Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-12, 09:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / Akubariks On Steroids Using the Latest Akubarik Filters

Akubariks On Steroids Using the Latest Akubarik Filters
2017-08-04, 10:12 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-04 13:51 by FunkMan.)
RE: Akubariks On Steroids Using the Latest Akubarik Filters
Hi folks,

I'm an owner of E350 (non Kata) I have to disagree about sonic advantages of Filter 5 or (even worse) Filter 6 !

First I have to say a BIG THANK YOU guys from Linn development for the new (beta) release in which one have an option about which Filter should be applied to speaker. I was waiting a long time but Phil promised that this will be a feature for the new release and kept his word !

Linn has done a lot of measurements and listening sessions, they prefer filter 5 - as many other users do, still engineering decided to change the software in a way that each user can choose his preferred filter.

And we all know that such a major shift in a software design is time consuming and costly. Something which I'm really aware off and also something which keeps me with Linn (even as was really thinking of leaving Linn after 25 years due to the sonic drawback of filter 5).

I'm primarily listen to Vinyl and filter 5 was the reason my system was off more than 4 month. As to my opinion this filter limits dynamic, rythm and pace. The advantage is the very precise location of instruments and a smooth presentation with a well pronounced bass (which lacks agility , sorry guys ). Hence I prefer by far nr. 3.

Anyhow there are other opinions about nr. 3 - and this is something I also have to accept.

Kudos to Linn engineering

FunkMan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-04, 11:41 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-05 11:01 by spannko.)
So Linn have released a filter which they know is worse than the previous version?

How did you hear about that?

EDIT: You've modified your post, so my question is no longer relevant.

It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing)
2017-08-04, 11:52
Hi Spannko,

no, Linn told me that filter 5 is bettering filter 3, due to measurements and by their own listening !

It's me who is listening too (and others) , and my ears tell me something else.

There is a contradiction, indeed. But as you can read in this thread, there are many people out there who loves filter 5 - as Linn does.

Anyhow - I'm very satiesfied that Linn listen to their clients (even they come to other conclusions)

Hope this clarifies

FunkMan
2017-08-10, 12:46
Hi folks,

actually I thought that there will be some discussion about the new beta release feature - select and apply different filter to your Exakt speaker.

Meanwhile no. 4 was removed (maybe due to the old compiler and firmware this filter relies on).

Anyhow: Who has tested different filter yet and vote for no. 6 ?

Common, don't be shy, hands up please :-)

Somebody has to start with - seems to be me, but that is boring, as everybody knows that I'm in love with no. 3

btw. Linn should have done some "big data analytics" - they for sure know how many people use no. 3, 5 or 6. As this is anonymous it would be interesting to know

Looking forward to seeing some comments.

Best regards

Vinyl loving FunkMan
2017-08-10, 17:18
TBH I was a bit undecided when filters 5 were released, but back then switching back and forth was difficult and you had to apply different Davaar and/or Konfig versions (can't remember exactly) to be able to revert back to a previous Exaktbox FW. So it was not an easy comparison.

Now with the filter selection feature (and I also thank Linn very much for it!!) it's easier to compare and in a short session yesterday I slightly preferred filters 3 over 5. In short, I thought 5 had more detail but 3 had more groove. It was only a short session so my opinion might change. I would have preferred to like 5 better because it's the technically more advanced filter, but there you go. :-)

(6 is not available on my system.)

AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox, 2*A4200/D, C2200/D, Akubariks
Majik DS-I, Katans
2017-08-10, 19:05 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-10 19:45 by Linncredible.)
Have been away from home for a couple of weeks and have not been listning to my system. Have now started it up and also updated the FW. Have tried available filter versions (3 and 5). Must say I prefer 3. Resolution and detail might be better in version 5 but as a whole tune dem wise 5 is worse (needs re-tuning of system incl. re-positioning of speakers to perform as intended?)

ADSM, A Exaktbox 10, A4200*2+A2200, Akubarik, Harmoni rack, LS NAS.
2017-08-23, 21:20
Been away for a couple of weeks again. Upgraded FW, now much prefer version 5 over version 3. Better sound wise and better when it comes to musical performance.

ADSM, A Exaktbox 10, A4200*2+A2200, Akubarik, Harmoni rack, LS NAS.