Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 01:58 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Proper Belt Setup on an LP12

Proper Belt Setup on an LP12
2017-10-02, 21:36
RE: Proper Belt Setup on an LP12
(2017-10-02 18:47)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  Autosol!

Yes sir! That's my "more aggressive" I have an old chassis and inner platter beside my LP12 bench to help clean platters and right beside that, a tube of autosol.

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-04, 10:44
Mr Sheen?
Find all posts by this user
2017-10-04, 12:11 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-04 12:20 by smokestack.)
Mr Sheen is fine for cleaning up a few paw marks and a bit of grime so long as the platter surface isn't badly tarnished or pitted.
Whatever you use, just be sure to finish with a clean cloth... as you don't want sticky polish deposits or cutting paste residue remaining on the drive surface.
2017-10-04, 12:19
According to my original LP12 owners manual (1990) Linn recommended back then using "Silicone polish" whatever that might be?
2017-10-04, 14:01
(2017-10-04 12:19)dreadatthecontrols Wrote:  According to my original LP12 owners manual (1990) Linn recommended back then using "Silicone polish" whatever that might be?

Don't use silicone, if you get any on the belt, it will not work properly and it's almost impossible to get it off.

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-04, 15:25
(2017-10-04 14:01)bettermusic Wrote:  
(2017-10-04 12:19)dreadatthecontrols Wrote:  According to my original LP12 owners manual (1990) Linn recommended back then using "Silicone polish" whatever that might be?

Don't use silicone, if you get any on the belt, it will not work properly and it's almost impossible to get it off.

APOLOGIES
I just dug out my old LP12 manual and I have been mistaken it doesn't recommend silicone polish. Although I did read it somewhere, sorry
2017-10-05, 07:55 (This post was last modified: 2017-10-05 08:27 by smokestack.)
From distant memory Linn did, back in the day , recommend household spray polish to clean the belt & drive surfaces...but this was I think in order to address the much grinding, gnashing of teeth and juddering of platters that often resulted on start up when the belt wouldn't easily slip down & up the pulley for a smooth "clutch" effect.

[Never a problem anyway if you left the platter turning for the listening session and/or gave it a little shove to help it up to speed on start up Wink]

To be fair, different circumstances will require different approaches to cleaning.

An old , badly tarnished or pitted inner platter may well require the application of a more aggressive cutting polish to restore a nice smooth surface. A new and well looked after inner will require just a buff with a gentle polish and then a clean cloth.

I've always found a cotton bud or cleansing pad moistened with alcohol to be an effective approach for keeping the pulley clean & free of rubber deposits.

The belt is best routinely cleaned by gently drawing it through a slightly damp, lint free cloth.
2017-10-05, 08:39
I can recall speaking to Martin McCue (Linn Export Sales Manager for 28 years, now with Meridian) back in ‘81 and asking him how often they recommended cleaning the belt. His response was initially, “why did I feel a need to clean it?”, but when I replied that I thought it sounded better, he took note. Admittedly, he would only have been with Linn for a year or so, at that time.

‘troll
2017-10-05, 10:49
I have always periodically cleaned the belt by gently drawing it through a piece of kitchen roll moistened with Mr Sheen, then drawing it through a dry piece until there is no black soiling of the paper. My Linn dealer demonstrated this too me donkeys years ago, I still use this method and it works a treat. But DONT use it on the pulley or inner platter, for that use Isopropyl Alcohol or Methylated Spirit.
The "Silicone Polish" I referred to was intended for cleaning the outer platter rim, although I was never sure what "Silicone Polish" is, so never tried it. Again, I clean the rim periodically with a little Mr Sheen and buff with a microfibre cloth.
I know some like to polish platters with metal polish but this does also remove the protective lacquer from the platter. Once done and you have blinged your platter, nice and shiny you will forever be polishing it as it will show every tiny finger mark thereafter.
Its a choice between the bling of a shining platter which will require constant polishing to maintain once the lacquer is lost, or a clean platter with the patina and natural darkening that comes with age
2017-10-06, 08:17
I'm happy with my ageing but still smooth "battle ship grey" platter