Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 02:04 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Announcements, News and Events / Announcements & Linn News v / Linn DS now supports Spotify Connect

Linn DS now supports Spotify Connect
2017-09-04, 10:55
RE: Linn DS now supports Spotify Connect
(2017-09-04 09:49)Simon Chisholm Wrote:  
(2017-09-02 12:58)Martin H Wrote:  Simon,

The integration approach to Spotify is interesting from an experience perspective and different to how you have approached other service integrations. There are no doubt pros and cons for both.

From an experience perspective the big pro is that you can continue to use Spotify's interface as you would do normally but simply 'choose' the DS as the renderer when one is available.

Under the covers (I/we assume) the DS is passed sufficient info from the app for it to request those tracks from Spotify (authentication is handled somehow) and they stream directly to the DS.

Can I ask, is this also possible for other streaming services such as Qobuz and is it intended/likely that this might be implemented?

Back to experience, the current Qobuz experience is OK but I have found myself on a daily basis wishing that I could simply 'push' the song to DS playlist directly from their windows or ios apps.

I assume adding this feature would require changes from both you and Qobuz or is this simpler now you have done this one?

Thanks - I am not a Spotify user (albeit having a basic ID somewhere) but it's great to know it's an option.

The approach to integration is set by Spotify - they only support this workflow. (They do have some new APIs in beta however which may later allow us to manage Spotify playlists from Kazoo as well as the Spotify app.)

Under the covers, you're broadly correct. As you suggested, the DS is streaming direct from Spotify. The role of the Spotify app on your phone/tablet is just to queue up audio; after that, if can safely be switched off. One minor detail that isn't quite as you'd thought - the DS doesn't actually hold a track list. It effectively receives a single long stream of audio from Spotify, occassionally interleaved with new metadata.

We agree that integration with a streaming service's own app is desirable and have discussed this with both Tidal and Qobuz in the past. This type of integration would require work from both the streaming service and Linn. The streaming service work would either be specific to Linn or pretty substantial, requiring embedded software knowledge they may not have ready access to. I don't know of any plans for either Tidal or Qobuz in this area.

Simon, many thanks for the clear and comprehensive answer. The constant stream of course makes sense thinking about it. The current solution works and I use it daily. Adding something similar to the Spotify experience for other services would complete the user experience for both the streaming service and Linn but equally I can see why that's less likely to happen now.

Whatever happens, I appreciate the explanation.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-04, 15:46
Yes Simon - thank you for the excellent reply and explanation.

I had asked in a previous post - any further updates on how the work is going with ROON?

Best
Gregg

Naim 552/500 into Kudos Titans
Cymbiosis Signature LP12/Chris Harban Plinth/Keel/Karmen/Radikal/Urika/Chord Music/Aro/Kandid
KDS/3-Chord Music
2017-09-04, 17:45
Better later than never ...
... but I sold my KRDS/0 in the past principally for the lack of Spotify integration ...
M.

LP12 / Kore / Trampolin 2 / Akito 2b / Radikal / Adikt / T-Kable
Cambridge CXN - Silver
AK/1 - Silver - A2200/1
K200/Knekt / M109
2017-09-17, 10:43
Spotify, at last.
I had to buy an Audio Chromecast to get access by my DSM....it worked, but sound quality wasn't good.
I'm streaming Hifi Tidal now, it costs more, but I find it to be good enough.
Anyway, adding Spotify is good work.

Linn Akurate Dsm/0 - Mcintosh Mcd301 - Naim Supernait 2 - Atc Scm40.
2017-09-21, 09:14
(2017-09-20 20:59)timster Wrote:  Sorry, but this is something that is fundamental.
[snip]

This thread is drifting off topic. To allow the discussion on censorship to continue, I've promoted it to its own thread - see http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=37705
2017-09-22, 09:45
finding the spotify robust and reliable thanks and simple to use. great for discovering new artists.
2017-09-22, 23:59
Yep - this is great work. I know Spotify is substandard bit rate audio (compared to say Tidal), but i find scanning and searching new music so much easier on the resident apps (spotify / tidal etc) so much easier and rewarding (i find more music in essence). If spotify bring a lossless service - we are on a winner here.
This really has completed my DSM experience (which i have been really pleased with anyway)

Moved to a Linn system this year - and its been so rewarding on all levels
2017-10-03, 09:41
(2017-09-01 08:30)stuartb Wrote:  I'm not a big Spotify user at the moment, but that could change if they ever introduce lossless streaming (which is rumored to be coming at some point).

I just checked it on my Majik DSM, and no matter what I play, the info on the Spotify streams says 44kHz/16bits 1411kbps/PCM ...!!!

Quote:In any event, I'm very happy to see this announcement, and am surprised it has not garnered more attention. I am all in favor of Linn's offering more options to its users, even if they are not particular favorites of Linn itself. I look forward to seeing more integration with third party services/protocols in the future.

Thanks, Linn!

If Spotify is really streaming CD quality to our Linn devices, you would expect it to be part of a mayor announcement indeed. So why not?

(2017-09-22 23:59)Coolie Wrote:  Yep - this is great work. I know Spotify is substandard bit rate audio (compared to say Tidal), but i find scanning and searching new music so much easier on the resident apps (spotify / tidal etc) so much easier and rewarding (i find more music in essence). If spotify bring a lossless service - we are on a winner here.
This really has completed my DSM experience (which i have been really pleased with anyway)

Moved to a Linn system this year - and its been so rewarding on all levels

Absolutely great work! And I love the fact that you can drive your Linn from within the app itself. Much more convenient.

So, the real question is, is Spotify streaming CD quality?
Can somebody else verify?
A comment from Linn maybe?
2017-10-03, 18:47
(2017-10-03 09:41)james_vdh Wrote:  
(2017-09-01 08:30)stuartb Wrote:  I'm not a big Spotify user at the moment, but that could change if they ever introduce lossless streaming (which is rumored to be coming at some point).

I just checked it on my Majik DSM, and no matter what I play, the info on the Spotify streams says 44kHz/16bits 1411kbps/PCM ...!!!

Quote:In any event, I'm very happy to see this announcement, and am surprised it has not garnered more attention. I am all in favor of Linn's offering more options to its users, even if they are not particular favorites of Linn itself. I look forward to seeing more integration with third party services/protocols in the future.

Thanks, Linn!

If Spotify is really streaming CD quality to our Linn devices, you would expect it to be part of a mayor announcement indeed. So why not?

So, the real question is, is Spotify streaming CD quality?
Can somebody else verify?
A comment from Linn maybe?

No it isn't. See this thread:
http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=37516

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user