Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 01:42 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / Loosing control with Exakt...?

Loosing control with Exakt...?
2017-08-09, 20:38
Loosing control with Exakt...?
Hi guys,

having read so much about Exakt, I am now finally considering going that route...

My current system is:
MDSM/3
C4200
Majik Isobarik (Bass-activated)

Budget only allows to enter the Exakt world in Majik level. That means I could trade in the C4200 (+aktv cards + funds) for a Majik-Exaktbox-I.

Many of you state, that the difference between Majik an Akurate Amps is not that important with Exakt.

My Isobariks are capable of some bass. I think, not at least because of the Akurate-activ bass. Will there be less control in bass by the x100 amp in the exaktbox?

And what about the overall-performance? Will that Exaktbox-I be really an "upgrade"?

Has anybody done that comparison?
Experiances are welcome...

Thx, Ralf
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-09, 21:02
RE: Loosing control with Exakt...?
(2017-08-09 20:38)RaZo Wrote:  Hi guys,

having read so much about Exakt, I am now finally considering going that route...

My current system is:
MDSM/3
C4200

Budget only allows to enter the Exakt world in Majik level. That means I could trade in the C4200 (+aktv cards + funds) for a Majik-Exaktbox-I.

Many of you state, that the difference between Majik an Akurate Amps is not that important with Exakt.

My Isobariks are capable of some bass. I think, not at least because of the Akurate-activ bass. Will there be less control in bass by the x100 amp in the exaktbox?

And what about the overall-performance? Will that Exaktbox-I be really an "upgrade"?

Thx, Ralf

I think BB1 on the forum has been through every combination of Exakt setup with his Misos - so he may be able to help.
However, I don't think I'd hesitate if I were you. At the moment, you only have aktiv bass (I assume?), with an Exaktbox-i you'd be fully aktiv but with all the benefits of Exakt as well. Also, you don't say whether or not the C4200 is Dynamik or not - if not that's something else you'd be gaining.
The Exaktbox-i has outputs to allow you to upgrade to external amps, so you could always get a secondhand 2200 for the bass again if you felt the need - but I seriously doubt that you would feel the need.

If possible, get a home demo. I'm not familiar with Misos so I'm not sure if you'd need some work doing on the Misos first to make them fully Aktiv though.

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2017-08-10, 06:49
(2017-08-09 20:38)RaZo Wrote:  Hi guys,

My current system is:
MDSM/3
C4200

Thx, Ralf

All I will say is that, regardless of the amp, the Exakt part of the Majik will be an upgrade. I have not done comparisons because I was updating from Sneaky straight into Exakt after hearing it at a demo. If you have dealer nearby try and arrange a demo between Akurate activ and Majik Exakt.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-10, 07:11
I have a pair of 212's which I use as my surround speakers.

They were driven by a Dynamiked 4200, in a biamp setup, so 2 channels of amplification for each 212 speaker.

I really enjoyed the sound quality, and was slightly concerned that if I went Exakt Surround that the Majik Exaktbox I might not be as good in driving the 212's with the 4200.

Once I hooked up my 212's Exakt with the Majik Exaktbox I, I had nothing to worry about.

The sound quality of the Exakted 212's with the Majik Exaktbox I was a clear improvement over the previous setup. In fact, my Exakted 212's have no problem to keep up with my Exakt Akubariks.

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-08-10, 19:39
Thanks for the answers.
If I understand all that right, it seems to be a nobrainer...
It's very likely I will join the exakt-family Smile

Getting a direct demo between akurate bass-aktiv misos and misos with exaktbox-I would not be that easy, i think.

By the way, is the transfiguration on the MISO-board something that should only be done by a dealer? Or can that be done alone? There are tempting auctions fot uses Exaktboxes...
2017-08-11, 04:44
(2017-08-10 19:39)RaZo Wrote:  It's very likely I will join the Exakt-family Smile

Based on reactions here and from my own experience (I went from passive to Exakt at the Akurate level), you won't regret the decision.

(2017-08-10 19:39)RaZo Wrote:  By the way, is the transfiguration on the MISO-board something that should only be done by a dealer? Or can that be done alone? There are tempting auctions fot uses Exaktboxes...

If the MIsos are made Aktiv in the same way as Linn's other more recent speakers, this is a job you can do yourself, if you can get hold of the instructions, which Linn only let dealers have. Essentially, you take the back panel off the speaker, change a couple of connector positions, put the back panel back on again, and remove the connecting strips from the speaker terminals. It's just a variant of what was done when your MIsos were made bass Aktiv.

That said, I'd advise getting a dealer installation of an Exakt system. It's not rocket science, but you need to go about it in a particular way and new users can make (expensive) mistakes. It also helps (I'd say it is almost essential) to have more than one pair of ears doing the listening when you are fine tuning the speaker positions and re-doing your Space Optimisation. For this reason, I try to buy ex-demo or pre-used from a dealer who can help with the installation, rather than from unknown online vendors.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-08-11, 07:21
If you read the box on new Exaktboxes, you will see it says it must be installed by an authorised Linn installer.
If you don't and it goes bang it may invalidate the warranty.
Whether the same is true for 2nd hand ones I don't know.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-08-11, 18:49 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-13 15:34 by BB1.)
@RaZo

An MDSM together with an MEB gives you the biggest number of options when in comes to amplification, since the MEB allows you to choose between internal and external one.

For instance, you could decide not to sell your C4200 and let it taking care of four channels, but that would be most likely out of your budget. The more interesting option is, that your MDSM can provide 2 channels of amplification in your setup. I’d strongly suggest to try driving the bass from the MDSM, not the MEB. Please see this thread how it can be done.

IMHO the overall SQ of the MEB noticeable benefits from not providing the high power for the bass.

Edit:
Corrected link.

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs
2017-08-12, 10:55
(2017-08-11 18:49)BB1 Wrote:  @RaZo

An MDSM together with an MEB gives you the biggest number of options when in comes to amplification, since the MEB allows you to choose between internal and external one.

For instance, you could decide not to sell your C4200 and let it taking care of four channels, but that would be most likely out of your budget. The more interesting option is, that your MDSM can provide 2 channels of amplification in your setup. I’d strongly suggest to try driving the bass from the MDSM, not the MEB. Please see this thread how it can be done.

IMHO the overall SQ of the MEB noticeable benefits from not providing the high power for the bass.

That sounds interessting. Unfortunatly the link doesn't work...
Actually i thought, deactivating the poweramp in the MDSM will improve the source quality, not right?

Majik DS - Majik 6100 - Majik109
2017-08-12, 11:06
(2017-08-12 10:55)RaZo Wrote:  
(2017-08-11 18:49)BB1 Wrote:  @RaZo

That sounds interessting. Unfortunatly the link doesn't work...
Actually i thought, deactivating the poweramp in the MDSM will improve the source quality, not right?

The link was missing it's colon for some reason.
Here it is

Hello to Jason Isaacs