Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 13:56 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 / 3rd Party Modifications and Parts v / Stamford Audio Sub chassis

Stamford Audio Sub chassis
2017-08-25, 14:07
RE: Stamford Audio Sub chassis
The Flatearther Wrote:

Quote:But answer me this, how many months or even years in the case of the Keel were spent in R&D on the chassis, with continual change and testing using such devices as a laser inferometer to measure vibrations and structural behaviour and distortion. Hundreds of Pre-Keels went in the bin. Many which were subject to a great deal of tweaking and adjustment until Linn were content that they had achieved by tune dem, the absolute best that was possible and still be able to sell and market the product.
Quote:Even the Keel isn't perfect.

There are many imperfect choices.

If I was Linn design engineer, I would not agree with this statement. Wasted years and hundred of Pre-Keels.

That hint points us to nowhere.

What tune dem ? Should we all know the amplifiers, cables set up to replicate that tune dem?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-25, 15:25 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-25 15:27 by matthias.)
(2017-08-25 14:07)Edmund Wrote:  What tune dem ? Should we all know the amplifiers, cables set up to replicate that tune dem?

Edmund,
what are your performance criteria for a new product if not to be better in Tune Dem than the competition?
Thanks

Matt

LP12 / Exposure / JBL3677
Find all posts by this user
2017-08-25, 16:03
I don't buy into the evaluation techniques such as tune dem BS or that you can predict what a cartridge is going to sound like from the first cue into a blank groove. Sometimes one only appreciates the true strengths of a component with extended listening. Very extended listening. Frequently the most realistic reproduction of live music ~ my only reference & in a good venue like the Musikverein, is initially the component that sounds the least "hi fi". (most of us don't have access to the master tapes that we for obvious reasons can never better at home.)
2017-08-25, 20:53
(2017-08-25 16:03)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  I don't buy into the evaluation techniques such as tune dem BS or that you can predict what a cartridge is going to sound like from the first cue into a blank groove. Sometimes one only appreciates the true strengths of a component with extended listening. Very extended listening. Frequently the most realistic reproduction of live music ~ my only reference & in a good venue like the Musikverein, is initially the component that sounds the least "hi fi". (most of us don't have access to the master tapes that we for obvious reasons can never better at home.)

Agree one hundred percent...when I keep playing records and think "just one more" and realize I've been playing for another five hours, that is when I know I have the proper components set up in the proper configuration for me in my music room. Smile

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-08-26, 00:02
(2017-08-25 15:25)matthias Wrote:  
(2017-08-25 14:07)Edmund Wrote:  What tune dem ? Should we all know the amplifiers, cables set up to replicate that tune dem?

Edmund,
what are your performance criteria for a new product if not to be better in Tune Dem than the competition?
Thanks

Matt

Hello Matthia,

Quote:The Linn Philosophy of Tune Dem is :
"The Tune Dem is a way to compare the two products and decide on how easy it is to follow the tune and appreciate the musical piece as a whole on each one — this allows you to hear quite clearly which product sounds better."

Quote:Flatearther wrote:
Many which were subject to a great deal of tweaking and adjustment until Linn were content that they had achieved by tune dem
Even the Keel isn't perfect. Your product may sound very good or poor, whichever, it will have its own character, as does every component in the chain.

https://www.linn.co.uk/tunedem

I asked what is that Tune Dem scenario when Linn design engineer was conducting the R & D of Pre-Keels.

Becuase it varies from times to times with different amplifiers. Or buyer with all different gear might resulting different Tune Dem.
As you know, I am not in a good position to say it is better or not better.
But big surprise from all users has had installed it.

I do have AB comparison with various sub-chassis according to Linn Tune Dem method.

That sub-chassis is purposely built at less than 1 Kg. It is much easier to adjust the bouncing, in case you have a heavier tonearm like EKOS SE.....etc. Or if you want to add other accessories on top of your bearing...etc.
2017-08-26, 07:45 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-31 09:16 by matthias.)
(2017-08-26 00:02)Edmund Wrote:  It is much easier to adjust the bouncing, in case you have a heavier tonearm like EKOS SE.....etc.

Hi Edmund,

I am more interested in the Aro version. The Aro is much lighter than the Ekos SE.
Do you have testimonials from Aro users?

And what about the design?
It is made from aluminium, but is it CNC machined or is it cast alu?
There is not much info about it from Stamford Audio.
Thanks

Matt

2017-08-27, 01:51
I believe the Mober sub-chassis is the lightest comparatively , it is around 960g.

I knew one 3 rd parties sub-chassis including arm board weight 1.3Kg.

No comments on ARO version yet.

It is CNC machine cut on high-grade aluminium. Smile
2017-08-27, 17:49
In comparison to other sub chassis this SC provides much more space to accommodate the Mober bearing house.
Maybe a drawback of this design for the Linn bearing is that the bearing mounting area has a larger diameter and is likely weaker than that of the Keel.

Matt

2017-08-29, 07:07
Obviously, it is easy to criticize by visual for everybody.

More importantly, as Ivor Philosophy said, "Just listen".

There are many other differences too, you can say it is good, it is bad, whatever, never end. Smile
2017-08-29, 07:19
[Image: CgAprQ6.jpg]

[Image: jZSn2gH.jpg]