18 18:08 by pendoric.)
(2017-07-18 16:17)jgreggbell Wrote:  So, if at some point, I feel the Majik is underpowered, I would be able to supplement with an additional power amp?

You sure can, you can add just about any power amp. If you go Majik 109 or 140 or any Linn speakers then the logical path may be to add a Majik 6100 amp this would give you 8 mono power amps (including the two in the DSM) you could power all 8 drivers on the say the 140 speakers directly and bypass the passive resistor capacitor network in the speakers entirely. You do need to have special cards in each amp that send exactly the frequencies needed to each speaker driver but this takes the the sound to a whole new level. This is called Aktiv in Linn terminology.

If you wanted to stay passive using just two channels you could just add say a Akurate 2200 or older amp like the 2250, Klout or even power amps from other vendors, it all comes down to what your ears like.

If you get the latest MDSM it has an Exakt link which is a more software configurable version of Aktiv, I have not listened to these so can not really comment and will let others pass on that part of the story.

All this said, you probably would not be disappointed with a Kairn, Klout and Ninka speakers either. I sill love my Classik, Numerik, 2xLK 240 and Keilidgh setup. Almost as much as my MDSM/Majik 109 setup.

I also notice that no one has mentioned the Sneaky DS / Sneaky DSM, these can give you a low path into streaming they also have pre and power amps. Not sure they are the right path forward, given room size and turntable desires but you should be aware of them.