Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-22, 21:53 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / Design Of The New Akubariks and Akudoriks Katalyst Speakers?

Design Of The New Akubariks and Akudoriks Katalyst Speakers?
2017-08-25, 16:32
Design Of The New Akubariks and Akudoriks Katalyst Speakers?
The launch of the new Katalyst Akubariks and Akudoriks is less than 2 weeks away.

I was wondering if anyone knows what features are incorporated in the newly designed Akubariks and Akudoriks Katalyst speakers have incorporated?

Are they using the same AKM DACs found in the Klimax 350's?

Any clues as to the power supply changes?

Cheers

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-25, 17:00
RE: Design Of The New Akubariks and Akudoriks Katalyst Speakers?
I think in simplest terms Katalyst = the same AKM DAC Architecture as used in Klimax because:
1) this is the only DAC they found that had the capability to do what they wanted and sound good enough, and
2) I wonder if they could advertise it as Katalyst if it wasn't using the same Katalyst architecture they use elsewhere (in purely legal advertising description terms). If it were any different it may need a different name, unless they called it "based on" the Katalyst architecture or something.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-26, 06:23
(2017-08-25 17:00)timster Wrote:  I think in simplest terms Katalyst = the same AKM DAC Architecture as used in Klimax because:
1) this is the only DAC they found that had the capability to do what they wanted and sound good enough, and
2) I wonder if they could advertise it as Katalyst if it wasn't using the same Katalyst architecture they use elsewhere (in purely legal advertising description terms). If it were any different it may need a different name, unless they called it "based on" the Katalyst architecture or something.

I think you may be correct, but we will see.

I wonder if it will be a circuit board swap out, or if the whole module replaced.

Maybe with lessons learned from developing and selling the Katalyst 350's, Linn has added a few improvements for the Akubariks and Akudoriks.

Perhaps a good name for the Akubariks Katalyzed , would be Katabariks, or AkuKats.

The Akudoriks Katalyzed could DorKats, or be AkuDorks?

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
2017-08-26, 06:39
Well, it has to be:

The Aku Bar Kat:
[Image: Cw561ZHXAAAC5es.jpg]

The Aku Dor Kat:
[Image: cat-opening-door.jpg]

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-08-26, 07:07
I think they, the speakers, not the cats, should be called Katabariks and Katadoriks.

My gut feeling would be that the change would only be the circuit board, both to minimalise costs and effort, as well as being able to keep a distance with the 350s.

With SPACE Linn removed the room from the room, The first iterations of Exakt were designed to remove the drivers from the room and now Philbo is also removing the speaker cabinet, so that leaves little difference between the different setups.
We know that Linn is still learning more and more about Exakt and I am very curious to see when they will increase the processing power a notch or two and step away completely from the classic speaker designs. I can't wait to see deconstructed speakers.

But it'll be interesting to see what happens with this step first. I just hope this will generate a lot of press for Linn.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-08-28, 10:03
(2017-08-26 06:23)Paulssurround Wrote:  I wonder if it will be a circuit board swap out, or if the whole module replaced.

Not sure what you mean by 'whole module' - the entire rear unit?

LP12 (Klimax Radikal/Urika, Keel, Chord SSA, Ekos SE, Lyra Kleos; TP Vulkan, Khan, TranQ, Skale); Klimax Exakt DSM, Exakt Akubariks.
2017-08-28, 16:46
(2017-08-28 10:03)vincent Wrote:  
(2017-08-26 06:23)Paulssurround Wrote:  I wonder if it will be a circuit board swap out, or if the whole module replaced.

Not sure what you mean by 'whole module' - the entire rear unit?

Yes

When I went from Aktiv Akubariks to Exact, the whole rear module was replaced.

With the 350 Katalyst upgrade, it is a circuit board swap.

Exakt Surround 5.0:
2017-08-28, 17:13
(2017-08-28 16:46)Paulssurround Wrote:  When I went from Aktiv Akubariks to Exact, the whole rear module was replaced.

... which, IIRC, made the whole upgrade more than a tad expensive. Sad

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2017-08-29, 09:50
(2017-08-28 17:13)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2017-08-28 16:46)Paulssurround Wrote:  When I went from Aktiv Akubariks to Exact, the whole rear module was replaced.

... which, IIRC, made the whole upgrade more than a tad expensive. Sad

David

So we believe/hope it's going to be a circuit board swap, and that not too much is involved in swapping ...

LP12 (Klimax Radikal/Urika, Keel, Chord SSA, Ekos SE, Lyra Kleos; TP Vulkan, Khan, TranQ, Skale); Klimax Exakt DSM, Exakt Akubariks.
2017-08-29, 12:55 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-29 12:56 by Mark57.)
My dealer said he thinks it was likely to be a complete module returned to the factory job. But this is not yet confirmed.

LP12 + Akurate stuff.