Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-15, 03:39 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / What to Buy / From the Beginning

From the Beginning
2017-07-27, 14:55
RE: From the Beginning
OK. Great. That is just as I hoped. I like the idea of buying a modern system and then adding sources as I am able.

By the way, I am on my way to D.C. next week and I have already scoped out a Linn dealer with a showroom. Will have my first Linn Listening session since the Sara was a new speaker.

Current System -
Broken Rotel RA-840BX4 Integrated Amp, Norman Laboratory Model 82 Speakers with dry-rotted foam surround, Wharfedale Coleridge speakers with smashed tweeter.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-27, 15:33
(2017-07-27 14:55)jgreggbell Wrote:  OK. Great. That is just as I hoped. I like the idea of buying a modern system and then adding sources as I am able.

By the way, I am on my way to D.C. next week and I have already scoped out a Linn dealer with a showroom. Will have my first Linn Listening session since the Sara was a new speaker.

Excellent. Two things if you don't know the dealer:
1. Make sure you listen with Space Optimisation both OFF and ON. You never know - SO may not be set up right and sometimes can potentially make a system sound worse than with it off entirely.
And 2. Don't be tempted to listen to anything with Exakt, or the Klimax range... Just in case you go away with mad ideas in your head....Wink

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-27, 15:35
I will heed your advice, Timster!

(2017-07-27 15:33)timster Wrote:  
(2017-07-27 14:55)jgreggbell Wrote:  OK. Great. That is just as I hoped. I like the idea of buying a modern system and then adding sources as I am able.

Excellent. Two things if you don't know the dealer:
1. Make sure you listen with Space Optimisation both OFF and ON. You never know - SO may not be set up right and sometimes can potentially make a system sound worse than with it off entirely.
And 2. Don't be tempted to listen to anything with Exakt, or the Klimax range... Just in case you go away with mad ideas in your head....Wink

Current System -
Broken Rotel RA-840BX4 Integrated Amp, Norman Laboratory Model 82 Speakers with dry-rotted foam surround, Wharfedale Coleridge speakers with smashed tweeter.
2017-10-23, 14:41
Follow up from my long ago last post -

I did go to the Linn dealer and I did listen and I hate to say that I was thoroughly underwhelmed. The Majik 140 system sounded pleasant, but also congested and confused. No space between the notes. Surprisingly good punch in the bass department. Oh well. I'm still looking. I may try to repair some of my current gear to give me more time to think and save.

Related - Following Timster's suggestion, I started a new thread - "Show us your non-LINN components." Shortly, I will add pictures there of the Norman Laboratories speakers I mentioned. I retrieved them from the attic and will soon order a new foam surround to get them singing again. i will let you know how they sounf with Linn or Naim or whatever they end up with.

Current System -
2017-10-23, 15:16
(2017-10-23 14:41)jgreggbell Wrote:  Follow up from my long ago last post -

I did go to the Linn dealer and I did listen and I hate to say that I was thoroughly underwhelmed. The Majik 140 system sounded pleasant, but also congested and confused. No space between the notes. Surprisingly good punch in the bass department. Oh well. I'm still looking. I may try to repair some of my current gear to give me more time to think and save.

Related - Following Timster's suggestion, I started a new thread - "Show us your non-LINN components." Shortly, I will add pictures there of the Norman Laboratories speakers I mentioned. I retrieved them from the attic and will soon order a new foam surround to get them singing again. i will let you know how they sounf with Linn or Naim or whatever they end up with.

Sorry to hear that. Surprised too, to be honest, but maybe it's just a matter of taste? Remind us what you listen to the 140s with? A Majik DSM? Could simply be that the integrated amp is a bit underwhelming compared to what your used to. I wouldn't blame the speaker but perhaps more what's behind it Wink

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-23, 15:38 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-23 15:44 by jgreggbell.)
To my tin ears, it sounded like the electronics were the problem, not the speakers.

My past listening was done with a turntable (I don't remember the brand), Cambridge Audio CD player (late 1980s) and on the Rotel RA-840BX4 and Wharfedale Coleridge speakers.

It may be that I was just expecting too much. I will listen again. I'm in no hurry.

Current System -
2017-10-23, 16:06
(2017-10-23 15:38)jgreggbell Wrote:  To my tin ears, it sounded like the electronics were the problem, not the speakers.
Your -what- ears?

Tin can telephone system.
2017-10-23, 16:11
Some folks have golden ears, some folks have tin ears. I'm in the latter!

Current System -
2017-10-30, 16:06
(2017-10-23 16:06)Tin Wrote:  
(2017-10-23 15:38)jgreggbell Wrote:  To my tin ears, it sounded like the electronics were the problem, not the speakers.
Your -what- ears?

Tin,
I just now realized why you questioned my choice of words! From this point forward, and for purposes of this forum, I'll try to use a different metaphor for my lack of aural discernment!
Gregg

Current System -
2017-10-30, 16:17
(2017-10-30 16:06)jgreggbell Wrote:  
(2017-10-23 16:06)Tin Wrote:  
Your -what- ears?

Tin,
I just now realized why you questioned my choice of words! From this point forward, and for purposes of this forum, I'll try to use a different metaphor for my lack of aural discernment!
Gregg
Maybe you can use aluminium ears and get everybody confused with regards to the correct spelling.
Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out if having a tin-ear telephone system would be a nice upgrade or just a plain horrid idea. Smile
So thank you for that image, I'm quite pleased with it. Smile

As a side note, I definitely don't have golden ears so it all makes sense.

Tin can telephone system.