Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 01:43 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Space Optimisation v / Instructional Videos For Setting Up SPACE Optimization?

Instructional Videos For Setting Up SPACE Optimization?
2017-07-28, 21:44 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-29 07:41 by Paulssurround.)
Instructional Videos For Setting Up SPACE Optimization?
I had breakfast this morning, with some of my friends from high school, that all moved out to Vancouver many years ago.

One of them has produced many movies, videos, music videos and even TV shows.

He has expressed an interest in helping me put together video(s) on how to set up SPACE optimization.

Is there an interest with the Linn Forum community in being able to watch videos on how to set up SPACE optimization?

Do you have any idea on what content you would like to see, it's format, ideas for organizing it, developing it, posting it?

For example, would you want this to be a video on YouTube?

What would be topics of most interest to you, when watching the video?

Would Linn be okay with a set of video links that would be instructional for setting up SPACE Optimization?

Any ideas or feedback on this would be helpful?

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-28, 23:06 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-28 23:17 by Donald.)
RE: Possible Videos On Setting Up SPACE Optimization
I'd ceratainly agree that it's an idea worth pursuing.

Especially when it comes to many of the physical aspects of SO such as room measurements, finding the ideal speaker locations using Tune-dem, moving to practical speaker locations etc.

Practical examples of working with standard and non- standard room shapes.

Using a worked example of how to adjust room modes - gain and bandwidth - could be instructional as the effect of such changes would be visible in Konfig.

When it comes to hearing audible differences in sound quality using SO then we come up against the obvious limitations of using YouTube or similar.

Just some initial thoughts but I'm sure that you will come up with something interesting for the Forum - keep us posted. Big Grin

EDIT: Just had a scary idea of yourself and sunbeamgls doing a double act - a bit like the Chuckle Brothers, much loved by some of us in the UK!

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2017-07-28, 23:11
RE: Possible Videos On Setting Up SPACE Optimization?
(2017-07-28 23:06)Donald Wrote:  I'd ceratainly agree that it's an idea worth pursuing.

Especially when it comes to many of the physical aspects of SO such as room measurements, finding the ideal speaker locations using Tune-dem, moving to practical speaker locations etc.

Practical examples of working with standard and non- standard room shapes.

Using a worked example of how to adjust room modes - gain and bandwidth - could be instructional as the effect of such changes would be visible in Konfig.

When it comes to hearing audible differences in sound quality using SO then we come up against the obvious limitations of using YouTube or similar.

Just some initial thoughts but I'm sure that you will come up with something interesting for the Forum - keep us posted. Big Grin

Thanks Donald.

Lots of great ideas!!!

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-07-28, 23:17
RE: Possible Videos On Setting Up SPACE Optimization?
(2017-07-28 23:11)Paulssurround Wrote:  Thanks Donald.

Lots of great ideas!!!

See my EDIT above!

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2017-07-29, 07:56
RE: Instructional Videos For Setting Up SPACE Optimization?
(2017-07-28 21:44)Paulssurround Wrote:  I had breakfast this morning, with some of my friends from high school, that all moved out to Vancouver many years ago.

One of them has produced many movies, videos, music videos and even TV shows.

He has expressed an interest in helping me put together video(s) on how to set up SPACE optimization.

1. Is there an interest with the Linn Forum community in being able to watch videos on how to set up SPACE optimization?

2. Do you have any idea on what content you would like to see, it's format, ideas for organizing it, developing it, posting it?

For example, would you want this to be a video on YouTube?

3. What would be topics of most interest to you, when watching the video?

Would Linn be okay with a set of video links that would be instructional for setting up SPACE Optimization?

Any ideas or feedback on this would be helpful?

Hi Paul. Hope you don't mind I've added numbers to the questions (makes it easier!) Wink

1. Yes. People have different learning styles. Some are visual (like me), others are more verbal. I think it's safe to say aural is the subject so that's not really relevant!
2. I think if he can embed screen captures of what you actually do on the computer would be useful - like those instructional how-to videos you often see for software.
3. TuneDem for sure. That is what I find most challenging. What do you actually listen for - practical examples that we can hear (and how you interpret them wrt SQ ans how you "fix" it) would be great. And if you can do a virtual version too (as per the Linn guide) for those whose circumstances make it very difficult to move lunking speakers around!

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-29, 12:59
I think it's a great idea. Anything that helps Linnistas to better understand the process of getting the best out of their systems can only be a good thing.

I'm also planning to release something similar in the near future, but I'll be taking a slightly different approach by recording what I hear at 24/96 on a Sennheiser Mk4 Digital microphone. Linnista's will be able to hear a system evolve from one just being placed in a room, through various stages of adjustment, up to a fully tuned system. At all times, an emphasis will be placed on a systems ability to play rhythms and tunes, with no consideration given to the HiFi niceties (imagery, clarity, soundstage, bass depth, air, inky blackness, etc, etc). I'm also planning to record the effect of room treatments, Ethernet cables, equipment supports, mains wiring, and anything else that takes my fancy!

I'd also urge others to produce their own take on system setup. I always feel that the greater the number of perspectives, the more we all learn and understand.

It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing)
2017-07-29, 13:12 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-29 13:13 by DavidHB.)
I too am grateful to Paul for his suggestion.

As I see it, the greatest need out there is for something that helps people get started. The Space Optimisation tab in Konfig is, of necessity, complex. If a video can help the newcomer unpack that complexity and work through the SO process, he or she will then be that much more able to use the Linn and other documentation effectively and go on to fend for him/herself. Its getting people over that first, scary hump that is the big challenge.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-07-29, 15:23
Great idea! Pls bring it on!

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - active Kabers - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime.
2017-07-29, 18:06
wonderful idea paul

Exakt 5.1
Klimax Exakt 350 Katalyst Melco N1Z anniversary Melodik sub Akurate 225 centre Akurate 4200 Akurate Exactbox 6 Akudorik Exakt Oppo UDP-205
2017-07-29, 19:06
Excellent idea. Maybe start with an easy room shape, then tweak a system for a couple of unusual rooms, to give an idea of how to do that.

Mick

LP12SE * KDS/3 * KK/1/D * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109