Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-12, 09:29 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 / 3rd Party Modifications and Parts v / Stamford Audio Sub chassis

Stamford Audio Sub chassis
2017-09-01, 03:49
RE: Stamford Audio Sub chassis
(2017-08-31 17:28)matthias Wrote:  
(2017-08-31 14:06)Edmund Wrote:  About the earth wire, why it is essential? Sad

Edmund,
it is common wisdom that a LP12 sounds better when the main metallic parts are earthed. This includes the tonearm, the top plate, the sub chassis, the wiring strap and the Tramp2.
There are some nice images in Peters LP12 set-up guide showing various earthed sub chassis:

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.p...#pid110502

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.p...#pid194775

BTW, I like your sub chassis.
Maybe I buy one.
If you do not provide a bolt for an earth wire, I would do it myself here:
(2017-08-31 08:13)matthias Wrote:  A perfect place for this bolt would be at the crossing point of the six ribs on the tone arm board next to the tone arm mounting hole.

Matt

You know I am 3rd parties wisdom, for last 10 years, I never connect the ground to any part of LP12 anymore. I did test the difference, no difference at loud, quiet, fast, slow music.

I believe it is absolutely essential for LP12 with Valhalla PSU, very high AC voltage present inside the turntable, any AC mains leakage will be fatal. All metal part must be ground for safety precaution, in case of AC leakage, it cut off the AC mains automatically.

After my Lingo, Mose/Hercules, then Mober, no more very high voltage present inside the turntable anymore.

Occasionally, I received the message from users complaints hum present after upgrade to Mose/Hercules, problem solved by remove that Ac ground. Most of 3 rd Parties phono cable, high end or low end, does not have the short wire from din plug, only at the RCA end, it is the most important ground to get rid of hum.

May be if you have a whole set of Linn turntable, Linn Phono, Linn amplifiers, it will be helpful. But not in my case.

I do not recommend the LP12 users with build in Valhalla , Hercules to upgrade to the single piece sub-chassis at the moment.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-01, 04:45
If somebody desperately wants to earth it they can drill & tap a hole at one of the web junctions & insert a machine screw or just drill & use a short self tapper.
Find all posts by this user
2017-09-01, 13:50
(2017-09-01 03:49)Edmund Wrote:  You know I am 3rd parties wisdom, for last 10 years, I never connect the ground to any part of LP12 anymore. I did test the difference, no difference at loud, quiet, fast, slow music.

I started a thread about this topic:

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=37562

Matt

LP12 / Exposure / JBL3677
2017-09-01, 14:23
Endless debate , Big Grin
2017-09-01, 16:01
The only potential pitfall with grounding multiple components in an assembly is the possibility of establishing an unintended ground loop.

If everything is in a star configuration with common ground potential, grounding is really at worst harmless, and at best helpful.

Just listen .... or not
2017-09-01, 18:12
Linn is grounding all metal parts to meet some country regulation. Not to sound good. Like Canadian regs with those silly metal plinth corner brackets.

+1^ on ground loops.
2017-09-02, 02:53
The action is more pragmatic, I modify the sub-chassis with 3mm holes for grounding. Big Grin

[Image: qDamC5L.jpg]

A hole for Ittok II arm rest.

[Image: eO1RXYJ.jpg]
2017-09-02, 04:35
Well done :-)

LP12 / Exposure / JBL3677
2017-09-02, 08:13
Now everybody is happy!
2017-09-21, 10:44
Will there be a Rega mount sub-chassis in future

Robert
LP12 /Sole Sub-Chassis VIII+In Soles/Mober DC&PSU /Roksan Nima&sKale/ZYX R50 Bloom3/Whest PS30R