Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-15, 05:40 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Space Optimisation v / Another "What Loudspeaker" Question

Another "What Loudspeaker" Question
2017-09-10, 16:19
Another "What Loudspeaker" Question
Hi, all.

I'm starting to set up SO for the 1st time. My speakers are Tannoy Kensington SEs--listed but not measured. Canterbury SEs are a similar design but larger mid-bass drivers in larger cabinets. Should I choose these? Are there other candidates? Or should I just go with Other?

In case it matters, my room is relatively small (about 280 sq ft, and 7.5 ft high), and it's L-shaaped. The speakers are along the short leg of the L.

Thanks in advance.

LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/EkosSE/sKale/Kandid; DS3 Katalyst; Unidisk 1.1; Klimax Kontrol; Solos; Tannoy Kensington SE/ST200 on Townsend iso stands; Sound Application SA1 power conditioner; Luminous Synchestra Ref ICs; LFD Grainfree Biwire spkr cables w/silver jumpers; Morph power cords
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-10, 16:40
RE: Another "What Loudspeaker" Question
I'm hazarding a bit of a guess, but if the Kensington's are listed they will at least be measured as point sources for SO. I would suggest that would be better than using the Canterbury's fully measured settings (similar can be misleading), and definitely better than the generic "other".

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-10, 20:21
(2017-09-10 16:40)timster Wrote:  I'm hazarding a bit of a guess, but if the Kensington's are listed they will at least be measured as point sources for SO. I would suggest that would be better than using the Canterbury's fully measured settings (similar can be misleading), and definitely better than the generic "other".

Thanks, timster. I don't understand what it means for the Kensingtons to be listed but not measured. I thought it just meant that I could send an email to Linn and ask that they be measured (not holding my breath). is here more to it?

LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/EkosSE/sKale/Kandid; DS3 Katalyst; Unidisk 1.1; Klimax Kontrol; Solos; Tannoy Kensington SE/ST200 on Townsend iso stands; Sound Application SA1 power conditioner; Luminous Synchestra Ref ICs; LFD Grainfree Biwire spkr cables w/silver jumpers; Morph power cords
2017-09-11, 08:14
(2017-09-10 20:21)Chaucer Wrote:  
(2017-09-10 16:40)timster Wrote:  I'm hazarding a bit of a guess, but if the Kensington's are listed they will at least be measured as point sources for SO. I would suggest that would be better than using the Canterbury's fully measured settings (similar can be misleading), and definitely better than the generic "other".

Thanks, timster. I don't understand what it means for the Kensingtons to be listed but not measured. I thought it just meant that I could send an email to Linn and ask that they be measured (not holding my breath). is here more to it?

As far as I know, there are 3 categories of speaker for SO:

Measured - the drive units have been measured for their characteristics (which is an expensive process I believe, needing them to to be taken apart and put in a rig etc.)
I think these are the ones listed on the Linn website's SO compatible speakers page.

Listed (but not measured) - the speaker's drive units have been measured in relation to their relative positions, and probably also the cabinet size and porting method. AKA "point-source" modelling. I think these are only listed in Konfig when you are adding speakers to the profile, rather than the website.

Other - not measured in any way, so generic speaker characteristics are applied to the SO model. I think if you choose this option, Konfig gives you the opportunity to ask them to measure them (which as you say, could be a long process and which of the above they would do is up to them I guess).

Like I said, I don't know for sure if the above is accurate, but that's my understanding.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-15, 14:10
(2017-09-11 08:14)timster Wrote:  
(2017-09-10 20:21)Chaucer Wrote:  

As far as I know, there are 3 categories of speaker for SO:

Measured - the drive units have been measured for their characteristics (which is an expensive process I believe, needing them to to be taken apart and put in a rig etc.)
I think these are the ones listed on the Linn website's SO compatible speakers page.

Listed (but not measured) - the speaker's drive units have been measured in relation to their relative positions, and probably also the cabinet size and porting method. AKA "point-source" modelling. I think these are only listed in Konfig when you are adding speakers to the profile, rather than the website.

Other - not measured in any way, so generic speaker characteristics are applied to the SO model. I think if you choose this option, Konfig gives you the opportunity to ask them to measure them (which as you say, could be a long process and which of the above they would do is up to them I guess).

Like I said, I don't know for sure if the above is accurate, but that's my understanding.

Thanks. That's a good explanation.