Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-18, 04:58 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / New Exakt Filter - Akubarik?

New Exakt Filter - Akubarik?
2017-07-20, 07:40
RE: New Exakt Filter - Akubarik?
(2017-07-20 07:25)Scooter Wrote:  Reading through this thread and having experienced the difference in sounds myself has anyone actually questioned what is going on? I bought my system on the grounds it sounded so good, which it does. Yet here we are discussing an improvement that makes it sound better!! Shouldn't it have sounded like that in the first place? Are we admitting that we paid a lot of money for something that is still being perfected. I agree we need to keep improving but when you bought your system, did you not think it was perfect. We're we expecting or told that we would have to upgrade software to make it sound better?
Just saying.

I don't think it's any different to iPhones for example. Technology progresses, you get the best you can at the time, so when we bought our systems they were the best they could be at the time. New generations of iPhones come out and peeps pay zillions for the latest and supposedly best. :Linn continues to develop and improve - and we don't have to pay a penny Smile

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-20, 08:33
(2017-07-19 16:01)DavidHB Wrote:  Thanks, Paul. So here are my versions with the Exaktbox (yours in brackets).

Akubarik Exakt Firmware 18.0 (19.0)
Exakt Fallback Firmware 3.0 (3.0)
Exakt Compiler 20.0 (21.0)
Akubarik Dimensions 2.0 (2.0)
Akubarik Exakt Filter by Linn 5.0 (3.0)

An interesting comparison. Apart from what could be described as 'administrative' items, our two Akubarik systems are running completely different versions of the firmware. We don't need to (dis)agree on the effects of our respective updates, as we simply have no basis for comparison ...

David

I'm also interested to shed some light into the different versions offered.

Paul: Do you know what your versions were before the latest "up/downgrade"?

DavidHB: Our systems are very similar, but for me, Konfig reports "Akurate Exaktbox Firmware (Stereo)" instead of "Akubarik Exakt Firmware". So the version numbers might not be comparable to Paul's in this case.

Here are my current versions:

Akurate Exaktbox Firmware (Stereo) (20.0)
Exakt Compiler (21.0)
Exakt fallback firmware (3.0)
Akubarik Filter by Linn (5.0)
Akubarik Dimensions by Linn (2.0)

The current "up/downgrade" (which I did not apply) offers only the filter downgrade - Akubarik Filter by Linn (3.0), and no other change.

AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox, 2*A4200/D, C2200/D, Akubariks
Majik DS-I, Katans
Find all posts by this user
2017-07-20, 11:13
(2017-07-20 08:33)Macallan Wrote:  DavidHB: Our systems are very similar, but for me, Konfig reports "Akurate Exaktbox Firmware (Stereo)" instead of "Akubarik Exakt Firmware". So the version numbers might not be comparable to Paul's in this case.

Exakt Compiler (21.0)

The differences between your system and mine are even more intriguing than those between our systems and Paul's, given that we both have Exaktboxes. I have acknowledged that the change I had the other day could have been a downgrade. But then I have the filter selection option, which apparently indicates that I have the latest firmware. Could it be that the firmware version that is installed is speaker/filter dependant?

Given all the uncertainties, I'm not sure I know what 'comparable' might mean in this instance (other than the obvious, literal meaning that we can compare the version numbers, of course). I think that we can reasonably assume that there is a single sequence of version numbers. But I have no idea what the differences between versions might be, and therefore how relevant the differences are.

(2017-07-20 08:33)Macallan Wrote:  The current "up/downgrade" (which I did not apply) offers only the filter downgrade - Akubarik Filter by Linn (3.0), and no other change.

I didn't get that downgrade offered, and, after the software change, I'm still on version 5.0 of the filters. All I installed, as far as I can see, was a (possibly) new version of the Exaktbox firmware, which also involved the associated processes, such as the (re-)generation of binary data.

There has been no short notice update to Konfig since this discussion started and the Linn team acknowledged that there was an issue to fix. I'm going to assume that I have the 'correct' software suite unless and until Konfig tells me otherwise.

The bigger job is extended listening, to come to a clear view of the effects of the software change. The latest report on that is that my mood swings (initial cautious enthusiasm followed by emerging concerns) have settled down, and, from the process of working through a couple of saved playlists of familiar items last evening, I think that the performance of the system is essentially unchanged (good!), but there is a bit more fullness and definition at the lower end of the frequency spectrum. So I'm not feeling the need to revert whatever the change actually was.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-07-20, 11:38
Unfortunately this spurious update bug has inspired some doubt and concern about latest versions. A new beta version of Konfig will be available today that fixes the last of the problems.
Firstly a gentle reminder that all updates are optional. If you are happy with the way your system sounds, don't bother applying the free updates and just listen.
For those that are happy applying updates as we move forward with technology, I am going to try and explain Exakt versions as best I can.

When an update becomes available for your system, you are presented with the version numbers for each of the five components involved (as related to your specific system):

1. Firmware
This is the engine that drives the Exakt hardware. Should always be the latest version.
If you are running the latest Konfig and have updated, you will be using the latest version.
There are only a handful of unique variants:
  • 1 Channel 5 Way - Akurate Exaktbox, Majik Exaktbox (mono - single speaker connected to Exaktbox)
  • 1 Channel 6 Way - Klimax Exaktbox, Klimax Exakt 350, Akubarik Exakt, Akudorik Exakt, Dorik Exakt Upgrade Stand, Akurate Exaktbox, 520, 530 (mono)
  • 2 Channel 3 Way - Klimax Exaktbox, Akurate Exaktbox 6, Exaktbox Sub (stereo - single speaker connected to Exaktbox)
  • 2 Channel 5 Way - Akurate Exaktbox, Majik Exaktbox-I (stereo)
  • 1 Channel 6 Way Katalyst - Klimax Exaktbox Katalyst, Klimax Exakt Katalyst (mono)
  • 2 Channel 5 Way Katalyst - Klimax Exaktbox Katalyst (stereo)

2. Compiler
This compiles all the components together in a format that is consumable by Exakt hardware and Konfig. Should always be the latest version.
If you are running the latest Konfig and have updated, you will be using the latest version.

3. Fallback Firmware
This allows for safe reflashing of Exakt hardware. Should always be the latest version.

4. Filter
Crossover design for a given speaker. Moving forward, this is the only component in the system that we will offer the ability to select between versions.
We only release a new filter if acoustic theory says that the changes will be better, then measurement says that the changes are better, then listening says that the changes really are better.
That said, an older filter may be more to your liking. You can choose from the drop-down list and decide for yourself.
You will only ever be offered filter options that are fully compatible with the latest version of all the other components, as these will never be downgraded.
Konfig now offers the option to select filters by version number. These will be enhanced to include descriptions as well, such as:
  • Independent drive unit modelling
  • Independent highest frequency modelling
  • Extended drive unit modelling

For a complete filter version history, you can use this design tool (danger, lots of tedious technical information): http://static.linnapi.com/exaktV2/ExaktWebView.html

5. Dimensions
Physical measurements of a given speaker. Should always be the latest version.

Regarding the Exakt release notes page: http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Ex...ease_Notes
As there are a myriad of different possible system setups, the Exakt release notes page is an attempt to give an overview of what the latest Exakt development has been in the lead up to a new release.
This page is meant as a quick reference to what has changed rather than a detailed system specific release history. The top level numbers (4.x.x) are really only a way for Linn to identify a collection of different design files released together.
2017-07-20, 12:45
Thanks Josh. The above post is very informative and clears up many things. Even the filter version history is useful to have.
I think posts like that should be given sticky status in the FAQ section (or in the Exakt subforum) of the new forum design Jim Collinson is proposing.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-20, 15:49
Great post joshh. Thanks.

Could you possibly edit in the EDSM part too please?

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-07-20, 16:31
(2017-07-20 15:49)sunbeamgls Wrote:  Could you possibly edit in the EDSM part too please?

Sorry, I am not sure what you mean.
2017-07-20, 17:26
Still some strange behaviour on my system I do not have time to fully write up at the moment. I had to try several times to update to Konfig 4.34.72 on a Windows system and it keeps failing ('The update failed') on a Mac (which is still running 4.34.71)

The Mac Konfig (4.34.71) is saying everything on the Klimax EDSM and Klimax Katalyst Exaktbox is up to date. The Windows Konfig (4.34.72) says I should 'upgrade' to Keilidh 038 Tweeter for Klimax Katalyst Exaktbox (stereo) (9.0) 20th June 2017

Is this 20th June version the latest beta for my Klmax Katalyst Exaktbox? (Klimax EDSM is running 4.56.177)
2017-07-21, 01:16
(2017-07-20 08:33)Macallan Wrote:  
(2017-07-19 16:01)DavidHB Wrote:  Thanks, Paul. So here are my versions with the Exaktbox (yours in brackets).

Akubarik Exakt Firmware 18.0 (19.0)
Exakt Fallback Firmware 3.0 (3.0)
Exakt Compiler 20.0 (21.0)
Akubarik Dimensions 2.0 (2.0)
Akubarik Exakt Filter by Linn 5.0 (3.0)

An interesting comparison. Apart from what could be described as 'administrative' items, our two Akubarik systems are running completely different versions of the firmware. We don't need to (dis)agree on the effects of our respective updates, as we simply have no basis for comparison ...

David

I'm also interested to shed some light into the different versions offered.

Paul: Do you know what your versions were before the latest "up/downgrade"?

DavidHB: Our systems are very similar, but for me, Konfig reports "Akurate Exaktbox Firmware (Stereo)" instead of "Akubarik Exakt Firmware". So the version numbers might not be comparable to Paul's in this case.

Exakt Compiler (21.0)

The current "up/downgrade" (which I did not apply) offers only the filter downgrade - Akubarik Filter by Linn (3.0), and no other change.

Sorry Macallan,

I don't know what the previous versions were.

Exakt Surround 5.0:
AEDSM, Exakt Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-07-21, 08:11
(2017-07-20 16:31)joshh Wrote:  
(2017-07-20 15:49)sunbeamgls Wrote:  Could you possibly edit in the EDSM part too please?

Sorry, I am not sure what you mean.

You've listed all the Exaktbox firmware and software but don't mention where the EDSM and its software fit into the picture.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk