Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 18:08 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / LP12 Majik/Radikal vs LP12 akurate

LP12 Majik/Radikal vs LP12 akurate
2017-08-22, 19:25
RE: LP12 Majik/Radikal vs LP12 akurate
Hi Dazza, I too expect the Majik/Radikal deck will perform best, but why not ask Peter for a comparison against an Akurate deck anyway. I'm sure he can facilitate and its part of the fun of buying new equipment. An unpressured dem is something to make the most of it. I'm sure you will learn from it too. Theory is one thing but why not listen for yourself. Milk it Daz! You're spending a lot of hard earned money and I'm sure Peter will want you to buy what you 'know' is right for you, instead of what you 'think' is right for you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-22, 23:46
(2017-08-21 18:47)Cymbiosis Wrote:  Happy to help when I can, no matter where you are. It's often just an email with some suggestions but .......... If you end up with a better sound - Great!

KR

Pete

(2017-08-18 19:11)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  The AT95e is a High Output MM cartridge

For about GBP40.00 in the UK it is fantastic value and expect to pay at least double to improve upon it IMHO.

Just goes to show how little I know about the lower cost MM cartridges.

Just listen .... or not
2017-08-23, 21:05
(2017-08-22 19:25)charlie1 Wrote:  Hi Dazza, I too expect the Majik/Radikal deck will perform best, but why not ask Peter for a comparison against an Akurate deck anyway. I'm sure he can facilitate and its part of the fun of buying new equipment. An unpressured dem is something to make the most of it. I'm sure you will learn from it too. Theory is one thing but why not listen for yourself. Milk it Daz! You're spending a lot of hard earned money and I'm sure Peter will want you to buy what you 'know' is right for you, instead of what you 'think' is right for you.

I so agree with what your saying, the final judge for any hifi purchase has to be your ears. This is very clear when you look at the different variety of members signature, what's right for me may not be right for everyone.

That said there are common threads which seem to work for most people, that being a cirkus LP12 with the best power supply you can afford, if that happens to be a vahalla great. I am sure when the time comes Peter can put an LP12 together which I will be happy with, on budget.
2017-08-24, 03:10
(2017-08-23 21:05)Dazza Wrote:  
(2017-08-22 19:25)charlie1 Wrote:  Hi Dazza, I too expect the Majik/Radikal deck will perform best, but why not ask Peter for a comparison against an Akurate deck anyway. I'm sure he can facilitate and its part of the fun of buying new equipment. An unpressured dem is something to make the most of it. I'm sure you will learn from it too. Theory is one thing but why not listen for yourself. Milk it Daz! You're spending a lot of hard earned money and I'm sure Peter will want you to buy what you 'know' is right for you, instead of what you 'think' is right for you.

I so agree with what your saying, the final judge for any hifi purchase has to be your ears. This is very clear when you look at the different variety of members signature, what's right for me may not be right for everyone.

That said there are common threads which seem to work for most people, that being a cirkus LP12 with the best power supply you can afford, if that happens to be a vahalla great. I am sure when the time comes Peter can put an LP12 together which I will be happy with, on budget.

Amen,
I went from pre-Cirkus/Valhalla to Cirkus/Lingo2 and the overall improvement was breathtaking (on a budget like you). Of course, expertly put together and serviced by my local dealer guru, the one and only David Mingace. I am extremely grateful and happy!

86LP12, 2015 Cirkus, Lingo2, 2015 Aluminum Sub-chassis/5-layer laminate arm-board/Ittok LVII/2017 Soundsmith rebuilt Troika/T-Kable/Tramp2/Linto/AV5103Processor/AV5125 Power Amp x 2/Ninka x 2/Trikan/Komponent 104 x 2/Sizmik10.25/Silvers/Blacks/K400s/K20s
2017-09-02, 00:12
If you are on a budget, why not buy the Majik LP12 without the Radikal, enjoy it, as it will be very enjoyable. When funds allow, add the Radikal. I think it best to improve the LP12 gradually over time. This will educate you on turntable hierarchy, etc.

LP 12 (S/N 14xxx), Black ash plinth, Cirkus, Trampolin 1, Radikal, Kore, Ittok LVIII Mark 2, T-Kable, Krystal, Audiotech stand, Linto, Kairn Pro, AV5105 x2, Aktiv Tukans, Kan stands, Rega DAC, Oppo 103D, Quad FM4
2017-09-04, 13:08
(2017-09-02 00:12)akamatsu Wrote:  If you are on a budget, why not buy the Majik LP12 without the Radikal, enjoy it, as it will be very enjoyable. When funds allow, add the Radikal. I think it best to improve the LP12 gradually over time. This will educate you on turntable hierarchy, etc.

Sometimes I think maybe I should just aim lower and enjoy the journey, who knows I may have to if my budget shrinks due to an unexpected expense. I take early retirement in the not to distant future and will have the funds to achieve close to my 'Linn end goal', fairly quickly.

I feel like I have missed out on my vinyl pleasure for the last 20 years as stated in my OP, having to make do with popular devices in docking speaker arrangements. These are fine and have their place but vinyl is where my heart is and I don't want to waste anymore time upgrading over 5-10 years or longer, who knows.

I suppose until I have a demo I don't really know which way I will go, hell I may love a Majik LP12 so much and forget about upgrading all together. In the meantime as I write I'm listening to Amy Winehouse, Black to Black album on my new Rega system, which sounds damn fine and a worthy substitute.
2017-09-04, 13:22
(2017-09-04 13:08)Dazza Wrote:  which sounds damn fine

It's all about the music! Smile

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-09-04, 17:41
Same dilemma some years ago for me; finally I opted for an Akurate LP12 with Adikt, following the advise of an Italian Linn dealer.
Then, after a couple of years, I traded the Lingo for A Radikal: IMHO, this upgrade doesn't worth his cost (€ 3,000).
Another disappointment was the XLR (black) T-Kable and, also, the RCA (black) T-Kable compared to the previous silver one.
Regards
M.

LP12 / Kore / Trampolin 2 / Akito 2b / Radikal / Adikt / T-Kable
Cambridge CXN - Silver
AK/1 - Silver - A2200/1
K200/Knekt / M109
2017-09-05, 10:53
(2017-09-04 17:41)Matteo Wrote:  Same dilemma some years ago for me; finally I opted for an Akurate LP12 with Adikt, following the advise of an Italian Linn dealer.
Then, after a couple of years, I traded the Lingo for A Radikal: IMHO, this upgrade doesn't worth his cost (€ 3,000).
Another disappointment was the XLR (black) T-Kable and, also, the RCA (black) T-Kable compared to the previous silver one.
Regards
M.

Nice to get some balance from the baiting.
2017-09-05, 13:24 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-05 13:25 by Stu22.)
(2017-09-05 10:53)richards13 Wrote:  
(2017-09-04 17:41)Matteo Wrote:  Same dilemma some years ago for me; finally I opted for an Akurate LP12 with Adikt, following the advise of an Italian Linn dealer.
Regards
M.

Nice to get some balance from the baiting.

Indeed.

We all hear things differently. Not sure anything comes close to a properly set up Sondek (Majik, Akuarte or Klimax) v the competition in each class.

Stu.

Akurate Sondek LP12 - Akurate EDSM - Akudorik Exakt