Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 01:35 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Meta / Forum and Community Feedback v / Proposed Forum Re-Organisation

Proposed Forum Re-Organisation
2017-07-18, 10:15
RE: Proposed Forum Re-Organisation
(2017-07-18 10:10)Jim Collinson Wrote:  
(2017-07-18 10:06)timster Wrote:  Further to my thoughts on Development/Beta, perhaps it would be better/clearer to have a Software forum, with the Beta subforum under it? That way questions regarding Kazoo and firmwares could go there (and things like the MinimServer configuration help), while only specific Beta stuff goes in Beta.

That is an option, however often people think they have a sofware problem, when they don't, or the other way around. Wonder if they might simply be better under the DS forum? Or would that be frustrating do you think?

A Software subforum under Linn DS? Would seem logical. I think not having a forum for software questions other than Beta would be the most frustrating.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-18, 10:18
Or a trouble shooting section with related faqs...
BY
Find all posts by this user
2017-07-18, 10:22
(2017-07-18 10:15)timster Wrote:  
(2017-07-18 10:10)Jim Collinson Wrote:  
(2017-07-18 10:06)timster Wrote:  Further to my thoughts on Development/Beta, perhaps it would be better/clearer to have a Software forum, with the Beta subforum under it? That way questions regarding Kazoo and firmwares could go there (and things like the MinimServer configuration help), while only specific Beta stuff goes in Beta.

That is an option, however often people think they have a sofware problem, when they don't, or the other way around. Wonder if they might simply be better under the DS forum? Or would that be frustrating do you think?

A Software subforum under Linn DS? Would seem logical. I think not having a forum for software questions other than Beta would be the most frustrating.

This - 100%.

There should also be replies/acknowledgements. If issues raised are inappropriate to discuss in open forum then PM. If used wisely this has to be an asset rather than a liability.
2017-07-18, 10:24
(2017-07-18 10:00)Martin H Wrote:  However the development has been narrowed to beta only. What about suggestions or live problems. Seems a bit odd not to give them a home. I think a separate beta sub forum makes sense. Or is this deliberate?

We are trying to ring-fence beta somewhat to people actually involved in the beta program, which isn't most users. This is to avoid questions/problems with stable release software being mix in with beta stuff. And also avoiding regular users installing betas where it's not appropriate.

Do you think a separate forum under music systems for software would be worthwhile
then? What would the scope of it be, control points and music servers? Linn only software, or wider?
2017-07-18, 10:27
(2017-07-18 10:00)Martin H Wrote:  â€¦Not really sure why vinyl music and Digital need to be separated as the threads within Music would do that but have no issue with it.

Interested to hear other users opinion on this, particularly LP12 owners. Is breaking out vinyl recommendations desirable?
2017-07-18, 10:34
(2017-07-18 10:15)timster Wrote:  A Software subforum under Linn DS? Would seem logical. I think not having a forum for software questions other than Beta would be the most frustrating.

Could this simply be asked in the DS forum?

An example: A user has a problem with a DS not showing up in Kazoo. Is this a software problem that should be posted in SW forum, or is it a problem with the DS, or network?

How do we categorise these kind of things?

Jim
2017-07-18, 10:43 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-18 10:45 by Martin H.)
(2017-07-18 10:24)Jim Collinson Wrote:  
(2017-07-18 10:00)Martin H Wrote:  However the development has been narrowed to beta only. What about suggestions or live problems. Seems a bit odd not to give them a home. I think a separate beta sub forum makes sense. Or is this deliberate?

We are trying to ring-fence beta somewhat to people actually involved in the beta program, which isn't most users. This is to avoid questions/problems with stable release software being mix in with beta stuff. And also avoiding regular users installing betas where it's not appropriate.

Do you think a separate forum under music systems for software would be worthwhile
then? What would the scope of it be, control points and music servers? Linn only software, or wider?

Jim, completely agree re separating the beta dialogue. As a user it has been difficult to navigate and I am pretty sure the threads have often been mixed and confusing.

As per your earlier post - it's a balance. You need structure to make it navigable and manageable (from your end) but making that too granular simply makes it tedious to go in and out of each section. It's probably easier to work out the low level and group them later. I would have a beta section and a live section for software. I use another forum that encourages use of a pre-header (chosen from a drop down) at thread creation that could include say: Konfig, Davaar, Kazoo, etc. This works really well on that site as you are forced to choose as you create. A Linn moderator could amend it if incorrect. Somewhere within the framework needs to be a place to post problems where we are unsure of the 'culprit'.

TBH I would need a bit more time to answer your question more comprehensively and suspect someone will beat me to it. But that would be an 'initial tuppence'

(2017-07-18 10:34)Jim Collinson Wrote:  
(2017-07-18 10:15)timster Wrote:  A Software subforum under Linn DS? Would seem logical. I think not having a forum for software questions other than Beta would be the most frustrating.

Could this simply be asked in the DS forum?

An example: A user has a problem with a DS not showing up in Kazoo. Is this a software problem that should be posted in SW forum, or is it a problem with the DS, or network?

How do we categorise these kind of things?

Jim

See my post re the pre-header. That works well and might fit your scenario. I can provide details of a site to see what I mean.
2017-07-18, 10:45 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-18 10:47 by Jim Collinson.)
(2017-07-18 10:43)Martin H Wrote:  Somewhere within the framework needs to be a place to post problems where we are unsure of the 'culprit'.

That is certianly the idea with the Ask a Question forum at the top. But wouldn't preclude a dedicated software forum.

Thanks for the suggestions.
2017-07-18, 11:55
All interesting discussion and agree a refresh of the structure is generally a good idea. A few thoughts:

- I'm not sure on the best way to handle this, but the DS and DSM is not really just a network music player - particularly the DSM as it encompasses pre-amp duties too, in a current Linn system. So the sub-forum title needs to cover this perhaps?
- Events - does it need a "Linn / Linn Dealer" and "Other Hifi Events" breakdown?
- Beta only is a good idea, but as others have mentioned, there needs to be somewhere for issues with current production software to be aired. Keeping the 2 separate makes a lot of sense as they are different sub-communities. As production software is really mainly related to DS, control points and NAS, it would seem to sit in whatever the network/streamer section is called

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-07-19, 07:55
Good idea in general. I'd avoid too many sub-fora. Eg I'm not convinced there are so many Linn and non-Linn events as to warrant a sub forum for each. Think you will need to make clear that 'ask a question' is the place for troubleshooting (if it is!)

LP12 + Akurate stuff.