Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-18, 04:54 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Meta / Off-topic v / CrashPlan to cease Home subscriptions

CrashPlan to cease Home subscriptions
2017-08-22, 17:50 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-22 17:51 by mickc.)
CrashPlan to cease Home subscriptions
Wasn't sure whether to post this in 'Network Players...' as most of my backups are music. So...

I've been using 'CrashPlan for Home' for a few years now. Always reliable and a great price at $59.99 for unlimited storage - my files currently amount to 2.2TB.

However, CrashPlan are moving to 'Pro' only.

It was costing $59.99 per year.

CrashPlan offer two (well, three, if you include not bothering at all) options, with reduced costs to tempt folk:-

1) Convert to an account at Carbonite - Carbonite is $269.99 annually ($134.99 for CrashPlan Home users) for 250GB, plus $99.99 ($79.99) per 100GB extra. I use 2.2TB so will need the basic package plus, say, ten lots of additional storage, which equals $134.99 + (10 * $79.99) = $934.89, which is a bit of a leap from the $59.99 I am currently paying!

2) Convert to CrashPlan Pro - free until current term runs out (in twelve months time) then 75% off for a year then $10 per device per month, so $120 a year. Also they will transfer data for me.

Looks like option B for me...

Anyone else with other (polite) suggestions? The attraction of option B is that I won't have to re-upload all my data.

Mick

LP12SE * KDS/3 * KK/1/D * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-22, 18:01
RE: CrashPlan to cease Home subscriptions
I assume this is your off site backup?

A friend and I sync data to each others NASs.
Another option is just buying an external harddrive and storing that out of the house.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-08-22, 18:21
(2017-08-22 18:01)Tin Wrote:  I assume this is your off site backup?

A friend and I sync data to each others NASs.
Another option is just buying an external harddrive and storing that out of the house.

It is; yes. No friends have space for 2.2TB of my files unfortunately. I use a couple of old NAS boxes as local backups and CrashPlan as an offsite one. A major appeal of CrashPlan is that it is transparent in use - fit and forget.

Mick

MDSM/3 * Majik 109
2017-08-22, 18:48
All well and good but like iCloud and all the other "backup to the cloud" services, it seems like snake oil to me. OK if you want to access files from anywhere, when on hols for example, but as a backup solution it really makes no sense these days. External drives are cheap and reliable, and small. I have a set of keys at my neighbour's and vice-versa. I could easily ask them to keep my backup drives too, if I were minded to keep offsite backups. Fire safe is good enough for me, but if it weren't, off-site means another house. Why pay for the cloud?

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-22, 18:58 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-22 19:01 by mickc.)
(2017-08-22 18:48)timster Wrote:  All well and good but like iCloud and all the other "backup to the cloud" services, it seems like snake oil to me. OK if you want to access files from anywhere, when on hols for example, but as a backup solution it really makes no sense these days. External drives are cheap and reliable, and small. I have a set of keys at my neighbour's and vice-versa. I could easily ask them to keep my backup drives too, if I were minded to keep offsite backups. Fire safe is good enough for me, but if it weren't, off-site means another house. Why pay for the cloud?

I guess because in my instance it's a very easy offsite backup which needs no input from me after initial setup. Change a file and the difference is backed up straight away. Runs automatically in the background, and keeps a huge amount of earlier versions of files, which doesn't matter as far as music files are concerned, but it's come in handy a few times over the years with other documents.

Mick

MDSM/3 * Majik 109
2017-08-22, 20:18
Just got that message too from Crashplan, very disappointed.

Started looking at few alternatives, see https://www.cloudwards.net/award/best-on...-services/

But I'd love to hear from someone who's using another service that they'd recommend.

Peter
Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Kazoo & Lumin on PC, iPad, Android
2017-08-23, 21:18
Backblaze - fantastic service.

Rik

http://www.rikwatson.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-24, 16:31
(2017-08-23 21:18)Rik Wrote:  Backblaze - fantastic service.

Rik

Rik,

Thanks for
the feedback. Backblaze looked very interesting from the review

Peter
2017-09-26, 10:12
Backblaze looks good. It says it will back up external drives, but is anyone using it tosuccessfully back up a mapped network drive please?

Main: AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AExaktbox10; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, AVSeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2017-09-26, 11:23
One thing worth looking at with different cloud backup services are the file types they exclude. For instance, I believe CrashPlan doesn't back up system images (plain old ISOs are ok) - however, I don't have such files so it's not an issue for me, but might be for some.

Mick

MDSM/3 * Majik 109