Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-17, 03:08 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / Ask a Question v / QNAP TS412 Drive Replacement

QNAP TS412 Drive Replacement
2017-08-29, 07:19
QNAP TS412 Drive Replacement
Folks have lots of trouble with this but I cannot find advice that gets mine solved. I have a QNAP TS-412 4-bay NAS server. Four 2TB drives in it, mirrored like this: Drives 1&2 are a RAID-1 2TB volume, and Drives 3&4 are a RAID-1 2TB volume.

Drive 4 went bad. Drive 3 is thus in degraded mode. I can still read the data.

I powered down, installed a 3TB drive in Bay 4, and rebooted the server. The box starts to rebuild the degraded volume but stops quickly. Still in degraded mode and Drive 3 can still be read.

"RAID mgmt" tab says (next to Drive 3) "Please insert a drive of larger capacity and wait for the drive status to become Ready before executing this operation," even though the new drive I put in is 3TB instead of two. It shows me buttons for "Add Hard Drive," Configure Spare Drive" and "Global Spare" but they're greyed out. I cannot figure how to add this 4th drive so that the auto-rebuild happens. Must I format in a PC first or something? I do not want to lose all the data that's still readable on Drive 3.

"Volume Mgmt" tab shows me Drives 1&2 as a mirrored volume, and Drive 3 degraded. For Drive 4 it says "no disk." I guess that means it did NOT see the new 3TB drive I installed.

How can I get that drive to be recognized by the server? A PC says it's good...although not formatted. But shouldn't the TS-412 auto-format it?

Must be a very simple problem but I'm unfamiliar. Thanks for any advice; something about this is not being stated by QNAP documents.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-31, 21:42
RE: QNAP TS412 Drive Replacement
Did you read the manual how to rebuild the volume? I would have expected to hot swap the drive while the system is powered up!
Are you sure that the rebuild really started? If so, you might have run into a double fault, i.e. drive 3 has physical read errors on some sectors. This is common if drives are of same production lot.
You should check if the NAS offers a surface scan to verify drive 3. It's also a good idea to schedule a surface scan regurlarly once a month - if your NAS offers such a function...

ADSM/0, NAD Masters M22, KEF R700
2017-08-31, 22:54 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-31 22:57 by vorhis.)
Of course I read the manual. It did not specify hot-swapping vs. cold-swapping. Naturally the last thing an engineer would assume, in absence of clarification, would be to hot-swap. That kind of thing is much more risk-prone than power-cycling before and after...unless of course it's the intent.

Are you speaking from knowledge of QNAP systems, or guessing? Either way I'm not saying you're not right, it's just not the thing I was comfortable assuming, so I didn't.

Does this NAS server, or do most NAS boxes, look for a hot-swap to do an auto-mirror-rebuild? And do they purposefully avoid the auto-rebuild if a cold swap happened?

Regarding scan, Drive 3 is good, and still readable. I did a full scan. Drive 4 had what I think were mechanical failures so the volume is right now just Drive 3, with no redundant data protection.

I am pretty sure the rebuild never really began.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have, Hagen.
2017-08-31, 22:56
I would concur with the comments from Hagen2000 above.

I had one of my TS-451 NAS WD Red drives fail a couple of months ago - it failed the regular monthly Smart Scan but as it was still under warranty it was replaced by WD with no questions asked.

The faulty drive was removed and hot swapped with a new drive i.e. a hot swap with the NAS still powered up - the two drives in my NAS were configured as RAID 1 and this simply rebuilt overnight. I seemed to gain some additional space as I think some rationalisation happened?

If you powered down to replace the disk then we need some input from Mike Spragg or Briain - or alternatively look for advice on the QNAP Forum.

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2017-09-01, 00:54
Yes, I powered down (more than once). I read somewhere that marking a drive as a "global spare" can help "nudge" a QNAP box into starting a rebuild, especially if a power-down had intervened. But I read that in a description of a different scenario wherein the individual was putting the new drive into the wrong bay. I was using the same bay as the drive that had failed. So I did not do that yet...because in my case the NAS box wasn't seeing the drive I'd put in at all.

The main reason I opened this thread was because of that--the NAS box wasn't recognizing the drive at all, whether I had powered down or not. It saw no spare so didn't give me the option to identify anything as a "global spare."

I finally figured out that putting in a "spare" drive that had previously been initialized with multiple partitions was a problem--the NAS box would just see the first partition. It wouldn't try to format it unless & until the partition it saw was big enough. I resolved that by making a single large partition and formatting it in another machine. But then strangely the NAS box didn't recognize the drive at all. it could be that power-cycling it then became my error, I don't know. But since it doesn't see the drive, it's difficult to recover from that.

I *think* a drive has to have its first (or only) partition big enough, and I *think* it has to have been formatted already. Are these requisites? The manual doesn't say anything about it but I've come to the conclusion they are requirements.

Today I bought a new 2TB WD drive. I'll try it tonight.

Thanks for the "try it as a hot swap" idea.
2017-09-01, 08:06
One major task of a NAS is to assure continuous access to your data. From this point of view, hot-swap is the natural approach. Older systems were even killed when you did a cold-swap because the NAS software couldn't detect the drive swap when powered down.

You can not add a spare drive with your configuration, because all 4 drive bays are used (2xRAID1 = 4 drives). You would need a 5th bay - which you don't have.
You could add a spare drive when using a RAID5 configuration with three drives and using the 4th bay for a spare drive. A spare drive is an additional drive not being in use under normal conditions.

Normally formatting the drive should not be necessary or even be irrelevant as the drive is re-formatted by the NAS. May be the 3TB drive is simply not compatible with your NAS (hardware / software).

ADSM/0, NAD Masters M22, KEF R700
2017-09-01, 10:37 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-01 10:43 by Donald.)
(2017-09-01 00:54)vorhis Wrote:  Thanks for the "try it as a hot swap" idea.

It's not an "idea" and I'm not "guessing" - the Specification for your TS-412 clearly state: -

HDD Tray 4 x hot-swappable tray

https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/product/model...12&event=2

You said "Of course I read the manual. It did not specify hot-swapping vs. cold-swapping" but I'm currently looking at the User Manual: Chapter 7. Hot-swap Hard Drives page 49.

https://eu1.qnap.com/Storage/TechnicalDo...al_ENG.pdf

Also look at the User Manual: Chapter 8. RAID Recovery pages 50-51 which deals with how to " ... recover a failed RAID disk volume from unintentional disconnection or removal of the hard drives from the system."

Finally there is no need to format the new drive before installing.

Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
2017-09-01, 15:06
Looking into the manual I find the follwing instructions (copy/paste):

The NAS supports hot-swapping the hard drives when 1 member drive crashes in RAID 1, 1–2 member drives crash in RAID 5 or RAID 6. Follow the steps below to hot-swap the hard drive when a member drive fails in a RAID configuration.
1. Login the NAS and check the disk volume configuration in “Volume Management”.
2. The volume status should be “in degraded mode”.
3. Prepare a new hard drive to replace the failed one. The capacity of the new hard drive should be the same as or larger than the failed hard drive.
4. Unplug the failed drive from the NAS. Wait for about 20 seconds or until the server beeps twice.
5. Remove the failed drive from the drive tray.
6. Install the new hard drive on the drive tray. Insert it to the NAS.
7. The server should beep 1.5 seconds twice.
8. Check the volume status on the web administration page. The volume should be rebuilding

Warning: Users are strongly recommended to turn OFF the server before replacing the hard drive to reduce the risk of electric shock.

end copy/paste

What I find irritating is the last sentence which QNAP put in a framed area preceded by a red danger sign. How would you read that? It is the last sentence in the chapter 7 which is about Hot Swapping Hard Disks. Hot swapping with power off?

... and yes it says in chapter 7 and in other parts of the document that any disk (new or used) that has not been in the NAS before will be automatically formatted and partitioned.

I have no practical own experience since so far my disks are spinning and doing well. But the oldest 2 are arriving at 6 years of age and I have 2 new WD reds ready for the day to come. I downloaded the manual recently and read through he relevant chapters just to be prepared. But chapter 7 left me puzzled tbh. I would probabaly have gone the power down route just as the OP did. Now I am hesitant and yes, really looking forward to Briain's jumping in (please)

KK/1/D, KDS/3, 2xKCTs/D into B&W 803 D3, Oppo 105, QNAP 439 Pro II
2017-09-01, 15:24
All I can say is to repeat that I have gone through the pain of a WD Red failing in my QNAP NAS and this was replaced by hot swapping the disks.

My original Post #4 can be found here : -

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=34598

2017-09-01, 15:59
(2017-09-01 15:24)Donald Wrote:  All I can say is to repeat that I have gone through the pain of a WD Red failing in my QNAP NAS and this was replaced by hot swapping the disks.

My original Post #4 can be found here : -

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=34598

Thank you Donald. So the manual is wrong then.

KK/1/D, KDS/3, 2xKCTs/D into B&W 803 D3, Oppo 105, QNAP 439 Pro II