Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-09-22, 23:32 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / KDSM with D'Agostino or Boulder amp

KDSM with D'Agostino or Boulder amp
2017-09-14, 22:54 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-16 07:58 by Glyn Ruck.)
RE: KDSM with D'Agostino or Boulder amp
(2017-09-14 07:27)Tin Wrote:  
(2017-09-13 23:30)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  Sony has been the main proponent of switch mode supplies & one of the very early developers & implementers. They know more about them than anybody else on the planet. When they decided to have a foray back into the high end. Guess what. They dumped them on this beast. They are a compromise but make autovolt easy.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11156]
And that proves what?
Usually there are more solutions to a single problem.
Linn as a brand performs a lot better than Sony and for all we know Sony wanted to make a product to impress some old fashioned audiophiles.

The Nissan GTR outruns is faster on a circuit than most cars boasting a larger engine. Yet there is the Hellcat too. That doesn't mean one design is clearly better than the other.
Both have their merits and both have their issues.

So it only means that a designer makes choices with every component and the end result is a combination of particular choices that works well for that combination.

But as long as Linn is capable of making the best streamer in the world with a switching powersupply inside the same enclosure with very noisesensitive electronics, I wouldn't worry to much about what Dan thinks about switching power supplies. It only shows his personal preference, which is fine of course.

There are only 4 reasons one would use a switch mode power supply. Space, efficiency, easy autovolt & that they are ultra cheap to build & implement in today's world. They produce high frequency noise & can also pump hash back into the mains supply that could affect other components drawing from that supply. They are a lot more reliable than they used to be but still give their components a hard life.

I know this is a Linn forum but we should be able to discuss the strengths of components from other high end audio manufacturers without sensitivity from blinkered Linnies. You were happy to pass snarky comments earlier in the thread.

BTW ~ Sony made the decision because it sounded better!

I think the Solo's are very nice amplifiers but they are not for everyone. I for one don't like their rolled off high frequency response.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-14, 23:37
(2017-09-14 22:54)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  I know this is a Linn forum but we should be able to discuss the strengths of components from other high end audio manufacturers without sensitivity from blinkered Linnies. You were happy to pass snarky comments earlier in the thread.

Perhaps if you'd like to continue the discussion of Linn and Sony power supplies you could start your own thread to do so.

Thanks to all for the feedback re D'Agostino and Boulder. I have a Momentum coming in a couple of weeks for audition with my KDSM and will make a decision once I've heard it.

1) SF Amati Futura, Klimax DSM & Twin, Uphorik, Rega P9, Sumiko Pearwood, Shunyata ICs, SCs & PCs
2) Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, AR XA, Sneaky Music DS, Nordost ICs & PCs, Acoustic Zen SCs
2017-09-14, 23:59 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-15 09:26 by Glyn Ruck.)
(2017-09-14 23:37)Antonmb Wrote:  
(2017-09-14 22:54)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  I know this is a Linn forum but we should be able to discuss the strengths of components from other high end audio manufacturers without sensitivity from blinkered Linnies. You were happy to pass snarky comments earlier in the thread.

Perhaps if you'd like to continue the discussion of Linn and Sony power supplies you could start your own thread to do so.

Thanks to all for the feedback re D'Agostino and Boulder. I have a Momentum coming in a couple of weeks for audition with my KDSM and will make a decision once I've heard it.

Nah! I've had my say. Enjoy the audition & let us know how it goes. I think you will enjoy but there is no one right in audio. We are all allowed to have our preferences. If your reference is live music in a good auditorium I think you will love the Momentum.
2017-09-18, 01:19
Smile RE: KDSM with D'Agostino or Boulder amp
Hi Glyn Ruck,
Switch mode power supplies are increasing in hi end audio products, over the last few years Soulution audio of Switzerland has implemented SMPS in all it's audio power amps and received international acclaim and substantial sound quality improvements in doing so.AAVIK has just released it's new mono blocs with SMPS .The power correction factor of smps is also an added attraction .Just like watching the All Blacks agile SWPS defence and attack destroy the Springboks .But aside from my smug pun I like the D'Agostino amps having heard both the mono and stereo momentums plus pre and phono ,this was before the recent update and power increase on these models.Boulder is an awesome product but just not domestically acceptable 1 metre long 300mm high 500mm wide for the 2160 sorry too big for most homes ,It makes one of my amps a Plinius SA250MK4 look like a wimp!!!! I do prefer smaller faster reacting amps ymmv. Enjoy .I'm sure Anton b will enjoy the momentum's but I just wish they didn't look like a rats nest inside with wires going here there and everywhere, thats just one of my pet peeves .Enjoy your Audio Research I did when I had them many years ago but valves (tubes) are an expensive thing to replace every 2000 hours or less so I'm now a solid state fan with many different breeds of amps. Glyn the audio world is changing and us older folks sometimes don't react well to change.
Enjoy your music I'm sure you have a lovely system.
2017-09-18, 04:10 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-18 05:08 by Glyn Ruck.)
(2017-09-18 01:19)russr Wrote:  Hi Glyn Ruck,
Switch mode power supplies are increasing in hi end audio products, over the last few years Soulution audio of Switzerland has implemented SMPS in all it's audio power amps and received international acclaim and substantial sound quality improvements in doing so.AAVIK has just released it's new mono blocs with SMPS .The power correction factor of smps is also an added attraction .Just like watching the All Blacks agile SWPS defence and attack destroy the Springboks .But aside from my smug pun I like the D'Agostino amps having heard both the mono and stereo momentums plus pre and phono ,this was before the recent update and power increase on these models.Boulder is an awesome product but just not domestically acceptable 1 metre long 300mm high 500mm wide for the 2160 sorry too big for most homes ,It makes one of my amps a Plinius SA250MK4 look like a wimp!!!! I do prefer smaller faster reacting amps ymmv. Enjoy .I'm sure Anton b will enjoy the momentum's but I just wish they didn't look like a rats nest inside with wires going here there and everywhere, thats just one of my pet peeves .Enjoy your Audio Research I did when I had them many years ago but valves (tubes) are an expensive thing to replace every 2000 hours or less so I'm now a solid state fan with many different breeds of amps. Glyn the audio world is changing and us older folks sometimes don't react well to change.

Yes I Bi amp a surround array of Maggies with SS on Bass & Tubes on mids & tops with Bryston 10B X Overs & multiple Velodyne servo subs. My brother in law is in the Electronics game. He predicts switch mode power supplies will be in everything ultimately but for all the wrong reasons. If sound improves with SMPS something was very wrong before that. I remain a large toroidal man with modern quick recovery rectifiers & cap banks thanks. Just treated my ARC's to a new set of Winged C 6550's. It is expensive but I don't mind. The rewards are worth it IMHO.

My system is at that place in life where I'm scared to fiddle lest I lose what I have. A nice place to be so I can enjoy the music. To me the equipment is just a means to that end.
2017-09-18, 12:14
Smile RE: KDSM with D'Agostino or Boulder amp
(2017-09-18 04:10)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  

Yes I Bi amp a surround array of Maggies with SS on Bass & Tubes on mids & tops with Bryston 10B X Overs & multiple Velodyne servo subs. My brother in law is in the Electronics game. He predicts switch mode power supplies will be in everything ultimately but for all the wrong reasons. If sound improves with SMPS something was very wrong before that. I remain a large toroidal man with modern quick recovery rectifiers & cap banks thanks. Just treated my ARC's to a new set of Winged C 6550's. It is expensive but I don't mind. The rewards are worth it IMHO.

My system is at that place in life where I'm scared to fiddle lest I lose what I have. A nice place to be so I can enjoy the music. To me the equipment is just a means to that end.

That sounds like a good place to be,I lost most of my audio gear in Feb 2011 we had some huge earthquakes that threw 200 pound loudspeakers 5 metres across my room and on top of my Lumley Ref 250 Valve mono blocs trashed my turntable ,Graham armband a heap of other stuff ,including the house.It took me almost 6 years of fighting the insurance company to reach settlement!I bought my KDS/1 in Aug 2011 and have upgraded it when available the Katalyst has been a big step up.The winged 6550c is a nice valve I had them in my last valve amps.I have Ampzilla monos and stereos Sachem monos V1 and V2 ,Plinius SA250 mk4 stereo, with either B& W 801D or Carver ALS or various Audio Pro speakers.I was quite happy with my previous setup but wanted to try a line source speaker or an electrostatic but became side tracked with the B&W's then the Carver line source ,which I like a lot ,I have a dual subrosa sub setup with them and they took an eternity to run in.I still have a few preamps valve and ss but getting to that happy place has been quite a ride lots of different cables and isolation. But that is what makes the hobby interesting after listening of course.
2017-09-18, 18:01
(2017-09-18 12:14)russr Wrote:  
(2017-09-18 04:10)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  

That sounds like a good place to be,I lost most of my audio gear in Feb 2011 we had some huge earthquakes that threw 200 pound loudspeakers 5 metres across my room and on top of my Lumley Ref 250 Valve mono blocs trashed my turntable ,Graham armband a heap of other stuff ,including the house.It took me almost 6 years of fighting the insurance company to reach settlement!I bought my KDS/1 in Aug 2011 and have upgraded it when available the Katalyst has been a big step up.The winged 6550c is a nice valve I had them in my last valve amps.I have Ampzilla monos and stereos Sachem monos V1 and V2 ,Plinius SA250 mk4 stereo, with either B& W 801D or Carver ALS or various Audio Pro speakers.I was quite happy with my previous setup but wanted to try a line source speaker or an electrostatic but became side tracked with the B&W's then the Carver line source ,which I like a lot ,I have a dual subrosa sub setup with them and they took an eternity to run in.I still have a few preamps valve and ss but getting to that happy place has been quite a ride lots of different cables and isolation. But that is what makes the hobby interesting after listening of course.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Those earthquakes were terrible. I had a global job & lived in Sydney for a long while. In fact I had company apartments in both Sydney & Marin County Bay Area in Cali at the same time. While in Sydney I listened to a number of Plinius amps. They are darn good! Almost tube like.