Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-07-21, 09:38 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Sondek LP12 / 3rd Party Modifications and Parts v / 'Number9' TT AC motor controller web site finally up

'Number9' TT AC motor controller web site finally up
2017-07-17, 12:53
'Number9' TT AC motor controller web site finally up
Well, it's been a long time coming but the web-site for the Number9 "Turntable Control Instrument" AC motor speed controller is finally up. Production release is imminent - but the certification process needs to be completed.

Web-site is: http://www.9tci.com

This is the more expensive one btw - with a touch screen on the front panel. The cheaper version (no touch screen, so you need to plug in your computer to configure it) - called the "Control Freak" - is next up.

I've been using a prototype 'Control Freak' for 18 months - and I love what it's delivered with my 'SkeletaLinn'. Smile

Regards,
Andy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-17, 14:01
RE: 'Number9' TT AC motor controller web site finally up
Neat piece of kit!
2017-07-17, 16:39
Certainly looks the business,

Now who's going to buy one, do a listening test then let us all know the outcome?

Anyone?Rolleyes

KDSM3/Aktive Akubariks/Innuous Zen11
LP12/Ekos/Dynavector XX2/Lingo/Cirkus/Kore/Rega Airia
Kitchen-MDSM/PMC DB1
2017-07-17, 19:15 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-17 19:16 by Peer Gynt.)
Is the idea here that one wants to use closed loop control with an AC motor?

In all honesty, these controllers remind me of what Denon, McIntosh, Tecnics and others have hung their hats on.

You know, there used to be turntables that allowed the listener to make adjustments to platter speed to correct off pitch tuning of the recorded instruments.

All recordings are not perfect. Pitch stability and pitch control are not new ideas.

Just listen .... or not
2017-07-18, 00:14
(2017-07-17 16:39)Dave W Wrote:  Certainly looks the business,

Now who's going to buy one, do a listening test then let us all know the outcome?

Anyone?Rolleyes

I bought a prototype unit about 18 months ago. I had a Lingo 3 on my LP12 and I remember after fitting the 'Number9' speed controller - together with a 24v Premotec - that my sound-stage width increased. (The prototype can only handle these 24v motors.)

Then I made use of the motor controller's increased voltage delivery capability and started feeding more voltage to the motor. Steve and I found this extra voltage increased torque/'drive' and improved dynamics. (But of course, it's only feasible to do this when you have minimised motor vibration by getting the phase angle right! Smile )

Then I moved on from the LP12 to my 'SkeletaLinn' and 2 motors ... with a further improvement in dynamics and bass authority.

Andy
2017-07-18, 01:01
I think the problem for me with a unit like this would be the ever present fear that I hadn't maxed out the musical performance settings every time I played a so so disc.

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station
TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2017-07-18, 02:04
(2017-07-18 01:01)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  I think the problem for me with a unit like this would be the ever present fear that I hadn't maxed out the musical performance settings every time I played a so so disc.

I certainly don't see it as intended for use like Peer Gynt suggests (change speed for each LP) - I merely want to know that my platter is rotating at exactly the theoretically correct speed (at both '33' & '45') ... plus that I'm getting the additional SQ increase from:
* getting motor vibration to practically zero by getting the phase angle right, and
* increasing the voltage going to the motor.

IOW, it's set & forget! Smile

Andy