Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-23, 01:46 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Krystal torque

Krystal torque
2017-09-11, 10:46
Krystal torque
Hi all,
in a past thread (now closed) the subject of the torque tightening settings for the cartridges was discussed. In summary for the Linn cartridges was said :
  • Klyde, Troika, K18, K9 about 0.6Nm
  • Arkiv, Akiva and Kandid about 1.0Nm

What about Krystal? Which value does Linn recommend?
Thanks for the help.

No man is an island. No man is a sea.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-12, 20:50
RE: Krystal torque
(2017-09-11 10:46)francescopaolo Wrote:  Hi all,
in a past thread (now closed) the subject of the torque tightening settings for the cartridges was discussed. In summary for the Linn cartridges was said :

Thanks for the help.

Actually Linn spec the Arkiv, Akiva and Kandid at .8 to .9Nm, I have found Kandid best at dead nuts .9 and the Akiva better a slight bit higher (maybe plus .05Nm). I have not seen a spec from Linn on Klyde, Troika, etc. but have found it is very close to .4Nm on them and the Krystal. No more that a couple hundredths one way or the other of .4.

LP12SE Movingui • KRadikal • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • KRDS • Lejonklou Sagatun Monos & Tundra Mono 2As • JBL 3677s & 4645C Sub • NOKTable • Harmoni Mimer/Tor Racks
AV: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol • 2 LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • 2 DQ1W

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s since 1978!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-14, 21:36
I have been watching cartridge torquing on here for years while lurking.
It still makes me laugh.Big Grin
How many times does one have to remove a Linn arm from a LP 12 torque the cartridge put it back re-set everything before coming to the correct setting ?
IMO tight is tight without over tightening or breaking anything.
The rest is BS.Tongue
2017-09-15, 08:20 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-15 12:18 by smokestack.)
I'm kind of in the "jury's out" camp with this one.

I do believe that some folks naturally have a good feel for materials & engineering principals whilst other's perhaps don't .

For the latter group, torque settings for cartridges and other fixings are a useful thing and can save a lot of damage and/or under performance.

I'd probably query settings of 0.4 nM for cartridges like the Troika or Krystal.

The old Rega cartridge torque wrench is set to 0.4 and you'd normally wind up a sturdy metal body a bit snugger than that before overstretching anything.

[Though a friend once found it more than enough to shatter a ceramic Ortofon MC2000 ! ]
2017-09-15, 09:42 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-15 09:50 by Glyn Ruck.)
I agree SS. I've always had a soft touch when it comes to tightening fasteners. My Dad however was only happy when things were over-tightened to the degree of frequent breakage. Not a cartridge mounting man. I used to have to go around the house turning on over-tightened taps for my Mum!

If in doubt it's hard to go wrong with Thomas' suggestions.
2017-09-15, 10:26
(2017-09-12 20:50)ThomasOK Wrote:  
(2017-09-11 10:46)francescopaolo Wrote:  Hi all,

Thanks for the help.

Actually Linn spec the Arkiv, Akiva and Kandid at .8 to .9Nm, I have found Kandid best at dead nuts .9 and the Akiva better a slight bit higher (maybe plus .05Nm). I have not seen a spec from Linn on Klyde, Troika, etc. but have found it is very close to .4Nm on them and the Krystal. No more that a couple hundredths one way or the other of .4.

many thanks.
francesco

No man is an island. No man is a sea.
2017-09-15, 12:21 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-15 12:32 by smokestack.)
(2017-09-15 09:42)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  I agree SS. I've always had a soft touch when it comes to tightening fasteners. My Dad however was only happy when things were over-tightened to the degree of frequent breakage. Not a cartridge mounting man. I used to have to go around the house turning on over-tightened taps for my Mum!

If in doubt it's hard to go wrong with Thomas' suggestions.

Quite a few Linn dealers in the early 80s were on the same page as your old dad Glyn.

Correct torque was to "...tighten it 'til it breaks ...and then back off half a turn "

[My dad was the same .
It came from 50 years spent building and repairing railway locomotives the LNER & British Rail !Wink]
2017-09-16, 21:04
FWIW, .05 Nm is .44 inch pounds.

That's .037 ft pounds.

The actual "clamping force" that exists because of tightening fixings varies according to thread geometry, thread surface finish, and state of lube.

In precision machines, the usual approach is to specify the angle through which the fastener is rotated AFTER it's been seated.

This angle is directly tied, without regard to state of lube, to the clamping force.

Aside from this forum, in a lifetime of precision machine design, I've never seen claims of torque specs to two decimal places.

Just listen .... or not
2017-09-16, 23:49 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-17 08:24 by LD100.)
(2017-09-16 21:04)Peer Gynt Wrote:  Aside from this forum, in a lifetime of precision machine design, I've never seen claims of torque specs to two decimal places.

It must be the wave of the future...

I recently bought a battery maintainer for my auto battery and received a "free" digital multi meter because my 50 year old multi meter is apparently not precise enough for the job of testing the voltage off of a 12 volt car battery.

Sadly, I learned my battery is holding at 12.50 volts rather than the 13.10 that is specified for 100% full capacity. Sad

Perhaps Linn could supply a free torque driver to help us all enter this age of precision enlightenment. Wink

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2017-09-17, 12:52
(2017-09-16 23:49)LD100 Wrote:  
(2017-09-16 21:04)Peer Gynt Wrote:  Aside from this forum, in a lifetime of precision machine design, I've never seen claims of torque specs to two decimal places.

It must be the wave of the future...

I recently bought a battery maintainer for my auto battery and received a "free" digital multi meter because my 50 year old multi meter is apparently not precise enough for the job of testing the voltage off of a 12 volt car battery.

Sadly, I learned my battery is holding at 12.50 volts rather than the 13.10 that is specified for 100% full capacity. Sad

Perhaps Linn could supply a free torque driver to help us all enter this age of precision enlightenment. Wink

Would you have thought it in need of attention had it measured 13.05 or 13.15?

We are treated to high levels of precision without regard for their accuracy.

In the case of the cartridge LP12 torques, sample to sample variations make such high precision in torque measurement hard to justify.

I won't argue that you can't torque tune a deck by ear. But the idea that you can write down torque specs for general use to a hundredth of a Newton meter is hard to defend with credibility.