Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-09-22, 23:37 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Need help with Linn Axis

Need help with Linn Axis
2017-09-13, 13:37
RE: Need help with Linn Axis
The Denon must have been worn out. You shouldn't use alcohol on the stylus, it will creep up the cantilever and harden the bushing. If you want to try a liquid, just use water.

You will need a firm bristle type brush. The old discwasher SC-2, or the Audio Technica vibrating one, or one like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/LP-Record-Stylus-C...ylus+brush

The bristles are firm and will scrape the junk from the sides of the stylus. Only use in a back to front direction.

Gary

LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/Kore/Ekos1/Tkable balanced/Uphorik/Krystal/ADSM/1/aktiv Akubariks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-13, 21:32
(2017-09-13 13:37)bettermusic Wrote:  The Denon must have been worn out. You shouldn't use alcohol on the stylus, it will creep up the cantilever and harden the bushing. If you want to try a liquid, just use water.

You will need a firm bristle type brush. The old discwasher SC-2, or the Audio Technica vibrating one, or one like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/LP-Record-Stylus-C...ylus+brush

The bristles are firm and will scrape the junk from the sides of the stylus. Only use in a back to front direction.
To be honest, I've tried a few of those newer brushes from different manufacturers, all of which look like the one in your link, and they are all useless for anything other than getting a blob of fluff off the tip. Try to clean a stylus with one of them under a microscope and it looks just as bad afterward as it did before. The only really good manual stylus brush is the Discwasher SC-2 which does a pretty good job of getting most stuff off the stylus -
although you should throw away the liquid that comes with it. I don't normally recommend using any fluid on a stylus as it can easily migrate into the suspension and cause problems. I have not tried Lyra SPT, which is claimed to be safe, but I have also heard varied reports of its effectiveness so I haven't been in a hurry to put it on my Kandid.

However, for caked on gunk like mentioned above nothing works as well as the Linn green paper, which is a very fine abrasive. I have seen some styli with really badly caked on stuff that sometimes hides the diamond completely and I have always been able to get it all off with green paper even when an SC-2 or Goldring vibrating pad cleaner would not touch it. Mind the worst of these took 45 minutes of careful work on the diamond with frequent checks under the microscope but in the end the diamond was perfectly clean.

In my experience there are four stylus cleaners that work. The Discwasher SC-2 is great for blobs of dust and fibers and will sometimes remove the gunk, depending on how hardened it is. The vibrating pad cleaners will pretty much do the same thing as the SC-2 but I find them no more effective and they aren't as good for brushing off the lint. From what I have seen the Goldring, AT and Signet all seem about the same in efficacy. The Linn green paper, an ultra fine 3m film abrasive, is the best for getting off the nasty stuff and an occasional polish. Finally Silly Putty is the best thing I have found for taking all the little particles off the diamond. Use it on a stylus under the scope and it will leave the diamond sparkling. Silly Putty leaves no residue and doesn't stick to the stylus or cantilever if you make sure you get the original Silly Putty and not any of the glow in the dark variations. It has a pinkish-orange color and has just the right surface tension to grab the little specks of dust and vinyl and leave the diamond clean. The glow in the dark version is a different formula and can stick to a cantilever, as one of my customers found out (I was able to get it cleaned up). Plus Silly Putty is cheap, at least over here. If you don't like the idea of Silly Putty you can also get Bergeon Rodico 6033 watchmakers putty. It works just as well as Silly Putty, although no better, but sounds fancier and more techy, plus it costs a bit more. It is regularly available on fleaBay. Oznow Zerodust is OK too if you like paying a lot of money for a Silly Putty substitute. But a couple of our customers bought it and didn't feel it was as effective as Silly Putty from what they could hear. One of them brought it into the store and in a test on a few styli under the microscope we found that Silly Putty was more effective at getting the diamonds truly clean than the Zerodust. I have also tried the magic eraser and it has some value but not as much as the putty type cleaners and the porous nature of it makes me very leery of using it in any kind of wiping motion.

I keep all four of the good stylus cleaners handy (I have both the Silly Putty and Bergeon Rodico 6033 which I consider interchangeable for that type of cleaner) and the only one I don't use that much is the vibrating pad unit. I use the SC-2 for occasional cleaning and to brush off lint, I use the Linn green paper generally around every 10 records or once or twice a session and I use Silly Putty fairly regularly - every record or so when I am being attentive (but not as much as some of my customers who use it on every side of an album). Using Silly Putty is quite easy. Take something non-magnetic (a US quarter or a poker chip is great, a Canadian quarter is no-go) and put a thin blob of the putty on it. Make it about the same thickness and diameter as the quarter. Set it on the felt mat/platter, position the stylus above the center of it and lower it into the putty using the cueing device. It shouldn't sit there long at all - just a couple of seconds, then raise it up again. Do this three or four times. On most turntables the anti-skating force will pull the arm slightly to the outside each time you cue down and up so you should see a few small pits in the putty. If you haven't used it for a number of sides you will notice that the first pit has grey stuff around it, the second one has a little grey stuff and the third and fourth pits appear clean. This shows what it is picking up off the stylus.

Happy cleaning!

LP12SE Movingui • KRadikal • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • KRDS • Lejonklou Sagatun Monos & Tundra Mono 2As • JBL 3677s & 4645C Sub • NOKTable • Harmoni Mimer/Tor Racks
AV: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol • 2 LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • 2 DQ1W

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s since 1978!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-14, 01:29
Thanks for all the tips. I'll see if the Linn dealer in Seattle (nearest one to me) can send some of that that green paper along with the new felt mat I plan to order from them.
Find all posts by this user
2017-09-14, 02:02 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-14 02:06 by Glyn Ruck.)
I must agree here. Silly Putty works remarkably well. I also agree as I have said elsewhere not to use things that can migrate into the suspension or generator assembly depending on cartridge construction.
Find all posts by this user