Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-11-19, 20:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Announcements, News and Events / Linn Events v / Linn HQ visit the 16th November

Linn HQ visit the 16th November
2017-11-17, 23:30
RE: Linn HQ visit the 16th November
(2017-11-17 07:14)Tin Wrote:  
(2017-11-16 23:19)Ant_61 Wrote:  Trying to remember what the leonard cohen track was that we listened to.
"You want it darker"?
No it was Hurt by Jonny cash.

KR
The Flatearther
Peter Swain Moonburst Wenge No.57 Klimax LP12 - Linn Kandid - Linn KDS - Naim 52 / 250 amps - Linn Isobariks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-17, 23:38
Where to start on such a fantastic visit.

Firstly, thanks to all who attended. It was great to renew friendships and make new ones.

Secondly, big, big thanks to Linn for hosting us and especially to David Williamson and Cameron for a very entertaining Wednesday evening we didn’t get back to the hotel till long gone midnight.

The trip started with Spanko and Andt61 getting a head start on the aperitifs whilst we were still travelling. The rest of us met up in the hotel for drinks getting to know one another. Before we knew it, it was time for dinner at the restaurant. David had suggested Mother India and it was an excellent choice. Great food and great company. Sadly, we cannot say much more as we were sworn to secrecy. LOL, but not only did we chat about everything audio but we set the worlds to rights as well.
Following a full Scottish breakfast after not a lot of sleep due to too much late-night chatting and too loud snoring we set off to the factory.

Suitably adorned in anti-stat shirts and ankle bracelets we met our guides and were shown the factory. It was quite impressive and especially for their attention and dedication to making sure that every little detail is spot on. There is as much testing going on as there is assembly and building. Everyone was very friendly and open. Of particular intertest for me was the famous factory Linn Jig in which every single LP12 ever made has started its life. It was almost like an audio pilgrimage.

Following the tour, we were shown the Linn home and had a demo of exact 350’s driven by a KDS and KLP12. This is where things started to unravel as our music room guide, Richard, apologised by saying that he had set up the 350’s the day before ready for us only to find them replaced with a pair of 242’s in the morning which he then set up optimally, only to walk in with us to find the 350’s back again and leaving him no time to check them. Sadly, they did not sound like they should and even “Hurt” by Jonny Cash on the LP12 could not bring them to life. It reminded me again of just how important it is to get everything just right if you really want to hear what a top system can do.

As time was pressing we said our farewells and promised to keep in touch. My only regret was that I just did not have enough time to chat to everyone enough. Hopefully I’ll get the opportunity to remedy this at future socials as everyone was a top chap/ess.

However, for me and Shellspeed there was much more to come as we arranged impromptu to give my oldest friend Dave (Dandy) a lift home as we would be driving almost right past his home. This was a wonderful idea as I could spend more time with him catching up and allow Shellspeed more time to get to him better.

When we arrived, we were in for a real treat as Dave’s system is beyond description it was just stunning. No, stop, change that to Mega stunning. It was from a German company called Tidal and not only passed tunedem in spades but brought the artists with almost scary realism right into the room with passion, emotion and PRaT in spades. It ranks as one of only two systems I have ever heard that are in a completely diffent league.

It was really hard to tear ourselves away but time was pressing so we made our fond farewells with promises to return in the Spring. For me it was a bitter sweet farewell from Dave as I could tell from the brotherly hug we exchanged that he was really concerned given my illness whether he might see me again. Fear not I shall soldier on my friend.
Shellspeed and I set off and passed away the remaining hours chatting about how fantastic Dave’s system had sounded.

So that was the trip. I could have easily written another ten pages but that will have to do for now, as I know many of you are waiting for us to report in.

My final thanks and they are massive, go to my good friend Shellspeed for all the driving and especially the wonderful company. Thanks Buddy once again you have been a star.

Steve.

KR
The Flatearther
Peter Swain Moonburst Wenge No.57 Klimax LP12 - Linn Kandid - Linn KDS - Naim 52 / 250 amps - Linn Isobariks.
2017-11-17, 23:41
(2017-11-17 23:30)The Flatearther Wrote:  
(2017-11-16 23:19)Ant_61 Wrote:  Trying to remember what the leonard cohen track was that we listened to.
"You want it darker"?
Damn, I don’t like Jonny Cash , but enjoyed that track.

Main system, Lp12 tranquility , trampoline 2 , Cirkus bearing and sub chassis, lingo 3, Black Ittok LV11, Kairn Pro, Linto, LK280/Spark x2, Kudos. Kan11’s, silvers.

Lounge, Sneaky DS,LK 280, Kan’s

Kitchen, Kinekt room amp, sweetspot speakers. Streamed via Tidal.
2017-11-17, 23:44
(2017-11-17 23:41)Ant_C Wrote:  
(2017-11-17 23:30)The Flatearther Wrote:  
"You want it darker"?
Damn, I don’t like Jonny Cash , but enjoyed that track.
Just proves Ant that an LP12 opens up a whole world of music.

The album is American IV

KR
Flat.

KR
The Flatearther
Yesterday, 05:32
(2017-11-17 23:38)The Flatearther Wrote:  Where to start on such a fantastic visit.

Firstly, thanks to all who attended. It was great to renew friendships and make new ones.

Secondly, big, big thanks to Linn for hosting us and especially to David Williamson and Cameron for a very entertaining Wednesday evening we didn’t get back to the hotel till long gone midnight.

The trip started with Spanko and Andt61 getting a head start on the aperitifs whilst we were still travelling. The rest of us met up in the hotel for drinks getting to know one another. Before we knew it, it was time for dinner at the restaurant. David had suggested Mother India and it was an excellent choice. Great food and great company. Sadly, we cannot say much more as we were sworn to secrecy. LOL, but not only did we chat about everything audio but we set the worlds to rights as well.
Following a full Scottish breakfast after not a lot of sleep due to too much late-night chatting and too loud snoring we set off to the factory.

Suitably adorned in anti-stat shirts and ankle bracelets we met our guides and were shown the factory. It was quite impressive and especially for their attention and dedication to making sure that every little detail is spot on. There is as much testing going on as there is assembly and building. Everyone was very friendly and open. Of particular intertest for me was the famous factory Linn Jig in which every single LP12 ever made has started its life. It was almost like an audio pilgrimage.

Following the tour, we were shown the Linn home and had a demo of exact 350’s driven by a KDS and KLP12. This is where things started to unravel as our music room guide, Richard, apologised by saying that he had set up the 350’s the day before ready for us only to find them replaced with a pair of 242’s in the morning which he then set up optimally, only to walk in with us to find the 350’s back again and leaving him no time to check them. Sadly, they did not sound like they should and even “Hurt” by Jonny Cash on the LP12 could not bring them to life. It reminded me again of just how important it is to get everything just right if you really want to hear what a top system can do.

As time was pressing we said our farewells and promised to keep in touch. My only regret was that I just did not have enough time to chat to everyone enough. Hopefully I’ll get the opportunity to remedy this at future socials as everyone was a top chap/ess.

However, for me and Shellspeed there was much more to come as we arranged impromptu to give my oldest friend Dave (Dandy) a lift home as we would be driving almost right past his home. This was a wonderful idea as I could spend more time with him catching up and allow Shellspeed more time to get to him better.

When we arrived, we were in for a real treat as Dave’s system is beyond description it was just stunning. No, stop, change that to Mega stunning. It was from a German company called Tidal and not only passed tunedem in spades but brought the artists with almost scary realism right into the room with passion, emotion and PRaT in spades. It ranks as one of only two systems I have ever heard that are in a completely diffent league.

It was really hard to tear ourselves away but time was pressing so we made our fond farewells with promises to return in the Spring. For me it was a bitter sweet farewell from Dave as I could tell from the brotherly hug we exchanged that he was really concerned given my illness whether he might see me again. Fear not I shall soldier on my friend.
Shellspeed and I set off and passed away the remaining hours chatting about how fantastic Dave’s system had sounded.

So that was the trip. I could have easily written another ten pages but that will have to do for now, as I know many of you are waiting for us to report in.

My final thanks and they are massive, go to my good friend Shellspeed for all the driving and especially the wonderful company. Thanks Buddy once again you have been a star.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Great to read about your adventures, and to hear you are still soldiering on.

It is a year since I last saw you, Shellspeed and Stuart, and you taught me about PRaT, with your awesome demo.

I remember the wonderful visit with you and the early morning drive to the airport on my way to Spain. Big Grin

Your own stereo system at home rocks royally.

Take care
Paul

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
Yesterday, 11:50
(Yesterday 05:32)Paulssurround Wrote:  
(2017-11-17 23:38)The Flatearther Wrote:  Where to start on such a fantastic visit.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Great to read about your adventures, and to hear you are still soldiering on.

It is a year since I last saw you, Shellspeed and Stuart, and you taught me about PRaT, with your awesome demo.

I remember the wonderful visit with you and the early morning drive to the airport on my way to Spain. Big Grin

Your own stereo system at home rocks royally.

Take care
Paul
Thanks Paul.
You're always welcome to stop over anytime.
Warmest regards
Steve

KR
The Flatearther
Yesterday, 13:20
(2017-11-17 22:14)Tin Wrote:  I can't really buy the 'it is a factory after all' nor the 'external walls' argument.

My living room has 3 external walls, 2 of them are almost completely glass and I can't imagine Linn having a half open kitchen in the same SPACE.
Most importantly though, it is a living room, not a designated listening room.

Besides, Linn employs very fine acoustic engineers, so if anything, the listening rooms in the factory should sound -perfect- as they're just that, listening rooms in a factory.

I haven't been to Glasgow, so maybe I'm missing some vital information, but my first response, based on the facts presented to me is going to be this.

I have to agree with you 100% on this Tin. If they can't get it right in their own factory dem room, I don't care about attention to detail elsewhere. After all, just listen.

As for the reasoning that speakers had been swapped in and out of the room, surely it's not difficult to mark each speaker's positioning and store their Sound Optimisation settings. Or is everything so inconsistent that everything has to be reset from scratch every time?

Not a good advert for Linn. No doubt a plethora of excuses will now follow from the usual contributors Smile

Main: KDS3 / Lejonklou Sagatun Mono Tarandus / Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus / 242 Mk II with upgraded stands
LG OLED 55E6V /Oppo 205 as processor / Lejonklou Tundra Stereo / Katan rears / Velodyne DD12 sub
2nd system: Oppo105 / Lejonklou Boazu / 109s
Yesterday, 15:40
For me there can't really be any 'acceptable' reason/s for a poor sound coming from a demo of Linn's top flight system at their own gaff. After all, very few of us will have perfect listening rooms or spaces.

It's like saying to a potential customer "have a listen to this but don't worry about how it sounds, take my word for it, it will be fine in you place" .... Sad

This report of how the Klimax system performs at HQ is just another in quite a long line of reports basically saying the same thing.

It's truly baffling to me and that's from someone who you can tell from my signature, quite likes Linn gear .......... Rolleyes

Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Tranquility, Karmen, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Linn Krystal

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's on Track Audio Stands