Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-17, 18:27 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Audirvana 3.1 Now Playing To UPnP/DLNA Network Players

Audirvana 3.1 Now Playing To UPnP/DLNA Network Players
2017-08-03, 14:50
RE: Audirvana 3.1 Now Playing To UPnP/DLNA Network Players
New update to the Beta release ... it's up and running !

ADSM/1 -> ATC SCM19A's
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-03, 19:08
So - is a UpnP server (i.e. Minimserver) required or does the Audirvana take the place of that?

In a nutshell the essence behind this software - for DS users - is to try and output the best possible high quality file to send to our DS's via UpnP???

Naim 552/500 into Kudos Titans
Cymbiosis Signature LP12/Chris Harban Plinth/Keel/Karmen/Radikal/Urika/Chord Music/Aro/Kandid
KDS/3-Chord Music
2017-08-03, 19:57 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-03 20:01 by Music at Home.)
No UPnP server required, Audirvana directly streams music stored on the mac-mini, so it replaces the need for a UPnP server and a UPnP control point. In the usual Audirvana way, it reads tracks off the storage medium and loads it into RAM then streams it out to the audio device from there, any upsampling or filtering if required is performed during the load to RAM process so it's all fully converted and sat in RAM waiting to be read out in order to minimise processor load and disk access during playback.

There's a suite of tests available from the Audirvana beta forum. i think I'll run through them tonight and submit a test report for the Akurate DSM.

Will also try and have a critical listen tonight and compare with minimserver running on the same mac-mini, ensuring I only have one or the other application running at any one time .

ADSM/1 -> ATC SCM19A's
2017-08-03, 20:11 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-03 20:13 by glevethan.)
I would be interested in hearing how you make out. Unlike many here I do not use a NAS. Instead I have all my files stored on the internal 3TB hard drive of an iMac. I run Minimserver and use Lumin as a control point. I also have a Sonicorbiter and have been using ROON. Actually ROON has been getting all of my use these past few months.

So with Audirvana one loses Minimserver and theoretically the output stream of files is of a higher quality - akin to what some profess to experience with a Melco? The Audirvana iOS app becomes the control point? What about ROON?

Cymbiosis Signature LP12/Chris Harban Plinth/Keel/Karmen/Radikal/Urika/Chord Music/Aro/Kandid
KDS/3-Chord Music
2017-08-03, 21:15 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-03 21:17 by Music at Home.)
(2017-08-03 20:11)glevethan Wrote:  I would be interested in hearing how you make out. Unlike many here I do not use a NAS. Instead I have all my files stored on the internal 3TB hard drive of an iMac. I run Minimserver and use Lumin as a control point. I also have a Sonicorbiter and have been using ROON. Actually ROON has been getting all of my use these past few months.

Apart from ROON, not too dissimilar here. No NAS, instead I use a mac-mini, with the hard-drive replaced with a 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, running minimserver on the mac-mini and using Kazoo elsewhere as the control point.

Between the mac-mini and DSM, I have a Netgear GS105 network switch powered by a Teddy Pardo 12v power supply, Meicord ethernet cables either side of the switch. The power supply and the cables, all of which I'm happy are positive improvements over the stock items.

(2017-08-03 20:11)glevethan Wrote:  So with Audirvana one loses Minimserver and theoretically the output stream of files is of a higher quality - akin to what some profess to experience with a Melco? The Audirvana iOS app becomes the control point? What about ROON?

Yes, yes, and yes, no ROON though. I guess it's ROON or Audirvana, one replaces the other.

One potential downside, from what I've read so far about this new release of Audirvana, it automatically transcodes flac to WAV. Thinking about it, it must do that in order to store the music data in RAM prior to reading it out to the audio device. Last time I compared flac to WAV to WAV24, my preference was in that order, i.e. my 1st preference was flac, I know many prefer WAV. Then again, I'm not overly enamoured with Space Optimisation, despite having a problematic room I prefer living with it's problems. In fact, just turning Space Optimisation on with all filters set to zero has a slightly deletrious effect on the music. So there you have it, make of that what you will, I may just be bonkers, so take any opinion I may post later regarding Audirvana's SQ vs minimserver with a pinch of salt.

ADSM/1 -> ATC SCM19A's
2017-08-03, 21:18 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-03 21:20 by BB1.)
Out of interest I’ve installed Audirvana on my mac Mini. As expected, it doesn’t support gapless playback, which isn’t part of the UPnP standard. That’s a no-go for me. It also seems to insist on transcoding my flacs to wav without providing an option to compare both formats in my setup.

@Music at Home

I've missed your reply regarding the transcoding while typing...

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs
2017-08-03, 21:55 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-03 22:08 by Music at Home.)
Well that didn't take long. Audirvana, crystaline clear sounding but a bit sterile. That's a shame, will be sticking to minimserver on the mac-mini, despite Audirvana's UI knocking Kazoo into a cocked hat.

Would love to compare the music server / network setup I have here with a Melco. Next step before any more upgrades I think.

BB1 - I haven't tried anything gapless but gapless was perfect with USB. Guess it must a UPnP protocol extension thing that Audirvana doesn't support.

ADSM/1 -> ATC SCM19A's
2017-08-04, 04:28
(2017-08-03 21:55)Music at Home Wrote:  will be sticking to minimserver on the mac-mini, despite Audirvana's UI knocking Kazoo into a cocked hat.

Get a Sonicorbiter and give ROON a try. The UI will blow your mind

KDS/3-Chord Music
2017-08-04, 10:21 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-04 11:30 by DavidHB.)
(2017-08-03 21:18)BB1 Wrote:  ... it doesn’t support gapless playback, which isn’t part of the UPnP standard

As I understand it, this isn't quite correct. I recall simoncn (author of MinimServer) explaining on his forum that UPnP AV devices can do gapless playback, but many manufacturers just don't support it.

A major difference between UPnP AV and the OpenHome derivative that Linn use is that in the former the master playlist is held by the control point, while in the latter it is in the renderer/player. The OpenHome arrangement makes it that much easier for the renderer to fetch the beginning of the next track while the current track is still playing, which is what is required for gapless playback.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-08-04, 18:42 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-04 18:42 by BB1.)
Perhaps I should have written: 'gapless playback is not a requirement of the UPnP AV standard'.

I perfectly agree with you that gapless playback with UPnP AV devices is technically possible, but, as you mentioned, most of these devices do not support it.

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs