Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-15, 05:40 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / Akubariks On Steroids Using the Latest Akubarik Filters

Akubariks On Steroids Using the Latest Akubarik Filters
2017-08-02, 10:00
RE: Akubariks On Steroids Using the Latest Akubarik Filters
(2017-08-02 09:00)timster Wrote:  
(2017-08-02 07:36)LINN1989 Wrote:  What we can all agree on is that the Exakted Akubariks (external boxes or inside the speaker) with the isobarik bass are the standout speaker line in the Linn range.

I think others may strongly disagree:
http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/linn-pr...ax-system/

Unless you mean affordable speaker line... Wink

affordable will always be subjective...

'troll
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-02, 10:37 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-02 10:38 by timster.)
Can't find manual for the Akudoriks. Is it too simplistic to assume the Akubarik is an Akudorik with the Isobarik bass? And the Akudorik is the new name for the Akurate 212 (trying to compare frequency responses with the 140s, this is the best I can do for comparison)?

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-02, 12:06
(2017-08-02 09:28)Tin Wrote:  I'm pretty sure the Akudoriks are the standout speakers. The smaller cabinets are very rigid which is a Good Thing ™.

The *barik design has it disadvantages because they seem to cause compression under higher loads.

Well, I was unconvinced by the Exakt Akudoriks at the demonstration I had, and I loved the passive Akubariks from the moment I first heard them. Exakted, they are (to me) another level better again. Make of all that what you will.

Favour is a fickle thing. I can remember a time on the forum when all the praise was for the Akubariks (with some people saying they were better than the 350s, which even I found hard to credit). At the moment, quite a few people are speaking up for the Akudoriks. We can discuss technicalities till the cows come home, but only one's own ears can guide one's preferences. I bought my Akubariks ex demo, and so not at vastly greater cost than a new pair of passive Akudoriks, and eighteen months on I remain very happy with that deal.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-08-02, 12:25
(2017-08-02 10:37)timster Wrote:  Can't find manual for the Akudoriks. Is it too simplistic to assume the Akubarik is an Akudorik with the Isobarik bass?

Yes. Both were designed, as I understand it, from first principles. Linn, like any other manufacturer, used wherever possible technology and components with which they were familiar. You'd expect there to be a family resemblance between the speakers, but it would be wrong to characterise the Akubarik as an Akudorik with bolt on extras. There are all the structural differences between full size and standmount speakers (look at the cast bases and fittings on the Akubariks) and the crossovers in passive mode will also be pretty different.

In fact, it would be fairer to say that the Akubarik is a 242 with the forward facing lower bass unit replaced with a downward facing isobaric pair, but even this does not do justice to the design differences between the two models.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
2017-08-02, 12:38
(2017-08-02 12:25)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-08-02 10:37)timster Wrote:  Can't find manual for the Akudoriks. Is it too simplistic to assume the Akubarik is an Akudorik with the Isobarik bass?

Yes. Both were designed, as I understand it, from first principles. Linn, like any other manufacturer, used wherever possible technology and components with which they were familiar. You'd expect there to be a family resemblance between the speakers, but it would be wrong to characterise the Akubarik as an Akudorik with bolt on extras. There are all the structural differences between full size and standmount speakers (look at the cast bases and fittings on the Akubariks) and the crossovers in passive mode will also be pretty different.

In fact, it would be fairer to say that the Akubarik is a 242 with the forward facing lower bass unit replaced with a downward facing isobaric pair, but even this does not do justice to the design differences between the two models.

David

Yes, from a structural and internals point of view they would be very different. But the 4 shared drive units' characteristics and specifications (3K array and bass) would be the same I presume. And in fact, is the 3K array the same as on the 350s?

The reason I was asking re. the 212 was that I wanted to know the frequency response spec. of the 'dorics. The 212 looks to me very like a 'doric, and is the only one with an available online manual. (Strange though that the 'barik has a manual while the 'doric doesn't!)

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-08-02, 12:46 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-02 12:46 by Tin.)
(2017-08-02 10:37)timster Wrote:  Can't find manual for the Akudoriks. Is it too simplistic to assume the Akubarik is an Akudorik with the Isobarik bass? And the Akudorik is the new name for the Akurate 212 (trying to compare frequency responses with the 140s, this is the best I can do for comparison)?
I think the Akudoriks are better than the 212s, they're 3rd generation 212s if you like, with a touch of 320s thrown in, but the frequency response should be similar.

You could also look for a pair of 2nd hand 212 MkIIs as those have measured 3K arrays, where my MkIs have guestimated 3K arrays. Second hand 212s sometimes can be found surprisingly cheap especially as they were seen as among the best standmounted speakers in the world, bested of course by Aktiv 320s.

You are more than welcome to visit my setup, and if you bring your Exaktbox we could even make a direct comparison.

@DavidHB: I should have added a few smileys in that previous message.
The difference between 350s, Akubariks and Akudoriks, all other things being equal, is mostly a matter of taste. Each has their pros and cons, although the Katalysted 350s seem to be digitally cured from most of their issues, and their servo controlled woofers are a 'nice' touch.

Personally I wasn't wowed by the bass performance of Exaktubariks when I heard them, and the fact that with every new filter everybody is wowed by the gains in that section it is obvious that there has been room for improvement there. So maybe I should listen to them again. Having said that, I really love the low end performance of my subs, and if anything I'll try to collect more of them. Wink

Tin can telephone system.
2017-08-02, 14:08
(2017-08-02 12:46)Tin Wrote:  The difference between 350s, Akubariks and Akudoriks, all other things being equal, is mostly a matter of taste. Each has their pros and cons, although the Katalysted 350s seem to be digitally cured from most of their issues, and their servo controlled woofers are a 'nice' touch.

I'm bound to agree with the sentiment, though presumably Linn feel they can justify the not inconsiderable price differences between the various models.

(2017-08-02 12:46)Tin Wrote:  Personally I wasn't wowed by the bass performance of Exaktubariks when I heard them, and the fact that with every new filter everybody is wowed by the gains in that section it is obvious that there has been room for improvement there. So maybe I should listen to them again. Having said that, I really love the low end performance of my subs, and if anything I'll try to collect more of them. Wink

As discussed so many times before on the forum, the quality of the setup is key to the effectiveness of the demo. I know that Chris of Hidden Systems, where I had my two most recent demos, is almost fanatically concerned to get the best out of his listening rooms, and that no doubt was a significant factor in my liking what I heard.

Beyond that, it does seem to me from what I have learned on the forum that, if there is one issue on which listener perceptions tend to differ markedly, it is on the amount and quality of the bass produced by the system, both on its own and in relation to the other parts of the frequency spectrum. As one who listens mainly to classical music, like anyone else I want the bass to be clearly heard (and occasionally felt), but I don't want it to be intrusive. As classical music is entirely acoustic with little or no reinforcement, that balance can be as hard to achieve in the concert hall as in the studio.

I guess that the likes of Briain and yourself would find my system a tad bass light. But I like it as it is. I've experimented both with a bass shelf and with reducing the effect of the SO mode filters, but, with the virtual room dimensions I am using, the calculated SO values work well for me. However, I do know that the Akubariks can produce some serious bass if you let them. I have some organ recordings in which the 16' (and in some cases 32') pedal notes are felt rather than heard, even in my listening room with its concrete floor.

David

2017-08-02, 15:03
(2017-08-02 14:08)DavidHB Wrote:  I guess that the likes of Briain and yourself would find my system a tad bass light. But I like it as it is.
I'm not even sure about that. I can't speak for Briain or his setup obviously, but Paulssurround found to his surprise no reason to discuss the amount of bass when he SPACED out my system.
When I got my second sub, I lowered the volume of the first one. Together both subs are tighter, deliver more pressure and the bass is better balanced. I guess that with more it would be even better, and as my sub of choice sometimes pops up below € 200, it is an affordable hobby. And one has never enough coffee tables. Wink

I do suspect though that my choice of music is more bass heavy in general, although I'm sometimes baffled by the amount of bass a chello can produce in a string quartet.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-08-02, 16:03
(2017-08-02 15:03)Tin Wrote:  I do suspect though that my choice of music is more bass heavy in general, although I'm sometimes baffled by the amount of bass a cello can produce in a string quartet.

Indeed. I often wonder how much of that is a product of the greater amount of energy (more air shifted farther) compared with the sound of the violin, and how much is the psychology of hearing. All players of instruments in the violin family do everything possible to vary their tonal palette, even to the point of changing the instrument, but I think that cellists do this most of all.

Take for example the Bach solo Cello Sonatas as played by Steven Isserlis - a deliberately lighter and more agile interpretation than those of predecessors such as Tortelier or Rostropovich (who recorded his set in the reverberant acoustic of the undercroft of the basilica at Vézelay to get a big, big tone). Then play Isserlis' recording with Robert Cohen of the Beethoven Cello Sonatas. Even though Cohen is playing a fortepiano, Isserlis plays with a much weightier tone than he does in the Bach - which is entirely appropriate to the music.

I really enjoy the way my system, and not least the Akubariks within it, can bring out these differences, which are more important to me than sheer wight in the bass. Coming back to the topic of the thread, that is one of the aspects of the system which has certainly benefited from the progressive refinement of the Exakt firmware and filters.

David

2017-08-02, 16:09
(2017-08-02 12:46)Tin Wrote:  
(2017-08-02 10:37)timster Wrote:  Can't find manual for the Akudoriks. Is it too simplistic to assume the Akubarik is an Akudorik with the Isobarik bass? And the Akudorik is the new name for the Akurate 212 (trying to compare frequency responses with the 140s, this is the best I can do for comparison)?
I think the Akudoriks are better than the 212s, they're 3rd generation 212s if you like, with a touch of 320s thrown in, but the frequency response should be similar.

You could also look for a pair of 2nd hand 212 MkIIs as those have measured 3K arrays, where my MkIs have guestimated 3K arrays. Second hand 212s sometimes can be found surprisingly cheap especially as they were seen as among the best standmounted speakers in the world, bested of course by Aktiv 320s.

You are more than welcome to visit my setup, and if you bring your Exaktbox we could even make a direct comparison.

Thanks for the offer Wink

September I will have a better idea what route to take. But hopefully my local dealer will have a pair of 'dorics I can listen to. I know he has 140s so a straight A/B should be relatively easy to set up. Whether he can demo exakt, activ, passive I don't know, but if they are both used in the same configuration it shouldn't matter too much.

Hello to Jason Isaacs