Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 18:05 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Development v / Konfig 4.34.73; Mac OS X - Cannot add subwoofer

Konfig 4.34.73; Mac OS X - Cannot add subwoofer
2017-08-24, 19:59
RE: Konfig 4.34.73; Mac OS X - Cannot add subwoofer
(2017-08-24 15:49)DavidHB Wrote:  Spoke to Linn Support about this today. They said that they were aware of the reports and the software team were on the case. Naturally they didn't give any timescale for the fix (and in their place nor would I).

David

David,

In case you're worried about your upcoming Sub home demo - if you have an Exaktbox Sub it automatically adds the sub into Konfig for you, you just have to, err, 'konfigure' it (location-wise). The "add additional subwoofer" bug only applies to non-Exakt subs.

That said, you can add a non-exakt sub with the PC version of Konfig (don't have a Mac so don't know about that)...

Probably best to make a safe copy of your current profile before you start, just in case.
  • Go into Change Room Info and click the Add Subwoofer button
  • Immediately do a Save As and choose a new name.
  • Close Konfig
  • Re-open Konfig
  • You should now be told that your room info is incomplete.
  • Go back into Change Room Info.
  • You should now be able to position your sub.
  • Optimise and apply.
  • Spend several hours tweaking modes. Again. Big Grin

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-25, 13:13
(2017-08-24 19:59)phino Wrote:  David,

In case you're worried about your upcoming Sub home demo - if you have an Exaktbox Sub it automatically adds the sub into Konfig for you, you just have to, err, 'konfigure' it (location-wise). The "add additional subwoofer" bug only applies to non-Exakt subs.

That said, you can add a non-exakt sub with the PC version of Konfig (don't have a Mac so don't know about that)...

Probably best to make a safe copy of your current profile before you start, just in case.
  • Go into Change Room Info and click the Add Subwoofer button
  • Immediately do a Save As and choose a new name.
  • Close Konfig
  • Re-open Konfig
  • You should now be told that your room info is incomplete.
  • Go back into Change Room Info.
  • You should now be able to position your sub.
  • Optimise and apply.
  • Spend several hours tweaking modes. Again. Big Grin

Thanks, phino. Just what I needed to know, for Exakt at least. I hope that my days of adding non-Exakt sub-woofers are now over. Smile

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-09-01, 10:07
Bizarre this is taking so long to fix. DavidHB must be pleased there was a workaround for his recent experiments though. If there weren't....

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-01, 18:17
timster, how long does it usually take to get a fix for a bug like that?
2017-09-02, 00:34 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-02 00:37 by DavidHB.)
(2017-09-01 18:17)sunshine Wrote:  timster, how long does it usually take to get a fix for a bug like that?

I don't think that there is a "usually". There are many different varieties of bugs, and the cause of a problem is rarely apparent to the user. Effort also has to be allocated within the software team to produce, test and document the fix. Moreover, as it takes some effort to produce new builds for all supported models, a bug fix may have to wait a while (in Linn's case rarely much longer than a week, from what I have seen) to find its way into the next build.

In the present case, the team may see the problem as lower priority than some others, because there there is a recent stable build that doesn't have the problem; temporarily opting out of the beta programme will get you an 'update' to the stable build. As it happens, the current stable release uses the same Exakt firmware as the beta builds, so, even when relevant, that is not currently an issue. And the bug is only in Konfig; any optimisation with a sub-woofer that the DS is currently using will not be affected.

With Exakt, attaching an Exaktbox Sub to the system will, as phino says, allow you to identify the sub to the Exakt engine. But with the bug (assuming it is the same one) you cannot enter positioning data for the sub. So you still have to revert to the release build as previously described.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-09-02, 06:18
Ahh. I didn't realise it only affected the beta build, thanks for the clarification David.
@sunshine - a bug that breaks some functionality in a stable build would be high priority. In the past, similar things have usually been fixed within a few days.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-09-02, 07:09
In my SPACE settings I had only configured 1 sub instead of the 2, and when I installed the 3rd one I tried removing that from Konfig too. Konfig can still remove subs, so that worked fine.
My reasoning was/is that all 3 of the subs are only relevant for the lowest room mode, 20 odd Hz, as for the higher ones, 50 and up, my 212s are already doing most of the work, and I wanted to see if SO without subs would give a workable starting position. It turned out it didn't, so I reloaded my previous configuration and the one configured sub had returned.
I still have only the one sub configured in SO but that one plays at a slightly higher volume as the other 2 that is a defendable choice I think. As for the room modes: compared to Paulsurrounds original 1 sub configuration I slightly lowered the values of the lowest, 3dB, and next room mode, 1dB, as the volume of the subs is 3dB lower than when I only had one and having multiple subs can cancel out roommodes a bit.

TL,DR; the only bug in Konfig is that you can't add, and maybe move around, subwoofers.
Their roommodes can be calculated and adjusted perfectly.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-09-02, 09:58
(2017-09-02 06:18)timster Wrote:  Ahh. I didn't realise it only affected the beta build, thanks for the clarification David.
@sunshine - a bug that breaks some functionality in a stable build would be high priority. In the past, similar things have usually been fixed within a few days.

According to http://oss.linn.co.uk/Konfig/history.html#/ 4.34.73 is a stable build. I wasn't enrolled in beta - just activated it yesterday. But as you said, it is not such a big deal as only the placement of the subwoofer is not possible.
2017-09-19, 15:39
(2017-09-02 09:58)sunshine Wrote:  
(2017-09-02 06:18)timster Wrote:  Ahh. I didn't realise it only affected the beta build, thanks for the clarification David.

According to http://oss.linn.co.uk/Konfig/history.html#/ 4.34.73 is a stable build. I wasn't enrolled in beta - just activated it yesterday. But as you said, it is not such a big deal as only the placement of the subwoofer is not possible.

I don't see it as "not such a big deal" (nor did I say that). If you can't position it, you can't select the model either as far as I can see. It just makes a mess.
And as it is the latest stable release I stand by my surprise that it hasn't been fixed in such a long time.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2017-09-19, 16:54
Sorry timster, my bad. I misquoted you. I think I wanted to refer to Tin's post (last paragraph) - but I can't remember.

Well, I hope we get a bug fix soon...