Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 16:07 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / Sub Exakt / Linn serie 5

Sub Exakt / Linn serie 5
2017-07-30, 21:09
Sub Exakt / Linn serie 5
Of the Series 5 owners have they added an Exakt sub? If so, what did it add musically to the system? Thank you for your feedback.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-30, 21:13 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-30 21:19 by Tin.)
RE: Sub Exakt / Linn serie 5
Every system benefits musically from adding a sub, even Linn Komris, 350s or B&W 800s.
I especially like the idea of 520s with a pair of Exakted BKElec subs, I think it could be a real killer combination.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-07-31, 21:08 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-31 21:10 by DavidHB.)
(2017-07-30 21:09)Gilangelugo Wrote:  Of the Series 5 owners have they added an Exakt sub?

The precise answer to your question is "yes and no".

Linn do not make sub-woofers any more (or at least they are not doing so at the moment), but they do make the Exaktbox Sub, which they describe as an "Exakt Digital Crossover with DAC designed for use with subwoofers". Although specific software filters are available for only a very small number of sub-woofer models, there is a generic setting with which any type of sub can be used. I agree with Tin that the BKElec models would be a good choice in this application.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-08-01, 16:08
(2017-07-30 21:13)Tin Wrote:  Every system benefits musically from adding a sub, even Linn Komris, 350s or B&W 800s.
I especially like the idea of 520s with a pair of Exakted BKElec subs, I think it could be a real killer combination.

Just a little caveat - I think you're referring to a very well integrated sub; there Tin. The opportunity is also there to make a complete hash of it.

Having said that, Exakt should do the job well with very little input from the listener.

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-08-01, 17:37
(2017-08-01 16:08)sunbeamgls Wrote:  
(2017-07-30 21:13)Tin Wrote:  Every system benefits musically from adding a sub, even Linn Komris, 350s or B&W 800s.

Just a little caveat - I think you're referring to a very well integrated sub; there Tin. The opportunity is also there to make a complete hash of it.

Having said that, Exakt should do the job well with very little input from the listener.
They'd only need to adjust the volume control. That should be doable, especially as you'd have the neighbours as a test: notch it up till they come over to complain. Wink

2017-08-01, 20:08
(2017-08-01 17:37)Tin Wrote:  
(2017-08-01 16:08)sunbeamgls Wrote:  

They'd only need to adjust the volume control. That should be doable, especially as you'd have the neighbours as a test: notch it up till they come over to complain. Wink

...and there lies the problem. I've found myself turning the sub down so far that it's barely audible. Too loud and it seems to do more harm than good. The sub has a volume scale from 0-10 and I'm currently on just under 2. I can barely hear the sub if I put my ear right up to it. Certainly isn't going to be worrying the neighbours!
But it's all still new and a bit of a voyage of discovery, so will see how it goes Smile
Part of the problem was the new exaktbox which sends the Ninkas deeper than I ever imagined possible.

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2017-08-01, 20:57
(2017-08-01 20:08)phino Wrote:  Part of the problem was the new exaktbox which sends the Ninkas deeper than I ever imagined possible.

Isn't that rather a good problem to have?

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
2017-08-01, 21:14
(2017-08-01 20:57)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-08-01 20:08)phino Wrote:  Part of the problem was the new exaktbox which sends the Ninkas deeper than I ever imagined possible.

Isn't that rather a good problem to have?

David

It is Big Grin

I don't know what I expected the Exaktbox Sub to do, but I sort of assumed that it negotiated with the rest of the system and used that info to decide at which frequency to start working. Maybe that is what happens, I'm not too sure.
What seems to be happening is that the sub works in whatever range has been predefined in the filter for the specific sub (generic in my case). So as the Ninkas now go so very deep, there is overlap with the sub. Whilst Exakt should ensure both are playing nicely in-phase, the Ninkas make a much better job of it than the sub, which is perhaps a bit... woolly.
As I say though, it's all still a bit new and a bit of an adventure, maybe the sub is still running in. I just wonder if I've got the sub loud enough or not. It certainly isn't shaking the floorboards.

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2017-08-01, 21:55 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-01 22:00 by DavidHB.)
(2017-08-01 21:14)phino Wrote:  I don't know what I expected the Exaktbox Sub to do, but I sort of assumed that it negotiated with the rest of the system and used that info to decide at which frequency to start working. Maybe that is what happens, I'm not too sure.
What seems to be happening is that the sub works in whatever range has been predefined in the filter for the specific sub (generic in my case). So as the Ninkas now go so very deep, there is overlap with the sub. Whilst Exakt should ensure both are playing nicely in-phase, the Ninkas make a much better job of it than the sub, which is perhaps a bit... woolly.
As I say though, it's all still a bit new and a bit of an adventure, maybe the sub is still running in. I just wonder if I've got the sub loud enough or not. It certainly isn't shaking the floorboards.

If the sub has a phase switch, make sure that it is at 0 degrees, not 180 degrees. And that if possible it's connected via an input that bypasses the sub's internal low pass filter (typically a .1/LFE input). If you have to use an input with a crossover frequency control, set this as high you can, so that it interferes as little as possible with the workings of Exakt

The conventional wisdom with subs is that new users tend to set the crossover too high and the gain too low, but Exakt deals with the crossover side of things. The other thing is room positioning; Exakt will handle the positioning relative to the primary speakers, but some subs (I'm thinking of REL models here, which are technically quite similar to your BK) benefit from careful positioning relative to room walls. Interestingly, this isn't mentioned in the BK manual I looked up, but you'll find quite a bit on it on the REL website.

As regards gain levels, this quotation from the manual for the BK Monolith may be of interest:

"As a rule it is not usually necessary to have the subwoofer at high volume levels, but to have it gently supporting the main speakers."

David

2017-08-01, 22:17 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-01 22:17 by Tin.)
While I agree that the volume of a sub should be so low that you can't hear the sub by itself, but do miss it when its gone I do wonder if when Linn extended the Ninkas to lower frequencies they maybe forgot to adjust the filters for the sub, so they're now interfering, which leaves Phino no choice but to lower the subs volume.

Having said that, the volume of my subs are low too.
Phino: when you turn off the sub completely, do you notice that you miss something?