Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-17, 19:46 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / What to Buy / From the Beginning

From the Beginning
2017-07-18, 19:04
RE: From the Beginning
The reason I didn't mention the Sneakies is that with jgregg's budget he could do better. And as an end point system it has too many drawbacks. Sneaky's are fine as second systems or an entry into streaming but I fear he would feel it wasn't quite what he wants and then be disappointed to think just a little more spent would give much much better results. Even the lack of a display could prove frustrating.

I also think that as long as the open plan design is such that the lounge area (and where he/they would presumably be when listening to music) isn't too far away from the system, the overall room size shouldn't really be an issue power amp rating wise. But that is for someone more experienced with that then I Wink

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-18, 22:30
(2017-07-18 19:04)timster Wrote:  Sneaky's are fine as second systems or an entry into streaming.

Agree entirely. I will probably get one as my third Linn system to run the outdoor speakers I am looking at.
Find all posts by this user
2017-07-19, 16:32
(2017-07-18 17:48)Rulah Wrote:  
(2017-07-18 16:28)timster Wrote:  You would have that option yes. The DSM can be configured to act as a pre-amp in that case.

In fact, I think you can add an additional amp using the analogue outs - so you could in theory have 4 channels of amplification (so the Majik would power the bass + mids, and the additional amp would power the tweeters and supertweeters).
I think.

Yes, and no.
You can use the Mdsm to power 1 channel per speaker, not bass & mids, unless you are briding them on speaker side, and then use the pre-out to connect X number of amps.

For example i use Mdms with 2 aktiv cards driving supertweeter, and pre-out to 6100 with 6 aktiv cards driving the tweeter,mid&bass for each majik isobarik.

Why 6100 rather than 2100? To add a power amp, do I need one channel per driver??
2017-07-19, 16:37
Not in a passive system. The 140s are 4-way. New they come with links across all drivers so they can be run with one channel. Split the link in 2 the the bass and mid is driven by one channel and the two tweeters by another.
If the 140s were made Activ, you would then need one channel per driver (so 8 in total).

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-07-19, 16:50
Aktiv is Linns way to remove the passive crossovers from the speakers and put them into the amplifiers. This gives you a nice performance increase. The downside is that you need a lot of amplifier channels for that.
Instead of going that route, you could also just buy a 2100, or any power amp for that matter, and get better performance as well.

If you would buy a DS or DSM with Exaktlinks you could buy an Majik Exaktbox-I, which contains a small platoon of DACS and 8 channels of amplification. Exakt is a technique with digital crossovers, which is Linns showboat at the moment.
Having said that; there is nothing wrong with the 2100 route or Timster suggestion of a 6100 either.

I have Aktiv speakers myself and I'm very happy with them. I win some compared to passive speakers, lose some compared to digital crossovers, but the main thing is that I have a lot of boxes, interconnects and speaker cables! No, that wasn't it, the main thing my stereo sounds great. I do have a lot of boxes and cables though.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-07-19, 17:06
OK. Thanks. I was about to ask for an explanation of Aktiv. It sounds like I want to remain passive. Unless there is a huge trade-off, sound wise, then fewer boxes is better.

I'm laughing at myself because this entire internal dialogue (with contributions from you guys) began with with a set of LK-240 monoblocks! The pendulum has now swung to the other end of the spectrum!
2017-07-19, 17:09 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-19 17:13 by Tin.)
Our sincerest apologies. *grin*

But in your case, adding a 2100, a 6100 or an Exaktbox-I would all boil down to adding 1 box.
Both latter options though imply 4 pairs of speaker cable per speaker though, as each driver get its own amplification, and therefore cable.

And yes, the performance increase is real. But there are many other routes as well, none of them cheap.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-07-19, 17:52
I would not throw out the notion of going Aktiv down the road yet. If you started out with the following.

Majik DSM, Majik 140's (Running passive from the on board DSM Amp).

The next logical move would be to add a single Majik 6100 amp and 8 Aktik cards (2 go in the DSM and 6 in the Majik 6100 amp) This takes you from a notional 200Watts to 800Watts on the power side but with 8 channels.
Use the MDSM to power the super tweeter on both speakers
6100 powers the 2 tweeters and four bass drivers

Still only 2 boxes, and a relatively low cost upgrade to a full Aktiv system. You can sometimes pick up the cards and Majik 6100 amp on the used market.
2017-07-19, 20:11
(2017-07-19 17:52)pendoric Wrote:  I would not throw out the notion of going Aktiv down the road yet.

As others have pointed out, you don't need to. The MDSM with its internal amps gives you a good passive starting point; Aktiv or (preferably, in my view) Exakt is another step along the road.

Before you start adding lots of amplifier or Exakt channels, it is worth bearing in mind that, in Linn's current speaker lineup, the Majik 140 is the only 4 way floor standing loudspeaker; those of its bigger brethren that do not have Exakt built in are 5- and 6-way. In other words, future upgradeability does raise some issues, which are (I suggest) a bridge or two too far for you to consider at the moment. The prices of the big boys will probably make your eyes water in any case. Starting the system in passive configuration sets all those issues aside for the moment.

On a separate point, a couple of questions about your listening room. You said that it is large, but how large? Is it a regular shape? Will you tend to listen in a particular area of the room, or are you trying to fill the whole room? The one obvious limitation of the MDSM is that the built in amplification is not especially powerful (though it is not weedy either). We should probably check that what we are recommending is powerful enough for your needs.

The other point we have probably not yet emphasised enough is the fact that any DS or DSM will require a wired network connection. People will tell you how they have made wireless work (and they probably have); don't even think about it. Homeplug (Ethernet using the electrical mains wiring) is a better option, but it's not ideal. Before you go listen to a demo (you have booked a trip, haven't you? Wink), you need to give some thought as to how you can get an Ethernet cable from your router or an existing switch into your hi-fi system without starting a domestic ruckus ...

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-07-20, 05:26
HeeHee Smile sorry for having a giggle, but jgregg's original requirement was for an endpoint system for around $4k.... now we're talking future plans like going Aktiv, adding more power, even Exakt...
Mind you - I was where jgregg is 3 years ago. And now look at me... oh boy...
Wink

Hello to Jason Isaacs