Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-22, 21:52 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Audirvana 3.1 Now Playing To UPnP/DLNA Network Players

Audirvana 3.1 Now Playing To UPnP/DLNA Network Players
2017-08-04, 20:51
RE: Audirvana 3.1 Now Playing To UPnP/DLNA Network Players
(2017-08-04 18:42)BB1 Wrote:  Perhaps I should have written: 'gapless playback is not a requirement of the UPnP AV standard'.

Yes, that covers the point. Of more significance, perhaps, is that DLNA, which uses the UPnP AV messaging protocols, does not make gapless playback a requirement, either.

(2017-08-04 18:42)BB1 Wrote:  I perfectly agree with you that gapless playback with UPnP AV devices is technically possible, but, as you mentioned, most of these devices do not support it.

I don't spend my life delving into the hi-fi press or researching every new piece of equipment, but my impression is that things are slowly changing in this regard. Newer models, it seems to me, are tending to support gapless playback.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-04, 21:32
Well curiosity also got the better of me and gave it a try. With mixed results.

Unfortunately I found the current state a bit flaky and prone to lock ups that would require me to `Force Quit` the OS X app and/or power cycle my ADSM.

Really simple things like clicking `next` or `previous` track.
On the ADSM remote these buttons do nothing nor does the pause button and can again result in a situation where a power cycle is required.

Certain FLAC files just wouldn't play and it skipped to the next track. Quite often after a long delay and sometimes after yet another power cycle.

As for its true purpose and sound quality, I am not sure. Got so wound up in the unreliability of it that I didn't form any opinion.

At the moment there are too many issues unless things change during the beta period.

Maybe the problems aren't at the Audirvana end as I have never used the uPNP protocol input.

But I will keep an eye on this...
2017-08-04, 22:00
(2017-08-04 20:51)DavidHB Wrote:  I don't spend my life delving into the hi-fi press or researching every new piece of equipment, but my impression is that things are slowly changing in this regard. Newer models, it seems to me, are tending to support gapless playback.

Me neither. All I can tell is that all UPnP devices I came across in the past weren't able to play gapless, hence my expectation bias. When using AirPlay (which also does not store the playlist on the renderer) my AEDSM plays gapless, when using Audirvana it does not.

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs
2017-08-04, 23:14
I used Audirvana (A+) as my main player for years & found it excellent. When first introduced it had advantages over iTunes: it rendered with iZotope in direct Integer mode rather than use Apple’s Core Audio floating point & its minimal user interface was superb: just drop an album folder on it & it played. No metadata required. Worked a treat with my DAC.

However, along came A+ 2 with a library manager, which was fussy about metadata & I never really got on with it. Original A+ ceased to work when I upgraded to MacOS El Capitan. When A+ 3 arrived I hoped for improvements in its library management, but understandably the move was to add Internet streaming features Qobuz & Tidal/MQA coupled with a price hike. My enthusiasm for A+ declined as these are not features I’d ever use. Moreover, changes in MacOS Sierra meant direct Integer mode ceased to work, whereas Core Audio went integer. Rather than buy A+ 3 upgrade I looked elsewhere.

I’m not overly interested in enhanced metadata & see no point in album reviews, I tried Roon. but didn’t really like it. Fortunately, I found I could create a clutter free interface using a view in J River Media Centre (JMRC) & it sounded superb through my USB DAC especially as its DSP features for room correction are more advanced than A+ (although you can create a Dirac Live Audio Unit & plug it in to A+ if you purchase that package). SO JMRC is my player of choice.

When I used A+, I also used MinimServer as UPnP server for my Majik DSM. JMRC has a network music server tool so I can use to serve my MDSM. Whereas my USB DAC happily plays DSD, JMRC transcodes these to PCM for my MDSM. I can't see what difference it makes to sound quality through a DS player as long as there are no drop outs: MinimServer & JMRC both serve my MSDM faultlessly & sound identical in the same way AIFF, ALAC, WAV & FLAC sound identical.

A+ 3.1 can now serve a DS as well as play directly to USB DAC so would be a viable alternative to JMRC, but I doubt I’ll change back as I’m delighted with my setup as it is. Especially as from philhoole's informative post A+ UPnP seems problematic. I've no interest in trying out new things once I have something that works (unless it stops working, of course).

In the context of a Linn system JMRC or A+ 3.1 simply replaces MinimServer. If my main source were a Linn DS then I’d stay with MinimServer. The advantage for me of these other choices is they integrate nicely with my USB DAC as well as serving my MSDM for music upstairs. To me, a big advantage is my main system is not dependent on a computer network or the Internet.

Digital Juke Box & KLP12 into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s
2017-08-04, 23:22
(2017-08-04 22:00)BB1 Wrote:  
(2017-08-04 20:51)DavidHB Wrote:  I don't spend my life delving into the hi-fi press or researching every new piece of equipment, but my impression is that things are slowly changing in this regard. Newer models, it seems to me, are tending to support gapless playback.

Me neither. All I can tell is that all UPnP devices I came across in the past weren't able to play gapless, hence my expectation bias. When using AirPlay (which also does not store the playlist on the renderer) my AEDSM plays gapless, when using Audirvana it does not.

I agree - I've no interest in subjective HiFi reviews or researching new equipment & as for auditioning cables & mains leads .... well I prefer to listen to music.

J River Media Centre UPnP & MinimServer support gapless playback on my MSDM if that's of any interest. That said I don't use playlists so you'd need to see if it worked in that context: I should think it would.

MDSM3 through MG12s
2017-08-04, 23:54
Which source is shown in the display of your MDSM when using JRiver? UPnP AV or Playlist?

2017-08-05, 07:30 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-05 07:38 by Wat.)
"Playlist"

If I cycle through sources I don't see one labelled UPnP AV

MDSM3 through MG12s
2017-08-05, 09:12
(2017-08-05 07:30)Wat Wrote:  "Playlist"

As it shows Playlist, the master playlist is held in the DS as described previously by DavidHB.

(2017-08-05 07:30)Wat Wrote:  If I cycle through sources I don't see one labelled UPnP AV

By default the visibility of 'UPnP AV' is set to 'no', hence you don't see this source when cycling trough them.

When using Audirvana, the display will show UPnP AV as the source, no matter whether it is set to be visible or not.

2017-08-05, 22:07 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-06 15:03 by Wat.)
Thanks BB1

I understand now I'm creating a playlist on my MDSM without thinking too much about it.
Is there any advantage to using UPnP AV over my current use of Playlist?

ATB Wat

MDSM3 through MG12s
2017-08-05, 22:37
(2017-08-05 22:07)Wat Wrote:  Is there any advantage to using UPnP AV over my current use of Playlist?

No. Using UPnP AV would only give you drawbacks like non gapless playback.