Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 09:32 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / Akubariks On Steroids Using the Latest Akubarik Filters

Akubariks On Steroids Using the Latest Akubarik Filters
2017-07-18, 07:16
Akubariks On Steroids Using the Latest Akubarik Filters
Earlier this evening, I downloaded the newest Akubarik filters for my Exakt Akubariks.

Wow, great improvement in sound quality.

It was a shaky start, as my system had been on standby, with no warm up time. The bass seemed a bit bloated at first, but then I played several songs and it all started to fall into place as it warmed up.

I decided to line up my reference playlist of songs, and it was a revelation.

The music soundstage seems much bigger than before, with greater height and depth.

Bass seems to have reached a new level of lower frequency information and the mids and highs held together nicely with more detail, and a much more organic and natural sound quality.

This one sounds like a real winner to me, and to my ears the best sounding my system has ever been.

There were a couple of glitches initially.

I was not able to download the newest Davaar 178, as I get an instant warning that the update failed. I have tried to update this a few times over the last few days.

But I had no problem downloading the new filters for the Akubariks.

My iPad did not respond well to commands and I could not adjust volume via the iPad, nor would it load songs into the playlist. But the iPad is now working fine as a control device for Kinsky and Kazoo.

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-18, 13:59 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-18 14:00 by DavidHB.)
RE: Akubariks On Steroids Using the Latest Akubarik Filters
There seems to be some confusion about version numbers and dates, and Davaar 178 does not seem to be on offer at the moment. I have also learned to rein in my enthusiasm when installing new software.

Setting these points aside, my initial impressions are similar to Paul's. I'd certainly agree with his statement that:

"Bass seems to have reached a new level of lower frequency information and the mids and highs held together nicely"

But more listening is needed before I can be as fulsome as Paul in my praise.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-07-18, 15:09
(2017-07-18 13:59)DavidHB Wrote:  There seems to be some confusion about version numbers and dates, and Davaar 178 does not seem to be on offer at the moment. I have also learned to rein in my enthusiasm when installing new software.

Setting these points aside, my initial impressions are similar to Paul's. I'd certainly agree with his statement that:

"Bass seems to have reached a new level of lower frequency information and the mids and highs held together nicely"

But more listening is needed before I can be as fulsome as Paul in my praise.

David

A sensible approach - often a change is just that, and not always an improvement, although it can be both a change and an improvement. Best to give it some time Smile

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-07-18, 15:29
Please see response here:

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.p...#pid444283
2017-07-18, 16:07
(2017-07-18 15:29)joshh Wrote:  Please see response here:

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.p...#pid444283

I have just sent the following reply to a PM request from Simon:

Hello Simon,

I do participate in the beta program, for both device and Konfig betas.

I am currently on Konfig (Beta) 4.33.70 Davaar

I am running software version 4.56.177

Whenever I launch Konfig, I get a message that there is an update for Konfig 4.34.71, which is a message that has showed up in the last 4-5 days or so. If I try to update it, I get a message immediately that the update has failed.

Given the new advice, I will ignore this message.

I was not able to find a page called "Feed override"?

I hope this is helpful.

All the best
Paul

However, I just clicked on the SPACE optimization tab, and I am not given access to SPACE optimization at the moment.

It says I need Davaar version 4.34.71 or newer to work?

The plot thickens. Rolleyes

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
2017-07-18, 16:22 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-18 16:26 by joshh.)
There is a separate problem to do with downloading Konfig from our cloud server. This is failing and we are attempting to fix it currently.

The update to ignore was related to exakt devices only. As you have not been able to download Konfig 4.34.71, this problem is not relevant to you (yet).

EDIT: looks like you managed to apply the Akubarik 'update' before it was tied to the latest beta Konfig version. This is why space optimisation is not working for you presently. Once the latest Konfig is downloadable again you will be fine.
2017-07-18, 18:01
(2017-07-18 16:22)joshh Wrote:  There is a separate problem to do with downloading Konfig from our cloud server. This is failing and we are attempting to fix it currently.

The update to ignore was related to exakt devices only. As you have not been able to download Konfig 4.34.71, this problem is not relevant to you (yet).

EDIT: looks like you managed to apply the Akubarik 'update' before it was tied to the latest beta Konfig version. This is why space optimisation is not working for you presently. Once the latest Konfig is downloadable again you will be fine.

Thanks Josh.

Exakt Surround 5.0:
2017-07-25, 08:43
The Akubariks rock indeed with this filter. I may even reduce bass shelf a bit.
Thank you Linn!

Exakt Akubariks - Akurate EDSM
2017-07-25, 11:05
(2017-07-25 08:43)LowLinns Wrote:  The Akubariks rock indeed with this filter. I may even reduce bass shelf a bit.

I hesitate to use superlatives, but, after initial enthusiasm followed by a period of doubt, I am now settling down very nicely with the combination of firmware (20.0 (stereo)) and filters (5.0) now installed on my system. (Somehow the firmware version moved up a couple of notches while I wasn't looking.)

Because I am finding the system so easy to listen to, I was surprised to discover this morning that the performance gap between my Kiko and the Exakt system has widened more than somewhat. Instead of being a couple of divisions down, the Kiko is now simply not in the same league as its big sibling. This suggests to me that, more generally, Exakt at any level is moving further ahead of its passive counterpart. I really, really hope that there's going to be a Katalyst Akurate Exaktbox 10 ...

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-07-25, 11:20
Would you say Kiko is a sibling to Akurate? Even without Exakt? Siblings (other than twins) share 50% the same genes. Cousins (12.5%) or niece/nephew (25%) maybe closer? Wink
Just saying..

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user