Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 01:47 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 / 3rd Party Modifications and Parts v / Stamford Audio Sub chassis

Stamford Audio Sub chassis
2017-08-24, 12:53
Stamford Audio Sub chassis
Found this on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stamford-Audio...3d4549ffe1
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-24, 18:24
RE: Stamford Audio Sub chassis
Sensible price. Now what does it sound like?
2017-08-24, 20:02 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-24 20:30 by matthias.)
(2017-08-24 12:53)Igor23 Wrote:  Found this on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stamford-Audio...3d4549ffe1

It is from Edmund Chan, the Mober man.
Here you can see the Aro Version:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stamford-Audio...0009.m1982

The price is nice.

Matt

LP12 / Exposure / JBL3677
2017-08-25, 06:53
It's no Keel! All those air gaps to save weight will rob it of the required stiffness and add colouration and distortion. But then heh I loved the Grace707/Supex MC combo of the 70's and early 80's and they were coloured as oil painting? So who knows.i

KR
The Flatearther
Peter Swain Moonburst Wenge No.57 Klimax LP12 - Linn Kandid - Linn KDS - Naim 52 / 250 amps - Linn Isobariks.
2017-08-25, 08:13
(2017-08-25 06:53)The Flatearther Wrote:  It's no Keel! All those air gaps to save weight will rob it of the required stiffness and add colouration and distortion. But then heh I loved the Grace707/Supex MC combo of the 70's and early 80's and they were coloured as oil painting? So who knows.i

It is not the keel, thanks.

It is hard to believe, I have many LP12 users upgraded their sub-chassis with this one piece sub-chassis and very happy with the sound, no one complaints any colouration or distortion, weird.

But someone can attack the sound character by his eye?

Many other highly acclaimed 3rd parties sub-chassis has significant improvement in sound which has the different gap too.

Unbelievable.

This video shows the playback is using that sub-chassis.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-25, 08:46
(2017-08-25 08:13)Edmund Wrote:  
(2017-08-25 06:53)The Flatearther Wrote:  It's no Keel! All those air gaps to save weight will rob it of the required stiffness and add colouration and distortion. But then heh I loved the Grace707/Supex MC combo of the 70's and early 80's and they were coloured as oil painting? So who knows.i

It is hard to believe, I have many LP12 users upgraded their sub-chassis with this one piece sub-chassis and very happy with the sound, no one complaints any colouration or distortion, weird.

Many other highly acclaimed 3rd parties sub-chassis has significant improvement in sound which has the different gap too.

Unbelievable.

Edmund,
Distortion doesn't refer to waveform clipping in this case. It refers to any deviance from the original recording. Even the Keel isn't perfect. Your product may sound very good or poor, whichever, it will have its own character, as does every component in the chain.

I do not see in my post where I have "attacked" anything! But answer me this, how many months or even years in the case of the Keel were spent in R&D on the chassis, with continual change and testing using such devices as a laser inferometer to measure vibrations and structural behaviour and distortion. Hundreds of Pre-Keels went in the bin. Many which were subject to a great deal of tweaking and adjustment until Linn were content that they had achieved by tune dem, the absolute best that was possible and still be able to sell and market the product. Many say the Keel is far too expensive. But the r&d that went into it are remarkable and it transforms the deck beyond doubt with an Ekos SE. The Kore does the same job, but to a lesser degree because it has to be marketed sensibly.

The Stamford may bring a lot of people a great deal of enjoyment and that's great.

In regard to your other sentence, I have heard quite a few 3rd party chassis' and none of them were an improvement on a Kore except for the Rubicon and the Akula and they both have their own character as well.

The test is not is there more detail, but does it improve the tune, does it improve the PRaT. If not the extra detail will quickly become disappointing.

There is room in the market at the Stamfords price so good luck.

KR
The Flatearther
Peter Swain Moonburst Wenge No.57 Klimax LP12 - Linn Kandid - Linn KDS - Naim 52 / 250 amps - Linn Isobariks.
2017-08-25, 08:58
(2017-08-25 06:53)The Flatearther Wrote:  All those air gaps to save weight will rob it of the required stiffness and add colouration and distortion.

The VP Unity Two for example has huge air gaps too, is very stiff but without saving weight and users report very low distorsion.
So sorry, I can not see your point.

Matt

2017-08-25, 09:17
(2017-08-25 08:46)The Flatearther Wrote:  In regard to your other sentence, I have heard quite a few 3rd party chassis' and none of them were an improvement on a Kore except for the Rubicon and the Akula and they both have their own character as well.

Interesting to compare the upcoming upgraded Akula to Kore and Keel.

Matt

2017-08-25, 13:04
(2017-08-25 08:46)The Flatearther Wrote:  
(2017-08-25 08:13)Edmund Wrote:  

Unbelievable.

Edmund,
Distortion doesn't refer to waveform clipping in this case. It refers to any deviance from the original recording. Even the Keel isn't perfect. Your product may sound very good or poor, whichever, it will have its own character, as does every component in the chain.

I do not see in my post where I have "attacked" anything! But answer me this, how many months or even years in the case of the Keel were spent in R&D on the chassis, with continual change and testing using such devices as a laser inferometer to measure vibrations and structural behaviour and distortion. Hundreds of Pre-Keels went in the bin. Many which were subject to a great deal of tweaking and adjustment until Linn were content that they had achieved by tune dem, the absolute best that was possible and still be able to sell and market the product. Many say the Keel is far too expensive. But the r&d that went into it are remarkable and it transforms the deck beyond doubt with an Ekos SE. The Kore does the same job, but to a lesser degree because it has to be marketed sensibly.

The Stamford may bring a lot of people a great deal of enjoyment and that's great.

In regard to your other sentence, I have heard quite a few 3rd party chassis' and none of them were an improvement on a Kore except for the Rubicon and the Akula and they both have their own character as well.

The test is not is there more detail, but does it improve the tune, does it improve the PRaT. If not the extra detail will quickly become disappointing.

There is room in the market at the Stamfords price so good luck.

Good read but how do you know hundreds were made...

Living Room: Black Ash LP12/Trampolinn/Lingo 1/Kore/Akito/DV20X2H - AEDSM - Exakt-box - Linn Silvers - Akurate 4200D/1 (2 off) - Ninkas (Upgrade Bases)
Kitchen: Sneaky DS - Komponent 104's
Other: Sonos Play 3 and Sonos ZP90
2017-08-25, 13:15
The proof of the pudding will be in the listening on a properly set up deck. NOBODY can predict what it will sound like by looking at pictures.