Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-17, 19:47 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Space Optimisation v / Custom filters only on a Majik DSM/2

Custom filters only on a Majik DSM/2
2017-08-23, 13:28
Custom filters only on a Majik DSM/2
Hi all.

I am considering purchasing a Majik DSM/2. I will be moving from a setup where I use a MiniDSP to remedy issues around 60hz.

If I do purchase it, I will certainly test SPACE optmisation, but after having poor experience with Dirac using my current speakers (Dirac had great effect on my previous setup) I want to be sure that I can disable all kinds of speaker/room-optimization with the exception of two custom filters.

My question, that I am having some trouble finding a simple answer to in the manuals etc. is:
Can I disable all types of correction on a Majik DSM/2, but still use two filters with the parameters (67hz, -7, Q7; 58, -5, Q3).

Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-23, 13:33
RE: Custom filters only on a Majik DSM/2
I am pretty sure you can - I think it would require you to optimize for the room, then set all the calculated modes to 0dB, and then you can add up to 4 custom filters (y9ou'll probably have to manually calculate what the Q values mean in terms of bandwidth and gain).

But then again - you may be surprised at how good the calculated modes are Wink

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-23, 13:38
Yes, I am absolutely open to trying it, I just want to be sure that I can disable all but the filters, if the result is not what I want.

Thank you.
2017-08-23, 13:38
As a general statement I think the answer to your question is yes. SO creates filters based on the room setup and you can then add custom filters yourself in addition (not sure if there is a limit to how many? Certainly 2 is OK). You can adjust the depth of and width of each filter. So if you don't like the SO created filters you can reduce the depth to 0 and it will have no effect. I am not sure if you can actually delete these filters.

The question is will you need to? Most people find SO does a pretty good job - you may need to reduce the depth a little. Certainly it is worth experimenting a little before you discount SO.

Dave

LP12+Origin Live Alliance+Ortofon 2m Red > Graham Slee Communicator = KDSr/1 > silver > KK/1D > silver > Keltik Klimax XOvers > black > 2x4200/D > K600(+2) > Keltiks
2017-08-23, 13:44 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-23 13:49 by Donald.)
(2017-08-23 13:28)Sinsen Wrote:  I am considering purchasing a Majik DSM/2. I will be moving from a setup where I use a MiniDSP to remedy issues around 60hz.

If I do purchase it, I will certainly test SPACE optmisation, but after having poor experience with Dirac using my current speakers (Dirac had great effect on my previous setup) I want to be sure that I can disable all kinds of speaker/room-optimization with the exception of two custom filters.

My question, that I am having some trouble finding a simple answer to in the manuals etc. is:
Can I disable all types of correction on a Majik DSM/2, but still use two filters with the parameters (67hz, -7, Q7; 58, -5, Q3).

Hi Sinsen and welcome to the Forum.

Hopefully a simple answer to your question is YES.

You would still need to enter all the room parameters for the room dimensions and speaker placement (Ideal and Practical) in order to produce an Optimisation in Konfig.

This would give you you a series of Room Modes with their respective Frequencies, Gains and Bandwidths calculated by Space Optimisation - be interesting to see what it does give you for your listening room i.e. does it identify Room Modes at 58 Hz and 67 Hz. You then have the option of setting all Calculated Room Modes to zero and adding the Custom Room Modes of your choice, but try the Calculated Room Modes first before discounting them.

Hopefully those with more experience of these things will be along soon ...

EDIT: Just read the responses from timster and entdgc above - we've passed in the aether but at least the message is consistent, try SO first, you may be surprised!

Any additional questions are welcomed. Big Grin

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2017-08-23, 13:46
Excellent, thank you all for your answers, it seems like the Majik DSM then is pretty much what I need.
2017-08-23, 13:51
(2017-08-23 13:46)Sinsen Wrote:  Excellent, thank you all for your answers, it seems like the Majik DSM then is pretty much what I need.

Would be good if you would include details of other components within your system.

Keep us posted as to how things turn out! Big Grin

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2017-08-23, 13:58
(2017-08-23 13:51)Donald Wrote:  Would be good if you would include details of other components within your system.

The sources are two video sources (thus great with the HDMI pass through), Tidal and phono (MM).

The speakers are Piega Coax 30.2. (supported by Linn).

The room is small and not suited for audio purposes, with a listening position close to the back wall.

The only other viable option is the new Classé Sigma 2200i, which is even higher priced than the Linn, which again costs a bit more than I had initially planned to spend.
2017-08-23, 14:20
(2017-08-23 13:58)Sinsen Wrote:  
(2017-08-23 13:51)Donald Wrote:  Would be good if you would include details of other components within your system.

The sources are two video sources (thus great with the HDMI pass through), Tidal and phono (MM).

The speakers are Piega Coax 30.2. (supported by Linn).

The room is small and not suited for audio purposes, with a listening position close to the back wall.

The only other viable option is the new Classé Sigma 2200i, which is even higher priced than the Linn, which again costs a bit more than I had initially planned to spend.

Have you thought about the Sneaky DSM? It is a lesser beast, with smaller amps, but it can be used in bi-amp mode to give 4x30W. As it's a small room it may be worth considering?

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-23, 14:27 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-23 14:28 by Sinsen.)
Has it been discontinued? I Can't find it on Linns website. Also I guess I would lose HDMI 2.0 and built in RIAA.