Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-11, 08:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / New Exakt Filter - Akubarik?

New Exakt Filter - Akubarik?
2017-07-19, 15:00
RE: New Exakt Filter - Akubarik?
Well I just tried it. Seems to work (a little bug notwithstanding), but boy does it take a long time to swap filters. Not a lot different to a firmware update.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-19, 15:01
(2017-07-18 09:07)dol Wrote:  If you read paulssurounds post he seems thrilled with the new akubarik filter.

Yes I am thrilled with the sound quality of the new Akubarik filters downloaded a couple of days ago. Big Grin

The new Akubarik filters download, are different issue altogether from the Konfig notice pointing to updating to an older version of Konfig that has failed.

I was able to download the newest Akubarik filters, but not able to download the Konfig update that indicated there was a new (old) Konfig update.

The "update" to Konfig never happened, as there was a warning that the update for Konfig 4.34.71 failed.

I understand that Linn will release a newer version of Konfig, that should fix the update problem.

In am in fact using software version 4.56.177 with 4.33.70 Davaar (beta)

I did not make any adjustments to SPACE optimization, but find the whole presentation to be much better than before the new Akubarik filter update.

The bass is much better, soundstage is much better, emotional involvement is much better, and I do not find any reduction in transparency in my system.

Big Grin

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
Find all posts by this user
2017-07-19, 15:39
(2017-07-19 15:01)Paulssurround Wrote:  Yes I am thrilled with the sound quality of the new Akubarik filters downloaded a couple of days ago. Big Grin

... The bass is much better, soundstage is much better, emotional involvement is much better, and I do not find any reduction in transparency in my system.

@Paul

What version are these filters? AFAIK, I have had the version 5.0 filters for some time. What downloaded for me yesterday was not, so far as I could see, a new set of filters, but version 18.0 of the Akurate Exaktbox firmware.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-07-19, 15:51
(2017-07-19 15:39)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-07-19 15:01)Paulssurround Wrote:  Yes I am thrilled with the sound quality of the new Akubarik filters downloaded a couple of days ago. Big Grin

... The bass is much better, soundstage is much better, emotional involvement is much better, and I do not find any reduction in transparency in my system.

@Paul

What version are these filters? AFAIK, I have had the version 5.0 filters for some time. What downloaded for me yesterday was not, so far as I could see, a new set of filters, but version 18.0 of the Akurate Exaktbox firmware.

David

Hi David,

I have the following:

Akubarik Exakt Firmware (19.0)
Exakt Fallback Firmware(3.0)
Exakt Compiler (21.0)
Akubarik Dimensions (2.0)
Akubarik Exakt Filter by Linn (3.0)

I have the Exakt Akubariks, but not driven by an external Exaktbox.

Cheers
Paul

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-07-19, 16:01
Thanks, Paul. So here are my versions with the Exaktbox (yours in brackets).

Akubarik Exakt Firmware 18.0 (19.0)
Exakt Fallback Firmware 3.0 (3.0)
Exakt Compiler 20.0 (21.0)
Akubarik Dimensions 2.0 (2.0)
Akubarik Exakt Filter by Linn 5.0 (3.0)

An interesting comparison. Apart from what could be described as 'administrative' items, our two Akubarik systems are running completely different versions of the firmware. We don't need to (dis)agree on the effects of our respective updates, as we simply have no basis for comparison ...

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-07-19, 16:25
The Source is.. being recompiled..

Tin can telephone system.
2017-07-19, 16:57
(2017-07-19 16:01)DavidHB Wrote:  Thanks, Paul. So here are my versions with the Exaktbox (yours in brackets).

Akubarik Exakt Firmware 18.0 (19.0)
Exakt Fallback Firmware 3.0 (3.0)
Exakt Compiler 20.0 (21.0)
Akubarik Dimensions 2.0 (2.0)
Akubarik Exakt Filter by Linn 5.0 (3.0)

An interesting comparison. Apart from what could be described as 'administrative' items, our two Akubarik systems are running completely different versions of the firmware. We don't need to (dis)agree on the effects of our respective updates, as we simply have no basis for comparison ...

David

That's interesting. I wonder if this means that third party Exakt filters will be accommodated in the future, or we could design our own using Exakt.Design?

It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing)
2017-07-19, 17:23 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-19 17:26 by joshh.)
(2017-07-19 13:30)DavidHB Wrote:  I've just re-read post #7 from joshh at Linn on this thread , which seems to suggest that, if I have the filter selection feature, I have the latest Exaktbox software. But I had that feature before the latest download, and I still have it. Hmmm ....

If you have the filter selection functionality, that implies you are running the latest beta Konfig (aka 4.34.71 or higher)

This new functionality lead to various different issues regarding spurious updates to most Exakt setups (attempting to convince users to downgrade).

The only actual filter designs that have been updated in all of this are for the Klimax 350. The exakt compiler remains unchanged, and the only firmware changes are related to bug fixes which only affect Katalyst hardware.

The new filter selection functionality allows users to try different filter design versions and choose whichever one they prefer. Only filter designs compatible with the latest firmware and compiler will be shown (which is why you might see version 3,4,5 and not 1 or 2). This means that choosing a different filter version will not change the firmware or compiler version in use (although the time taken to apply this change is not sympathetic to this fact).

If anyone needs any further clarification about whether or not their setup is on the latest version(s), please let me know.

Josh

PS - we are planning on providing names for each of the available filter versions to aid in understanding what the differences will be (rather than the confusing pick a number approach)
2017-07-20, 05:18
Hi Josh. Would it also be possible to have a release history of Exakt firmware/compiler in the same form as shown in the '?' by each Exakt device in Konfig?
What I mean is, the Exakt firmware notes here: http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Ex...ease_Notes relate to version numbers that don't match anything seen in Konfig (in my case firmware 13.0, compiler 19.0) or anywhere as far as I can see, so are pretty meaningless.

I assume it's because each Exakt device/speaker configuration have disparate 'versions' under the same release, but without any cross-reference it's very hard to keep track. Eg. is Exakt version 4.51.110 the same for everyone? Or only Katalyst? Or am I (Exaktbox-I and 140s) on 4.50.100? Or 4.27.1747 even? And where are the compiler version histories?

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-20, 07:25
Reading through this thread and having experienced the difference in sounds myself has anyone actually questioned what is going on? I bought my system on the grounds it sounded so good, which it does. Yet here we are discussing an improvement that makes it sound better!! Shouldn't it have sounded like that in the first place? Are we admitting that we paid a lot of money for something that is still being perfected. I agree we need to keep improving but when you bought your system, did you not think it was perfect. We're we expecting or told that we would have to upgrade software to make it sound better?
Just saying.