Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-22, 21:45 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Space Optimisation v / A magician lives in Vancouver BC, Canada and he is called Paulssurround

A magician lives in Vancouver BC, Canada and he is called Paulssurround
2017-09-14, 17:48
RE: A magician lives in Vancouver BC, Canada and he is called Paulssurround
(2017-09-14 17:36)Tin Wrote:  Just to get this thread back to topic, I found a rare picture of mr.Bears house after Paul visited him:
[Image: daily-morning-awesomeness-40-photos-278.jpg]

Very funny Tin. Big Grin

With Mr. Bear's setup, all the cables were routed through the walls and floors, so there was no opportunity to wrap anything in foil.

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-14, 18:21
(2017-09-14 17:48)Paulssurround Wrote:  
(2017-09-14 17:36)Tin Wrote:  Just to get this thread back to topic, I found a rare picture of mr.Bears house after Paul visited him:
[Image: daily-morning-awesomeness-40-photos-278.jpg]

Very funny Tin. Big Grin

With Mr. Bear's setup, all the cables were routed through the walls and floors, so there was no opportunity to wrap anything in foil.
So ... whose house is this then? Poor Stasia!

Tin can telephone system.
2017-09-14, 18:26
(2017-09-14 18:21)Tin Wrote:  
(2017-09-14 17:48)Paulssurround Wrote:  

Very funny Tin. Big Grin

So ... whose house is this then? Poor Stasia!

Not sure whose house it is but put on Mark 5, they should be done in an hour and 15 mins.
2017-09-15, 05:44
Mr. Bear cooked us a great lunch, and it was time to get to work on the stereo in the great room.

Sorry, I did not record the actual measurements of the room or room mode information, but the following is from memory.

This was one very large room, to be filled with music by a pair of 212's and a pair of 345 subwoofers hidden in the cabinets below the 212's.

Out comes the laser measure device, and we added the measurements, one by one, into the Konfig room measurements.

This room is large, very large, with a bank of windows on the left wall that is at least meters long, but the family room opens into the kitchen, which also opens into a formal dining room. The full distance from the front wall to the entrance of the formal dining room was at least 15 -20 meters.

The width of the room was about 10 meters. There were 2 large openings into a hallway, just off the right wall.

I had to guess which distance to use as the length and width of the room, thinking in the back of my mind how far the 212's could project the sound to provide a good listening experience.

We added our values into Konfig and pressed optimize, then played some music.

The 212's were placed on top of the book shelves on either side of the large fireplace. The 212's were flanked by books on both sides, but I decided to toe-in the 212's, to see if that would project a larger sound stage and fill the rooms with music.

While playing some music, I walked around the great room, the kitchen area, and even the kitchen nook to see how the music sounded. It seemed to work well, and music filled the family room nicely, and wasn't too bad in the kitchen and kitchen nook.

But the sound quality seemed harsh when playing some vocals tracks, and a few other indicators pointed to a need for some action.

Time to work some magic in Space optimization.

After playing around with some room modes, playing reference tunes over and over again, and slowly but surely gained some ground.

We found a good balance in sound quality, and felt that it was adequate for the family room.

Mr Bear seemed pleased.

So it was back to the home theatre room, for further refinements in sound quality.

We decided to look more closely at the surround sound quality, and played some movies.

Time to pull out the instructions for the Sim Audio Surround Processor, and see what we could do. I was not happy with the result so far, as I was looking for a more engaging movie experience.

It was getting late, and time to take a break, where we drove to a nearby town for dinner. Lots of chatter about stereos and music, and getting to know each other better throughout dinner. After dinner ThomasOK headed off in a different direction, back to Ann Arbour.

Mr. Bear and I drove back to his home, closed the sound proof metal doors behind us, to the home theatre, and fired up electronics.

Of course, Pink Floyd was with us in the home theatre, to help direct the operations....... Tongue

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
2017-09-15, 09:43 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-15 10:44 by Donald.)
(2017-09-15 05:44)Paulssurround Wrote:  We added our values into Konfig and pressed optimize, then played some music.

How many Room Modes and at what frequencies - you're depriving us of essential data! Big Grin

Just interested to see what SO thinks about such a large room - larger than most us (?) will ever encounter. Smile

Unidisk SC | Majik LP12 | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 3.
Akurate DSM | Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2017-09-15, 16:08 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-15 18:49 by Paulssurround.)
(2017-09-15 09:43)Donald Wrote:  
(2017-09-15 05:44)Paulssurround Wrote:  We added our values into Konfig and pressed optimize, then played some music.

How many Room Modes and at what frequencies - you're depriving us of essential data! Big Grin

Just interested to see what SO thinks about such a large room - larger than most us (?) will ever encounter. Smile

As I mentioned earlier, I did not record Mr Bear's room dimensions or SPACE optimization values, so don't remember the specific details for either room.

I do recall the first custom room mode with the 345 subwoofers was around 16-17 Hz range, the usual added custom filters in the 60 and 70 Hz range, some jiggling around with the calculated room modes and a whole lot of bass tracks to fine tune the system.

Perhaps Mr. Bear can add these?

There was nothing remarkable about the room mode profile for the great room, as I recall, and it looked similar to many calculated room modes in much smaller rooms I have done.

When we were finished, the great room sounded great, and the speakers filled the room. Of course the volume dropped off the farther away from the speakers we were, but still sounded quite good in the kitchen.

Neither of the two rooms I had worked on in Mr. Bear's home had SPACE optimization applied, prior to my visit, but the end result with SPACE was a massive improvement in sound quality.

Getting back to the Home theatre room, it turns out that the volume setting for the centre channel speaker and surround 350A speakers was well below the volume for the front left right speakers.

At first I adjusted the volume up, using the built in sound pressure meter app in my iPhone as a guide. It still did not give us a satisfactory result, even though the levels appeared to be equal on all 5 speakers.

So I manually added extra gain to each of the centre and surround channels, then playing some action scenes from Gladiator and the James Bond movie Skyfall. We also p,aged some multichannel music that I was familiar with, to help set the levels.

Now there were arrows flying past our ears, buckets of flaming oil catapulted past our heads and all sorts of scary war sounds of a battle from Roman times.

The James Bond movie had the signature explosions, gunfire and car scenes, providing a level of realism and engagement that we had been looking for.

I felt that the end result of our efforts paid off, and Mr. Bear seemed pleased. Very pleased. Big Grin

It was getting late, and I had a long drive back to Canada the next morning.

The guest house had been provided with a fridge filled with all sorts of organic foods and snacks, as well as a large assortment of drinks. So I ate my bowl of cereal and then dropped off the suitcase in the rental car.

I took a few snacks and drinks for the 5 hour drive ahead, and then went to the main house at sat in front of the house enjoying the beautiful morning, overlooking the lake.

I received a text from Mr. Bear, he was up and about, and could I join him for coffee.

He invited me to a home cooked breakfast with toast, bacon and eggs. The eggs were from his own chickens, and as fresh as I had ever had. Breakfast was delicious.

Mrs. Bear joined us, along with one of the Bear cubs. We had some great conversation , and then it was time for me to start the long drive to Toronto to pick up Janice, who was visiting a friend of hers, while I was in Michigan.

It was a bit sad to leave, but Mr. and Mrs. Bear had been so generous and accommodating, I felt I had some new friends in Michigan and my mission was accomplished.

The sound quality of the 2 main systems was excellent and I felt great about the end result.

I never did get to work on the other 21 Linn systems in the house,as there was no time.

Mr Bear had given me a tour of the equipment room in the basement, where all the electronics, computer network and power supplies originated from, to power those 21 Linn systems. The rack that held all the electronics must have been more than 10 feet long and 6 feet high. I have never seen such an impressive display of electronics for a home media and music system. So many blinking lights, Linn electronics, computer networking switches, and power conditioning to serve the whole house.

With lots of handshakes and hugs, I climbed into my rental car and headed for the front gate.

My last thoughts as I left the front gate, was "wow". Big Grin

The drive all the way to Toronto was surprisingly low traffic, until I got closer to that city.

Before I got to the border crossing at Port Huron, I was a bit careless with my speed, and was probably 15 mph over the speed limit. It was too late to slow down when I spotted a State Trouper with his radar gun pointing at me so I just kept going at the same speed. I figured if I touched the brake pedal to slow down a bit, the police officer would know I knew I was speeding. By the time I got to his position, he was rushing to his police vehicle for the chase.

I had been passed by a guy who was going at least 30 mph over the speed limit prior to me meeting with the trouper.

From out of no where, the State trouper flew by me at extremely high speed chasing the other driver.

A great sense of relief as I saw that I was not being pulled over, but the other driver was.

I get to the border to cross into Canada, and pull up to the booth of the border security.

I had no time to shop in Michigan, so had nothing to report. I told the officer that I had not even had time to pull out my credit card for shopping, while in Michigan.

He said that he was the bread winner in his home, with 3 young kids and a big mortgage, dental bills for the kids etc., and that he was treated like the family credit card. We both laughed.

He said he was hoping for a pay raise. I wished him luck and having a great day.

Yup, I must be back in Canada. Tongue

Thank you so much Mr. Bear and Mrs. Bear for everything. It was a great adventure and so wonderful to meet you and the family. You have so much to be proud of. Big Grin

After Toronto, it was off to see Eldarboy and Better Music again, for the last 2 days.

Another stellar trip with lots of great memories. Big Grin

Exakt Surround 5.0: