Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 09:25 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / What to Buy / Majik dsm + majik 4100 vs. Kairn + 2x aktiv majik 4100

Majik dsm + majik 4100 vs. Kairn + 2x aktiv majik 4100
2017-08-16, 18:21
Majik dsm + majik 4100 vs. Kairn + 2x aktiv majik 4100
Hi,

Have an opportunity to upgrade my linn system. For my budget. It looks like I could keep my kairn and get 2 majik 4100s. If I put a bit extra in I could get a majik dsm and a majik 4100 instead. Which would sound better? Which would you choose? The extra functionality and potential upgrade options with the majik dsm are bonuses, but vinyl sound quality is priority.

Is it possible to go aktiv with mdsm and majik 4100?

At a stretch I might manage an akurate exact dsm and exakt box I. Would this be a better option??

Thanks!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-16, 18:58
RE: Majik dsm + majik 4100 vs. Kairn + 2x aktiv majik 4100
(2017-08-16 18:21)Yaksin Wrote:  Hi,

Have an opportunity to upgrade my linn system. For my budget. It looks like I could keep my kairn and get 2 majik 4100s. If I put a bit extra in I could get a majik dsm and a majik 4100 instead. Which would sound better? Which would you choose? The extra functionality and potential upgrade options with the majik dsm are bonuses, but vinyl sound quality is priority.

Is it possible to go aktiv with mdsm and majik 4100?

At a stretch I might manage an akurate exact dsm and exakt box I. Would this be a better option??

Thanks!!
In order to give great advice we need a bit more info.

What speakers do you have?
What are you currently using as a digital source?
What is your turntable?

If you are using a cd player, then there's a twofold reason to get the DSM, one is to start streaming which sounds far better than cd's. This will bring your enjoyment of digital music far closer to the enjoyment you get from your turntable. The second is that the preamp section of the DSM is much better sounding than the Kairn.

If you have Linn speakers, my suggestion would be to save a bit more and get the AEDSM and the Majik Exaktbox. A Majik DSM and a 4100 is 80% of the price of the Exakt combination and the Exakt is miles ahead of a MDSM/4100. And it's already aktiv!

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-16, 19:16 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-16 19:19 by DavidHB.)
(2017-08-16 18:21)Yaksin Wrote:  Have an opportunity to upgrade my linn system. For my budget. It looks like I could keep my kairn and get 2 majik 4100s. If I put a bit extra in I could get a majik dsm and a majik 4100 instead. Which would sound better? Which would you choose? The extra functionality and potential upgrade options with the majik dsm are bonuses, but vinyl sound quality is priority.

The DSM/4100 option wins hands down for me. It's a long time since I heard a Kairn, but I very much doubt that you would find it superior to the DSM in any department, and it offers so much more than the Kairn in terms of facilities and capabilities. In particular, you would get Space Optimisation (for your LP12 as well, and, who knows, you might find your listening pattern changes when you have streaming solutions at your fingertips (at the very least, streaming is a great way to listen to radio).

The only downside to the DSM that I can think of is that you have to get it network connected, and with a wired connection at that. If this is a challenge, bring any problems here; by now, there's a fair amount of experience hereabouts in sorting out network issues.

(2017-08-16 18:21)Yaksin Wrote:  Is it possible to go aktiv with mdsm and majik 4100?

Yes, for up to six channels. What speakers do you have? Others more expert than I will advise, but I think that you would need the Chakra crossover cards to fit into the amplifiers.

(2017-08-16 18:21)Yaksin Wrote:  At a stretch I might manage an akurate exact dsm and exakt box I. Would this be a better option??

Yes, without a doubt, in my book (see my signature). And you are good for up to eight channels, which covers everything except the five channel speakers.

You now know what I think. Please, please don't take it as gospel. Even if it costs you time and money, go to a dealer, listen to at least some of the options, and make up your own mind as to what's best for you.

David

P.S. I've just seen bettermusic's post. You will note that we agree in all important respects Smile.

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-08-16, 20:36
Thanks for all the advice!

I am using a technics 1210 with DJS cartridge. I only wish I had an lp12!!
I have quite a lot of sonos equipment for streaming
I would be streaming a lot from 2013 MacBook Pro
I'm getting majik 140 speakers.

I currently listen to the linn equipment in the music room, but with the Adsm exakt and exakt box combo I would look to move this into the lounge. I believe this could eventually be used for surround sound set up (even with additional analogue speakers)?? If this is so then I could raise funds by flogging the sonos stuff and kairn!
2017-08-16, 21:06
If you have an AV surround processor/receiver that can introduce 45ms of delay to the centre, surround speakers and sub you can have all of them analogue.
If it can't you need to have the centre and sub to be Exakted too.

At the moment there aren't many centre speakers that can be Exakted, and as that option is precious anyway I'd suggest you be careful when looking for a surround device.
My current surround setup is very incompatible with Exakt so I'm forced to stick to analogue for a while longer.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-08-16, 21:37 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-16 21:43 by DavidHB.)
(2017-08-16 20:36)Yaksin Wrote:  I'm getting majik 140 speakers.

Then you need eight Aktiv or Exakt channels, and therefore a 6100 rather than a 4100 for the Aktiv configuration. This makes the Exaktbox even more of a no-brainer, from my perspective. But, as I said, do listen for yourself.

The downside, as per Tin's advice, is that there would be issues in adding surround sound. There, my advice would be that an excellent, well configured stereo system will give you much more pleasure than a compromised or problematic surround sound system. You are already planning a pretty big step, and, if you want to stay sane, you do need to keep things manageable.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
2017-08-17, 00:06
Some really great advice - thanks!

I'm thinking the mdsm/majik 6100 aktiv combo might be the one for me. Would love the adsm exaktbox setup but I'm struggling on price to be honest. Will go and have a listen first though!!
2017-08-17, 06:31
Ik you buy new, the Exaktbox-I is worth the premium, if you buy second hand, not so much. Its all relative.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-08-17, 07:13
(2017-08-17 06:31)Tin Wrote:  Ik you buy new, the Exaktbox-I is worth the premium, if you buy second hand, not so much. Its all relative.

I agree with Tin. The performance of an Akurate streamer (the Exakt DSM) will outstrip the Majik, as will the phono stage/ADC which for your vinyl should be a significant factor, and the Exakt part of the Majik Exaktbox will outstrip the MDSM+6100 activ combo. New prices, the premium is around 700 gbp, well worth it.

The only caveat when it comes to a Surround system is that, as the Akurate EDSM has no analogue outputs, you could only use it to drive the fronts. It's not a big deal if you aren't concerned with an Exakt Surround system, which I doubt anyway as it would cost a small fortune!

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-17, 09:19
(2017-08-17 07:13)timster Wrote:  
(2017-08-17 06:31)Tin Wrote:  Ik you buy new, the Exaktbox-I is worth the premium, if you buy second hand, not so much. Its all relative.
I agree with Tin. The performance of an Akurate streamer (the Exakt DSM) will outstrip the Majik, as will the phono stage/ADC which for your vinyl should be a significant factor, and the Exakt part of the Majik Exaktbox will outstrip the MDSM+6100 activ combo. New prices, the premium is around 700 gbp, well worth it.

I agree with all of this. Also, if you buy new, you can negotiate a dealer installation, which is the best way of getting started. I stretched myself a bit buying my original ADSM, but I never regretted it, and four years on the price difference is irrelevant in any case.

(2017-08-17 07:13)timster Wrote:  The only caveat when it comes to a Surround system is that, as the Akurate EDSM has no analogue outputs, you could only use it to drive the fronts. It's not a big deal if you aren't concerned with an Exakt Surround system, which I doubt anyway as it would cost a small fortune!

Yes. I am sure you would find that, with your budget, any surround system you could get would be less satisying overall than the stereo system you could get for the same money.

David