Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-11-19, 20:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Where to next?

Where to next?
2017-08-11, 02:19 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-11 02:23 by Andy.)
RE: Where to next?
(2017-08-11 01:45)John Hirsch Wrote:  True, it would be cheaper. But I'm skeptical about matching a subwoofer to speakers - floorstanding or not. I have a really huge Velodyne subwoofer left over from Scientific Stereo - my old shop. I haven't wanted to use it with an excellent floorstander - the original Kef Reference 3.

I did hear an enormous improvement by upgrading my NAD 216 preamp to a Krell KRC 3. My wife immediately noticed the difference when listening to a televised baseball game through my PC.

John Hirsch

Your mileage obviously differs considerably from mine, John. Cool

Last year I added 2x 15" Dayton Ultimax subs (driven by 800w-into-4ohms Hypex plate amps) to my 3-way-active Maggies. This entailed replacing the 3-way analogue active XOs on the Maggies with a 10x10 miniDSP unit which handles the XOs for the 3 drivers in each Maggie and the XO to each sub (24dB LP & HP @ 100Hz). And it provides room EQ for the bass frequencies.

I couldn't be more delighted with the result! Big Grin However, I suggest this is because:
a) the miniDSP unit allows me to delay the Maggies by the right amount - so that they blend in with the subs, and
b) I am rolling off the mains, so there's minimum duplication at sub frequencies.

I cannot tell that the subs are actually on - it just seems that the Maggies now have low-end 'heft' which makes listening to my Bach organ music (and 'Yello') a sheer delight. Big Grin

Andy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-11, 02:41
I've got 4 X Velodyne servo subs operating with my active bi-amped Maggies. X Over to subs is seamless. Takes a bit of effort & a good room.
2017-08-11, 06:31
My route was :
Cirkus sub chassis, Herc and tranq, for me that brought out the bass at a decent price.
Floor standers are always a good idea .

Main system, Lp12 tranquility , trampoline 2 , Cirkus bearing and sub chassis, lingo 3, Black Ittok LV11, Kairn Pro, Linto, LK280/Spark x2, Kudos. Kan11’s, silvers.

Lounge, Sneaky DS,LK 280, Kan’s

Kitchen, Kinekt room amp, sweetspot speakers. Streamed via Tidal.
2017-08-11, 08:28 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-11 08:29 by John Hirsch.)
Well, it's good that Andy and Glyn are delighted with their systems. So am I. My unused Velodyne 1400 subwoofer is so heavy that I can't move it.

It uses substandard spring clip speaker connections that wouldn't work with my K400 cable. It has taken up space in my townhouse for 12 years.

Every time that I visit David at Accent on Music, I bring him a gift of memorabilia hardware from Scientific Stereo. I would donate the Velodyne to him but to repeat, it is so heavy that I can't move it. Any ideas?

John Hirsch
2017-08-11, 14:09 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-11 14:18 by LD100.)
(2017-08-11 08:28)John Hirsch Wrote:  it is so heavy that I can't move it. Any ideas?

[Image: image.php?album_id=45&image_id=3...w=no_count]
Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

or perhaps...
[Image: image.php?album_id=45&image_id=3...w=no_count]

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-08-11, 15:04 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-11 15:05 by Peer Gynt.)
(2017-08-11 01:27)sktn77a Wrote:  Any reason you didn't use the Cirkus subchassis?

I suspect this is because his dealer is not a Linn franchise holder. And he probably doesn't have any cast off Cirkus subchasses in stock to offer as substitutes for the more expensive Majik, Kore or Keel options.

Putting the Cirkus bearing on the non-Cirkus subchassis compromises the effectiveness of the Cirkus bearing's fixing. The old subchassis is about half as thick at the mounting location.

So ... if I were recommending something, I would get on eBay and pick up a Cirkus subchassis and install and tune it. If you can afford it, the Kore would be even better, but I've never seen one on eBay.

Next would be the power supply.

After that, pick your poison. But getting these two source issues sorted would be an important first step.

Just listen .... or not
2017-08-12, 08:31
Thanks for the comments, and apologies if this is the wrong area of the forum.

The subchassis thought from Peer Gynt is right. Having found a nice Ittok on ebay I was getting that fitted and recommended to get the Cirkus upgrade along with the springs and bits and bobs that come with that. I had thought about the Kore but budget-wise it was a bit of a stretch so I decided to stick with the subchassis as it was (on the advice of the dealer, who isn't a Linn franchise-holder but does have about 4 decades of turntable experience. No second-hand Cirkus subchassis on hand ... the nearest Linn dealer to me is in Auckland though, so using someone in Wellington where we are seemed a reasonable plan). I also got a new stylus for the Goldring at the same time as something of an interim measure.

I guess the question is what the best next investment. I was thinking a Kore and Lingo as next steps in the LP12, with possibly a more esoteric cartridge and phone stage after that ... But I am still wondering whether I'd get more benefit at this stage by getting a pair of more substantial and higher end speakers. The LP12 as it is just now is still a pretty decent deck I think.

I also have a fairly new Arcam CDS27 which does sit comfortably alongside the vinyl with high definition digital files in particular. I find we end up listening to the turntable most of the time though.

Still, my partner and I are getting many hours of enjoyment from revisiting records and searching for new records, and I do love the fact vinyl seems to have found a new lease of life and there is so much available just now ... :o)
2017-08-13, 03:16
It is great fun, isn't it.

Still, sorting out the turntable is likely to give the biggest payoff. You don't have to upgrade it to the Klimax level. There is a Cirkus level subchassis on eBay right now being offered for $50 with no bids.

Speakers are seductive. But, as we all know, they can't correct a bogus signal.

Completing the Cirkus upgrade would probably be recommended by 100% of the respected fettlers.

Just listen .... or not
2017-08-16, 19:23
(2017-08-13 03:16)Peer Gynt Wrote:  It is great fun, isn't it.

Still, sorting out the turntable is likely to give the biggest payoff. You don't have to upgrade it to the Klimax level. There is a Cirkus level subchassis on eBay right now being offered for $50 with no bids.

Speakers are seductive. But, as we all know, they can't correct a bogus signal.

Completing the Cirkus upgrade would probably be recommended by 100% of the respected fettlers.

I definitely would recommend completing the Cirkus upgrade, as mentioned. Either with a used Cirkus subchassis or a Kore. I would also highly recommend upgrading the power supply as the Lingo will give you much cleaner and more powerful bass along with improvements throughout the range. Once you get the subchassis sorted with at least a Cirkus unit the motor/power supply will make the biggest musical upgrade. Of course, as kiko65 mentions, the Radikal would be the best upgrade, but it is over twice the price of a Lingo 3 so I'm not sure if it would be within the budget. But if it is possible it gives a stunning amount of additional insight into the music.

LP12SE Movingui • KRadikal • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • KRDS • Lejonklou Sagatun Monos & Tundra Mono 2As • JBL 3677s & 4645C Sub • NOKTable • Harmoni Mimer/Tor Racks
AV: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol • 2 LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • 2 DQ1W

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s since 1978!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user