Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 09:18 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / LP12 Majik/Radikal vs LP12 akurate

LP12 Majik/Radikal vs LP12 akurate
2017-09-08, 15:10
RE: LP12 Majik/Radikal vs LP12 akurate
(2017-09-07 19:49)charlie1 Wrote:  
(2017-09-07 16:48)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  As you climb the ladder in high end audio so you receive diminishing returns for your hard earned cash & differences are subtle.

I agree that the overall trend is towards diminishing returns as you go up the HiFi ladder, but there is still the occasional step change. For me, the Radikal provided an unusually large step forward.

And for me too.

Mick

LP12SE * KDS/3 * KK/1/D * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-09, 19:05 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-09 19:06 by Dr_Eddie.)
The Radikal provides a lot of musical improvement in replay that rewards extended listening. It does not immediately come across as a wow upgrade straight away. But then, as you slowly become aware each and every record reveals a new wealth of detail whilst timing and pitch stability are improved beyond measure, dynamic range is enhanced as the noise floor drops away and musical strands become so much easier to follow.
If you just listen for a hi fi bang for your bucks you won't really hear the whole point, but if you are a music lover you will get it straight away.
This is all about music, not hifi.

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station
TP Tranquillity Rocks

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2017-09-09, 21:00
(2017-09-09 19:05)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  The Radikal provides a lot of musical improvement in replay that rewards extended listening. It does not immediately come across as a wow upgrade straight away. But then, as you slowly become aware each and every record reveals a new wealth of detail whilst timing and pitch stability are improved beyond measure, dynamic range is enhanced as the noise floor drops away and musical strands become so much easier to follow.
If you just listen for a hi fi bang for your bucks you won't really hear the whole point, but if you are a music lover you will get it straight away.

You hit it right on the spot Dr. Eddie,
And it becomes even more noticeable moving up the Linn range. A Radikalized LP 12 heard through an all Klimax system (or even Akurate level) will provide you with more immediacy revealing loads of details never heard before. I wonder if I would be able to notice such improvement with my current old Linn system.........

I guess it will make a lot of sense to go Radikal with a top end system, I'm extremely satisfied with my late Lingo2 with what I have.........

86LP12, 2015 Cirkus, Lingo2, 2015 Aluminum Sub-chassis/5-layer laminate arm-board/Ittok LVII/2017 Soundsmith rebuilt Troika/T-Kable/Tramp2/Linto/AV5103Processor/AV5125 Power Amp x 2/Ninka x 2/Trikan/Komponent 104 x 2/Sizmik10.25/Silvers/Blacks/K400s/K20s
2017-09-10, 11:19
(2017-09-09 21:00)kiko65 Wrote:  I wonder if I would be able to notice such improvement with my current old Linn system.........

I guess it will make a lot of sense to go Radikal with a top end system, I'm extremely satisfied with my late Lingo2 with what I have.........

I am sure you would notice a considerable improvement. Your LP12 is similar in configuration to mine when I got my Radikal. I had a demo comparing Lingo 3 with Radikal and I had no hesitation in deciding that the Radikal was worth the upgrade. That was 2 years ago. Now I would be happy to stay at this level as it gives so much musical enjoyment.

Of course I am curious to find out what a Kore, or Keel even, would bring to the party. But for me there is no rush.

Regards,

Neil

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Ittok LVII/Adikt + 72/HiCap/250 + NAC A5 + SBLs + Moth RCM
2017-09-26, 05:30
Yes, I should have added; lived with basic Majik spec 2 years before adding Radikal and it was still fabulous.
2017-09-26, 16:32
(2017-09-09 19:05)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  The Radikal provides a lot of musical improvement in replay that rewards extended listening. It does not immediately come across as a wow upgrade straight away. But then, as you slowly become aware each and every record reveals a new wealth of detail whilst timing and pitch stability are improved beyond measure, dynamic range is enhanced as the noise floor drops away and musical strands become so much easier to follow.

I found the difference between the Lingo and the Radikal to be immediately obvious and significant; perhaps it depends to some extent on repertoire but on the demo records I used many years ago (Lieder, orchestral and small group jazz) it was night and day. I was even surprised more recently at the very noticeable difference between the standard Radikal and the Klimax version, though I think the upgrade cost is quite hard to justify.

I'm not saying this to be mischievous - but for me - if the difference is not obvious on demo I would get the TT set-up double-checked.

LP12/Keel/Dynamik Radikal/Ekos SE/Urika/Kandid/NAC52/Supercap/NAP135's/Kudos S20's
2017-09-28, 08:08
(2017-08-21 18:47)Cymbiosis Wrote:  For about GBP40.00 in the UK it is fantastic value and expect to pay at least double to improve upon it IMHO.

The AT95e is frequently available for under £30.

Fitted with an Expert Stylus Co. Paratrace stylus for £140 or so, it roundly beats many MC cartridges and becomes immeasurably more refined. I'd take one over most MM cartridges under £400. You can get the cartridge with stylus already fitted for £150-ish which is bargain of the century. Don't forget that the old Linn K-series and the Basik Cartridge were all AT95 based. The Paratrace stylus fits all those old bodies too. Looks a bit odd though.

Loricraft Garrard 401/Collinson/12"Bokrand-Ortofon/EMT TSD15 VdH. LP!2 Wakonda/Black Ittok/K18, LP12/Grace G707/Supex900 Super. 1973 LP12/SME3009/Shure V15/II. Castle Ariston RD11/SME3009/Ortofon MC10.
2017-09-28, 09:35
(2017-09-28 08:08)Hamstall Wrote:  
(2017-08-21 18:47)Cymbiosis Wrote:  For about GBP40.00 in the UK it is fantastic value and expect to pay at least double to improve upon it IMHO.
The AT95e is frequently available for under £30.

Yes quite possible. AT have seemed to vary it's price over the last few years. Currently the suggested price is GBP32.99

Fettling LP12s since 1980
Tel 0333 200 4475
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
Facebook - www.facebook.com/Cymbiosisaudio/
www.cymbiosis.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user