Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-15, 03:37 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / Akubariks On Steroids Using the Latest Akubarik Filters

Akubariks On Steroids Using the Latest Akubarik Filters
2017-08-01, 18:00
RE: Akubariks On Steroids Using the Latest Akubarik Filters
(2017-08-01 17:00)timster Wrote:  Originally yes Wink They would be Activ-ated now though.

Oooo, game on, game on ...

I think we can agree that the product name will not change whether used in a passive system or driven actively, the product name will remain Akubarik Passive.

Further, a passive speaker is one that contains only passive components. An active speaker is one that contains active components like power amplifiers or active crossovers, e.g. Exakt Akubarik, ATC SCM100A, Event Opals, etc. LINN1989's speakers are passive speakers as they only contain passive components, even if they are driven actively by external active components. LINN1989 could have been more definitive by saying his speakers were "passive akubariks driven externally active" but this would be redundant as it's implied by the mention of Klimax Exaktboxes.

[Says all this whilst looking sheepishly at own signature, but simply resolved by saying Aktiv refers to the mode of operation, not the type of speaker ]

ADSM/1 -> ATC SCM19A's
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-01, 19:44 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-01 19:45 by DavidHB.)
(2017-08-01 18:00)Music at Home Wrote:  Aktiv refers to the mode of operation, not the type of speaker

Well, yes, except that there used to be a speaker model called the Akubarik Aktiv ... Smile

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-08-01, 20:15 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-01 20:36 by Music at Home.)
Indeed, and all three versions listed here:

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Akubarik

What I meant, but wasn't precise enough, was that *my* use of the word Aktiv in my signature was referring to the mode of operation of my speakers in my specific instance, rather than implying that Aktiv generically always means externally activated. I guess after this I'll have to be constantly careful with my use of terminology or I'll be hoisted by my own petard Big Grin

ADSM/1 -> ATC SCM19A's
2017-08-01, 20:50
(2017-08-01 20:15)Music at Home Wrote:  What I meant, but wasn't precise enough, was that *my* use of the word Aktiv in my signature was referring to the mode of operation of my speakers in my specific instance, rather than implying that Aktiv generically always means externally activated. I guess after this I'll have to be constantly careful with my use of terminology or I'll be hoisted by my own petard Big Grin

You can always console yourself with the thought that it's impossible to make things foolproof, because fools are just too clever ... Smile

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
2017-08-02, 06:11
Errr, seems I've started a "heated debate" (cf Mrs Merton Smile).
So the speakers themselves are called Passive when they left the factory, but the passive components are bypassed after the fact and the mode of operation becomes Activ... Perhaps the product name is simply "Akubarik". Exakt really does put the kat among the pigeons Wink

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-02, 07:36
What we can all agree on is that the Exakted Akubariks (external boxes or inside the speaker) with the isobarik bass are the standout speaker line in the Linn range.
2017-08-02, 09:00
(2017-08-02 07:36)LINN1989 Wrote:  What we can all agree on is that the Exakted Akubariks (external boxes or inside the speaker) with the isobarik bass are the standout speaker line in the Linn range.

I think others may strongly disagree:
http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/linn-pr...ax-system/

Unless you mean affordable speaker line... Wink

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-08-02, 09:14 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-02 11:46 by DavidHB.)
(2017-08-02 06:11)timster Wrote:  So the speakers themselves are called Passive when they left the factory, but the passive components are bypassed after the fact and the mode of operation becomes Activ... Perhaps the product name is simply "Akubarik". Exakt really does put the kat among the pigeons Wink

The model name, as per Linn documents, is Akubarik Passive. That presumably does not change through the life of the speaker. To be used with an Exaktbox (a capability that is part of the published specification), the speaker (again according to Linn documentation) has to be made Aktiv, a process which involves only the swapping over of a couple of internal connections and which can easily be reversed. At that point (and, as it happens, in my own system), the speaker is an Akubarik Passive made Aktiv.

Those are the facts. Make of them what you will, as the basis for a "heated debate", they hardly pass the 'so what?' test. Smile

David

2017-08-02, 09:28
(2017-08-02 09:00)timster Wrote:  
(2017-08-02 07:36)LINN1989 Wrote:  What we can all agree on is that the Exakted Akubariks (external boxes or inside the speaker) with the isobarik bass are the standout speaker line in the Linn range.

I'm pretty sure the Akudoriks are the standout speakers. The smaller cabinets are very rigid which is a Good Thing ™.

The *barik design has it disadvantages because they seem to cause compression under higher loads.
The Katalysted 350s are obviously the best all-in-one solution, but pair the Akudoriks with a small platoon of Twins and Katalyst Klimax Exaktboxes and I am pretty sure which setup I'd prefer.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-08-02, 09:47 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-02 09:49 by timster.)
(2017-08-02 09:28)Tin Wrote:  
(2017-08-02 09:00)timster Wrote:  

I'm pretty sure the Akudoriks are the standout speakers. The smaller cabinets are very rigid which is a Good Thing ™.

The *barik design has it disadvantages because they seem to cause compression under higher loads.
The Katalysted 350s are obviously the best all-in-one solution, but pair the Akudoriks with a small platoon of Twins and Katalyst Klimax Exaktboxes and I am pretty sure which setup I'd prefer.

Funnily enough, of all my upgrade options, changing my 140s for the Akudoriks is the most affordable in the shortest time (even if the stands are extra) as I can still use the MEBox-I.
Good combination?

(2017-08-02 09:14)DavidHB Wrote:  ....

Those are the facts. Make of them what you will, as the basis for a "heated debate", they hardly pass the 'so what?' test. Smile

David

Quite. Tongue was firmly in cheek.

Hello to Jason Isaacs