Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-17, 03:11 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / LP12 Majik/Radikal vs LP12 akurate

LP12 Majik/Radikal vs LP12 akurate
2017-08-17, 01:08 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-17 01:50 by John Hirsch.)
RE: LP12 Majik/Radikal vs LP12 akurate
I think that the proposal to put a 31GBP cartridge on a 7000 plus turntable takes the hierarchy principle far too far.

I would suggest at least an Ortofon Red, Blue, Bronze or Black. I believe that the Red can be upgraded to a Blue and the Bronze can be upgraded to a Black by simply changing the stylus.

John Hirsch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-17, 01:25
Well I can still remember hearing my old Basik cartridge ( which cost around £10 ) in my new Ittok arm sounding pretty much like a £200 Asak MC, I kid you not. The hierarchy does go that far.

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station
TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2017-08-17, 08:10 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-17 08:12 by wickie8166.)
Hi Dazza,

my LP12 is based on a Majik with a couple of add-ons.

First: Radikal - Following Linn Philosophy it is very important as the Motor should have the least impact as possible and should give a very stable Speed. For a future upgrade to Urika (build-in Phono-Pre-Amp) Radikal is mandatory.

Trampolin 2: Better damping/isolation from external vibrations

EKOS II: A second hand tonearm, which, as some say should be better than the Akito

Krystal: The Cartridge that actually comes along with the LP12 Akurate

So what is missing?
The Majik has still the steel sub-chassis, which is neither as "rock-solid" as Keel nor Kore. I know this is a missing Link in my LP12-Chain but I wait for funds to migrate directly to Keel and skip the Kore (after katalysing my Akurates).

What did I spent? About € 8.700,- round about 8.000 GBP.

Result: phantastic player, extraordinary calm and wonderful timing.

Lessons learned: Good Dealers take the Majik/Akurate LP12 as a starting point to assemble the best solution for your budget.

Hope it helps and all the best for your personal LP12 adventure

BR
Frank

LINN: LP12, EKOS 2, Krystal, Radikal, AEDSM, Akubarik Exakt, Karik III
POWER: MFE Power Conditioner NF-3, Goldkabel executive SuperCord Gold
NAS: Synology RS814 (8TB), Minimserver
SAT: VU+ Solo2 Twinreceiver HD
2017-08-17, 08:52
(2017-08-17 01:08)John Hirsch Wrote:  I think that the proposal to put a 31GBP cartridge on a 7000 plus turntable takes the hierarchy principle far too far.

I would suggest at least an Ortofon Red, Blue, Bronze or Black. I believe that the Red can be upgraded to a Blue and the Bronze can be upgraded to a Black by simply changing the stylus.

John Hirsch

Have you heard an AT95E? It will outperform some cartridges costing considerably more.

Obviously there are better cartridges; but they all cost more. And that would make an already over-budget solution more so.

If the OP can run to an extra £50 for the Ortofon Red (£150 for the blue, and £425 for the Black) then that may be a better solution (other carts are available), but if he can't, what else should give; the tonearm?

An AT-95E in an Akito 3, will give you more immersive experience than an Ortofon Red (or any other cart, regardless of cost) in an Project 9cc.

That is why hierarchy is important. If money is no object (and few can say that), then hierarchy doesn't really matter - you just buy the best.

KR

J
2017-08-17, 11:48
(2017-08-16 22:38)ThomasOK Wrote:  Please note that there are eight posts on this thread (before this one). One is from the OP, two are from you and three give direct opinions on the original question. I would say overall that is about as on track as you are likely to get.

I would concur that there are some excellent responses that will cetarinly help me in any future upgrade choices - thanks. Big Grin

Pleased to hear that this has also been of assistance to the OP who now has s future visit to Cymbiosis lined up - would be good to get some feedback from Dazza when the time comes! Smile

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2017-08-17, 11:59
Musically, the AT95 still outperforms most cartridges .

Yes , there are plenty of better cartridges [all much more expensive] but there are a damn site more inferior ones...regardless of price.
2017-08-17, 12:10
Yep! there are a few cartridges out there that punch way above their weight (& cost). I always believe that it is because they do what they do without any flaws that call attention to themselves. If you compare them directly with some of the great lunatic fringe cartridges sure there is quite a difference but when not in the harsh light of a direct comparison they remain pleasantly musical.

No doubt there are diminishing returns for ones hard earned money as you climb the ladder.
2017-08-17, 12:39
The principal of diminishing returns could have been invented for cartridges...

Of course, the thing that really exacerbates the effect is that your £4,000 cartridge might still only last a couple of years if used heavily.
2017-08-17, 12:57
(2017-08-17 12:39)smokestack Wrote:  The principal of diminishing returns could have been invented for cartridges...

Of course, the thing that really exacerbates the effect is that your £4,000 cartridge might still only last a couple of years if used heavily.

LOL Smile +1^. I gather rewards on one of my bank cards that I never cash in so they are not part of the budget. Keep this cash as my pain free extravagance stash for Cartridges & the like.
2017-08-17, 13:02
(2017-08-17 12:57)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  
(2017-08-17 12:39)smokestack Wrote:  The principal of diminishing returns could have been invented for cartridges...

LOL Smile +1^. I gather rewards on one of my bank cards that I never cash in so they are not part of the budget. Keep this cash as my pain free extravagance stash for Cartridges & the like.

Like your style.

I just keep flinging tenners into my Kandid Klub bottle in the hope that when the time comes it's not too painful!

Klimax LP12 (Cirkus, Tranquility, Radikal D, Keel, Urika, Khan top plate, Ekos SE, Kandid). Klimax Renew DS. KK D, Solos D. 242 mk 2 with upgraded stands. Project RCM