Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-08-20, 14:38 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / Ask a Question v / Bi Wire

Bi Wire
2017-08-12, 18:57
Bi Wire
Hi,
My first question, I have ordered a Majik DSM and I want to Bi Wire my Linn LK85 amp by using another set of my existing speaker cables which are QED X Tube T400, what is the best way to set up?
Steve
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-12, 19:34 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-12 19:36 by HansBertil.)
RE: Bi Wire
Welcome!

Are you planning to Bi-amp, i.e., using the built-in amp in the DSM as well? What speakers do you have?
/HB
2017-08-13, 08:29
I imagine that the amp in the Majik DSM would be better than the lk85. There is a huge generation gap between those.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-08-13, 09:20
Majik will be a better amp. Not only generation mismatch but mixing class as well may not be a good idea.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-13, 09:43
(2017-08-12 19:34)HansBertil Wrote:  Welcome!

Are you planning to Bi-amp, i.e., using the built-in amp in the DSM as well? What speakers do you have?
/HB

Hi Guys,
Thanks for replys, I have Pro-Ac Studio 140 and I want to bi wire with QED X tube T400 cable which I already have to to the LK85, the dealer suggested it would be better to run the bass from the LK85, having brought the DSM I can't upgrade the amp yet.
Steve
2017-08-13, 10:09 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-13 10:09 by Tin.)
IF the Proacs have a separate crossover for the bass than you could try that.
This implies that the manual of the Proacs describes this in detail on how to do that correctly and warns about caveats.

Otherwise, if the manual just mentions bi-amping as a possibility both the upper and lower speaker terminals will request and forward the full signal to the internal crossovers and you'd get more power but less definition than from either one of the amps seperately.

But either way, you can try 3 combinations:
- MDSM only.
- Use the MDSM as a pre-amp, disable its internal amp in Konfig and use the LK-85 as the amp.
- Use both the MDSM as the LK85 as amps.

I think the top one will sound best, the middle one is the sound you know best, and the bottom option will sound powerful yet harsh and somewhat muddy. This is according to the amps by themselves.

If I take into account that the MDSM, just like your Proacs (according to a review I just read) can sound a bit harsh too, I actually think you might prefer the second option, so just using the MDSM as a pre and the good old lk85 as an amp. If you would upgrade the amp in the future and don't want to change the speakers, I'd suggest going for a more powerful lk, the 2250 or 5125 (either with Dynamik powersuppies) or make a jump into an Akurate amp. I wouln't dismiss Naim amps either btw, they might work well with your Proacs.

But please try all options and see for yourself. It is your ears that need to be pleased. Wink

Tin can telephone system.
2017-08-13, 10:12
(2017-08-13 09:43)SKY1950 Wrote:  
(2017-08-12 19:34)HansBertil Wrote:  Welcome!

/HB

Hi Guys,
Thanks for replys, I have Pro-Ac Studio 140 and I want to bi wire with QED X tube T400 cable which I already have to to the LK85, the dealer suggested it would be better to run the bass from the LK85, having brought the DSM I can't upgrade the amp yet.
Steve

It sounds like what you actually want to do is bi-amp. But I'd leave that for the future, until such time as you can get a 2100 (for eg). You may be better off bi-wiring for now and retire the LK.

I think the Pro-Ac allows either configuration, but as has been said, bi-amping with 2 such different amps (both in terms of generation and class - Majik is C-class, LK is I think AB?) may not be all that desirable.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-15, 15:06
+1 for retiring the LK85, sell it and save for a 2100.

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM1/Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Kudos /C6100-D/Akubarik (active bass).
2017-08-18, 21:45
Hi All, First thanks for the replies, I now have installed the Majik DSM and bi-amped my Pro Ac studio 140 so my LK85 is running the bass frequencies and using the same speaker cable QED Xtube T400 is a fantastic improvement in much better detail and highs from the DSM and controlled bass from the amp, I will upgrade to a C class amp later but for now I'm (Pink Floyd) happy.
Steve