Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-22, 21:42 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Proper Belt Setup on an LP12

Proper Belt Setup on an LP12
2017-07-31, 07:53
Proper Belt Setup on an LP12
This may sound very basic but I just bought a used LP12. The belt looked a bit worn so I replaced it. Is there a correct position for the belt on the pulley? When I turn on the power the new belt moves to the bottom of the inner platter. Should the belt ride on the middle of the inner platter when the power is turned on? Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-07-31, 09:48
RE: Proper Belt Setup on an LP12
Hi Maple. There is an LP12 forum that will be able to answer you. Hopefully the question you ask will get there.... the forums went through a structure change last week, so this particular one is actually new - so hopefully it will.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-07-31, 12:21 (This post was last modified: 2017-07-31 12:24 by moomintroll.)
Hi Maplebrobrian,

as Timster says, the forum was just reorganised last week and the "Ask a question" section is brand new and many, if not most, of the hardcore LP12 guys and gals probably just look at the "LP12" section, so once the moderators move your question, or whatever they plan to do, you should get plenty of answers.

Just to make you aware, you'll find you've opened a small can of worms...

The simple answer is, yes, there is a recommended position for the belt - if you look at one of the older setups guides - this one for instance. you'll see guidance. The key point being - DO NOT TIGHTEN BOTH MOTOR ADJUSTMENT SCREWS TOGETHER. One must be slackened before tightening the opposite one.

However, speed adjustment is best made using a speed disc and strobe, which brings us on to what is, most likely, going to be the favoured response : if the LP12 was neglected enough to require a new belt, your best course of action to get the best out of it, will be to have it serviced by a dealer. If you want a good description of what is involved, then there is an excellent guide as a "sticky" in the LP12 section of the forum.

'troll

BTW - one of the first questions is likely to be, "is it a genuine Linn belt you've fitted?"
2017-07-31, 13:23
You can estimate the rpm of the platter by counting to 100 revolutions. It should take 180 seconds. If it takes more, it's slow. Fewer and its fast.

As noted above, the two motor mount screws work together to adjust speed by controlling the tilt of the motor. This has a surprisingly strong effect on platter speed.

There is a Linn LP12 set up guide fixed at the top of the LP12 forum, and an official guide can also be found on http://www.vinylengine.com.

If the LP12 hasn't been serviced in a few years, you might enjoy reading the guides and learning a bit about service. If you live near a Linn dealer, it would be worth letting the dealer take a look.

Good luck! Most here are fans, including me. Vinyl Engine has a wider range of perspectives.

Just listen .... or not
2017-07-31, 14:15
Great advice given so far. Where the belt rides on the inner platter is not important, where the belt rides on the motor pulley is more important. If you don't have a strobe available, approximately in the middle is a very crude way to set it until you can get it done properly, but don't call that good enough. For proper musical performance this adjustment has to be accurate.

Make sure to handle the platters very carefully, be very gentle putting the outer platter onto the inner platter, being rough while doing so can damage the bearing. Make sure the platter surfaces where they mate together and where the belt rides are very clean. If they feel rough to the pad of your finger, they are not clean and the performance will suffer.

Hopefully you purchased a genuine Linn belt, they are not the least expensive, but they are worth every penny and you will not get accurate speed with a substitute.

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
2017-08-01, 06:32
Thanks for your help. The belt was purchased from a Linn dealer and it appears to be set in the middle of the pulley. I used Peer Gynt's guideline and the platter is rotating at a rate of 100 revolutions in 180 seconds. The previous owner had it checked out by a Linn dealer before the sale and it seems to be in good condition. I had an LP12 about twenty years ago and I'm glad to be spinning vinyl again after all this time. The sounds are wonderful!
2017-08-01, 09:53
Welcome maplebrobrian!

Hopefully you've got help enough to get going with this, but I'll move this thread into the LP12 forum now to see if anyone else has anything to offer.

Jim
2017-10-02, 15:52
(2017-07-31 14:15)bettermusic Wrote:  Make sure to handle the platters very carefully, be very gentle putting the outer platter onto the inner platter, being rough while doing so can damage the bearing. Make sure the platter surfaces where they mate together and where the belt rides are very clean. If they feel rough to the pad of your finger, they are not clean and the performance will suffer.

Hi, what is the best way to clean the mating surfaces of inner and outer platter?
2017-10-02, 17:33
If they feel rough to the touch the first thing to try is a soft cloth that is damp, I use water with a bit of vinegar in it. If it is just loose dirt and recent fingerprints, that should do it. If they are old fingerprints, the soft cloth won't touch it. The next step for me is to use paper, I use drywall tape. Paper is a mild abrasive. If that won't do you will have to be more aggressive but try these steps first.

Some will say not to do this as it can start to remove the protective finish on the platters, maybe, but if the surfaces aren't clean you're not getting the best sound. Once you have the surfaces clean, handle the platters with a cloth so you don't leave any fingerprints. Cleaning in the future will then be easy.

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
2017-10-02, 18:47
Autosol!