Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 09:22 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / A wet Wednesday with plenty of surprises

A wet Wednesday with plenty of surprises
2017-08-30, 20:08 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-30 22:20 by DavidHB.)
A wet Wednesday with plenty of surprises
Some folk will know that I asked Chris of Hidden Systems, once he was back from his French holiday and speaking English again, to come over and see what he could make of the settings and Space Optimisation on my system, and to try a few other things at the same time. Now that I (pretty much) know that a Katalyst upgrade to my setup will not be on offer until next year at the earliest, it made sense to ensure that I was making the best of my existing system.

It is always useful to have a few pairs of experienced ears assessing what is going on at these experimental/demo sessions, because they require us to listen more consciously and intensively than during relaxed listening for enjoyment. I was therefore very grateful when gonzo (Katalyst 350 and 520 systems) offered to join the party (and give his Lotus Elise a workout on our twisty island roads). So this morning, the weather having turned fitfully wet for the occasion, we all gathered at my cottage to see what mischief Chris could get up to.

Quite a lot, as it turned out. This initial post is actually an introduction to what will be a sequence of posts on the separate topics we covered. So sorry Tin, you will have to wait a bit for the sub-woofer part of the story. The next post will outline the sequence of events on the day, and the one after that will describe what happened on the settings front. Then, in turn, a KDSM, sub-woofers (note the plural), an LP12 (yes!) and a Melco N1A will make appearances. In fact, it was a challenge to decide which forum to post this thread in. I settled on this one, because what happened on the Space Optimisation and streamer settings front affected every other aspect of the day, and putting a KDSM (standing in for a KEDSM) into the system was perhaps the most significant of the wild cards Chris played.

Just as a taster, here is what the business end of my system (that is, upstream of the Exaktbox 10, A4200s , A2200 and Akubariks, all of which remained unchanged throughout) normally looks like.

[Image: 20170830_back_together%20%28small%29.jpg]

And here is how it looked at different times during the course of the day.

[Image: 20170830_first_this%20%28small%29.jpg]

[Image: 20170830_then_this%20%28small%29.jpg]

[to be continued ...]

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-08-30, 21:04
RE: A wet Wednesday with plenty of surprises
I'm looking forward for your findings, especially towards your comparison between a KDSM and an ADSM in an Exakt setup. I've no doubt that a KDSM is significantly better than an ADSM for analogue sources, but I'm curious if a KEDSM is worth its price tag compared to an AEDSM.

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs
2017-08-30, 21:12 (This post was last modified: 2017-08-30 21:18 by DavidHB.)
(2017-08-30 21:04)BB1 Wrote:  I'm looking forward for your findings, especially towards your comparison between a KDSM and an ADSM in an Exakt setup. I've no doubt that a KDSM is significantly better than an ADSM for analogue sources, but I'm curious if a KEDSM is worth its price tag compared to an AEDSM.

Of all the things that I wanted to achieve today, that was probably the lowest priority for me. I should have known better. Chris knows as well as anyone about my bank account's antipathy to all things Klimax, and I'm sure he sees it as a challenge ... Smile

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
2017-08-30, 21:23
That's a pitty, but I truly understand your point. Smile

2017-08-30, 21:40
(2017-08-30 21:23)BB1 Wrote:  That's a pitty, but I truly understand your point. Smile

You're jumping to conclusions. That might not be wise ... Smile

David

2017-08-30, 21:50
Are you suggesting that a KEDSM may be worth its money if no analogue source is involved? Or are you thinking about buying one because of your analogue source? Wink

2017-08-30, 22:04
(2017-08-30 21:50)BB1 Wrote:  Are you suggesting that a KEDSM may be worth its money if no analogue source is involved? Or are you thinking about buying one because of your analogue source? Wink

'Worth it's money' is always an individual judgement, often based on a wide range of factors. Even for myself, that's not a question I can answer with a straight "yes" or n"no". And that's about as much of the surprise as I am prepared to reveal at this point ... Smile

David

2017-08-30, 22:10
As I've said, I'm just curious… Smile

2017-08-30, 22:23
Looking forward to reading about your adventure.

John

Melco N1A, AQ Vodka, Akurate DSM, AQ Forest, Akurate EXaKtbox10, Silvers, Akurate 4200 x2, K400 x 1.5, Kabers
2017-08-31, 03:51
Looking forward to your postings as well.... preach brother Smile

Akurate ADSM/1. Akurate Exaktbox 10, 2X 4200, 2200, Akurate 242's. 2nd Akurate Exaktbox 10, 5100, Akurate 225. 5100, 104C's. ExaktBox Sub, Sunfire HRS12. Oppo 203.
Sneaky DSM, KEF LS50