Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-17, 03:08 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / New Exakt Filter - Akubarik?

New Exakt Filter - Akubarik?
2017-07-19, 10:33
RE: New Exakt Filter - Akubarik?
There are few people here who admit that they suffer from expectation bias. I try to only do upgrades where I am sure the improvement is larger than the expectation bias threshold. Which is of course impossible, but it an excuse to only accept large upgrades as upgrades, so I have that going for.. against??? me. Wink

Tin can telephone system.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-19, 10:42
I must admit, I'm a bit confused. I can't work out if the new filters are downloading, but because of the software glitch, showing up in Konfig as an earlier version. Or earlier versions are being downloaded and being described correctly. I can imagine that some people are praying for the former!

Also, the news of user selectable filters is quite intriguing, and again I'm a bit confused! Could someone please explain what "different filter versions for a given speaker" actually means?

It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing)
2017-07-19, 10:45
it obviously matters to Linn to be able to demonstrate and objective improvement (in a subjective areaTongue. However it has been shown subjective assessments can be objectively assessed with a good degree of confidence).

However to the the single end user only the subjective change (improvement, hopefully) is important.

As they say "Just Listen".Smile

KDSM3/Aktive Akubariks/Innuous Zen11
LP12/Ekos/Dynavector XX2/Lingo/Cirkus/Kore/Rega Airia
Kitchen-MDSM/PMC DB1
2017-07-19, 11:04
I can say two things with certainty. One is that, whether or not it was a reversion, the installation of a different software version on my Exaktbox yesterday did change the sound of my system. The second point is that, the more I listen to my system following the change, the less sure I am that I like it.

Yes, the sound is fuller, particularly at the lower end of the frequency range. But the price of that seems to be a loss of what I called 'transparency', or a slight muddiness. It is less easy, on many recordings to hear individual instruments or voices in context and relate them to the whole musical picture.

I'll wait for the new version of Konfig, and see what transpires. Clarification of what should be the latest software version or the Exaktbox 10 would also be helpful.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-07-19, 11:04
(2017-07-19 10:42)spannko Wrote:  I must admit, I'm a bit confused. I can't work out if the new filters are downloading, but because of the software glitch, showing up in Konfig as an earlier version. Or earlier versions are being downloaded and being described correctly. I can imagine that some people are praying for the former!

Also, the news of user selectable filters is quite intriguing, and again I'm a bit confused! Could someone please explain what "different filter versions for a given speaker" actually means?

Good question. As I understand it, it means that different filter designs (roll-offs etc.) that come along may not be to everyone's taste, so you can now pick and choose.
A bit like the firmware itself.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-19, 11:11
(2017-07-19 11:04)DavidHB Wrote:  I can say two things with certainty. One is that, whether or not it was a reversion, the installation of a different software version on my Exaktbox yesterday did change the sound of my system. The second point is that, the more I listen to my system following the change, the less sure I am that I like it.

Yes, the sound is fuller, particularly at the lower end of the frequency range. But the price of that seems to be a loss of what I called 'transparency', or a slight muddiness. It is less easy, on many recordings to hear individual instruments or voices in context and relate them to the whole musical picture.

I'll wait for the new version of Konfig, and see what transpires. Clarification of what should be the latest software version or the Exaktbox 10 would also be helpful.

David

I agree about the lower end, like you waiting for the new konfig.
2017-07-19, 11:28 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-19 11:32 by DavidHB.)
(2017-07-19 10:42)spannko Wrote:  Could someone please explain what "different filter versions for a given speaker" actually means?

In Konfig settings, I have "show speaker variant versions" ticked. I don't know whether this option is offered if no Exakt system is present. With the setting enabled, for my ADSM the 'Exakt' tab shows drop down menus in the 'Akurate Exaktbox' area. For my system, unsurprisingly, only 'Akubarik filter' is available. However the version box offers versions 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0. I am using 5.0.

For my Kiko (non-Exakt of course), these options do not appear on the 'Speakers' tab. Others will advise whether this is true of other non-Exakt systems as well.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
2017-07-19, 11:46
(2017-07-19 11:28)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-07-19 10:42)spannko Wrote:  Could someone please explain what "different filter versions for a given speaker" actually means?

In Konfig settings, I have "show speaker variant versions" ticked. I don't know whether this option is offered if no Exakt system is present. With the setting enabled, for my ADSM the 'Exakt' tab shows drop down menus in the 'Akurate Exaktbox' area. For my system, unsurprisingly, only 'Akubarik filter' is available. However the version box offers versions 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0. I am using 5.0.

For my Kiko (non-Exakt of course), these options do not appear on the 'Speakers' tab. Others will advise whether this is true of other non-Exakt systems as well.

David

Ah, that might explain things. It looks like we'll be able to roll back to earlier versions of filters. Thanks.

It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing)
2017-07-19, 13:30
I've just re-read post #7 from joshh at Linn on this thread , which seems to suggest that, if I have the filter selection feature, I have the latest Exaktbox software. But I had that feature before the latest download, and I still have it. Hmmm ....

David

2017-07-19, 13:44
(2017-07-19 13:30)DavidHB Wrote:  I've just re-read post #7 from joshh at Linn on this thread , which seems to suggest that, if I have the filter selection feature, I have the latest Exaktbox software. But I had that feature before the latest download, and I still have it. Hmmm ....

David

Well, I haven't tried it, but I have the option in Konfig, giving me filter 4.0 or 5.0.
This is with beta Konfig, but my devices are not on Beta which implies I don't have the 'latest' Exaktbox firmware...

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user