Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-17, 05:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Development v / Qobuz: Genres not shown in Kazoo

Qobuz: Genres not shown in Kazoo
2017-09-11, 21:37 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-11 21:49 by mcgillroy.)
Qobuz: Genres not shown in Kazoo
Kazoo (4.11.240, Mac OS 10 12.6) does not show genres in Qobuz while Lumin does.

Leaves Kazoo pretty unusable for streaming from Qobuz.

Also it would be great to see composer names when streaming from Qobuz. Else classical records are hard to navigate as "song titles" don't make much sense in that genre.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - active Kabers - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-13, 22:40 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-13 22:54 by dikki.)
RE: Qobuz: Genres not shown in Kazoo
+1

< rant on >

There are several things missing in Kazoo for a comfortable experience in listening to classical music. Genre is a small thing in my view, but it would help.

In general, for classical music listeners usually need more information. Though I realise some of this is not on Kazoo, but also on the streaming service itself, better access to the info that is there would go a long way.

Title: Some titles are *really* long. And yes, all that information is needed. In the mobile versions, a scrolling title would be appreciated. Something that scrolls if active, or scrolls after one second. The idea is that all of the title should be visible.

Series of titles: Titles belong to each other. As such, it is helpful if the second movement of a symphony is not called "Marcia funebre: Adagio assai" but "Beethoven - Symphony No. 3 in E-flat major, Op. 55 - part 2 Marcia funebre: Adagio assai" (to name one long title).
If we are getting in detail about the series, with opera gaps between the different songs are unwanted.

Composer: this is a problem that is mostly due to bad info from the streamer. The composer in the example above is Beethoven. The artist however could be "Bernard Haitink / London Symphony Orchestra". However, if the information is available and good, please show it in the interface.

Artist: As stated above, in the example, the artist is not Beethoven. If it were we would all be very surprised about his death defeating capabilities. The artist should be "Bernard Haitink / London Symphony Orchestra".
But there is more to say about this. Take for instance Mahlers Fourth Symphony. Haitink made six recordings of that piece, four with the Koninklijk Concertgebouworkest. So if you are seeing "Haitink / Concertgebouworkest" as the artist, which one is it? You might think his is not important, but Mahlers 4th has a vocal part. In the recording from '67 this was sung by Elly Ameling. In '82 by Maria Ewing, in '83 it was Roberta Alexander. Then in 2006 Christina Shäfer. Different voices altogether, and probably different choices in the performance. So I would like to know which one it is. So add the singer to the artist information!

Searching: Apart from the one field search it should be possible to search using a more detailed search order. I don't want the music of the film Beethoven through my search for Beethoven's Symphony 3. Also, try to find a specific recording of a specific work. Chances are you can't find it, but if you take an extra day you will. This is also because it seems that the top results for my search are not the ones that are closest in literal wording, but are the ones that are most popular. Commercially maybe nice, but again, as a marginal group of listeners, you are put at a disadvantage.

All of this and more, is also written in an extensive article on the subject, which can be found on http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/20...usic-right. This goes in more detail about the problems of classical music lovers with streaming media.

Is this a sentiment that is shared by jazz lovers as well? Don't they also have different performances of the same song? How is that?

LP12・Ekos・Adikt・Lingo・Ikemi・Majik DSM・LK Aktiv system・Keilidhs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-14, 06:24
I understand your rant, but most of what you ask for is outside of Linns reach, so they're not going to fix that. If you are streaming locally, the long title names are your responsibility, and for internet streaming services they're the responsibility of the service.
As for the scrolling titles, that is something that Linn could work on, maybe make that a configurable option? Kazoo doesn't have much, any actually, configuration and that means it can't make anyone happy, but maybe they don't want too. As a basic control point it works.

Tin can telephone system.
2017-09-14, 09:19
(2017-09-13 22:40)dikki Wrote:  +1

< rant on >

There are several things missing in Kazoo for a comfortable experience in listening to classical music. Genre is a small thing in my view, but it would help.

In general, for classical music listeners usually need more information. Though I realise some of this is not on Kazoo, but also on the streaming service itself, better access to the info that is there would go a long way.

Title: Some titles are *really* long. And yes, all that information is needed. In the mobile versions, a scrolling title would be appreciated. Something that scrolls if active, or scrolls after one second. The idea is that all of the title should be visible.

Series of titles: Titles belong to each other. As such, it is helpful if the second movement of a symphony is not called "Marcia funebre: Adagio assai" but "Beethoven - Symphony No. 3 in E-flat major, Op. 55 - part 2 Marcia funebre: Adagio assai" (to name one long title).
If we are getting in detail about the series, with opera gaps between the different songs are unwanted.

Composer: this is a problem that is mostly due to bad info from the streamer. The composer in the example above is Beethoven. The artist however could be "Bernard Haitink / London Symphony Orchestra". However, if the information is available and good, please show it in the interface.

Artist: As stated above, in the example, the artist is not Beethoven. If it were we would all be very surprised about his death defeating capabilities. The artist should be "Bernard Haitink / London Symphony Orchestra".
But there is more to say about this. Take for instance Mahlers Fourth Symphony. Haitink made six recordings of that piece, four with the Koninklijk Concertgebouworkest. So if you are seeing "Haitink / Concertgebouworkest" as the artist, which one is it? You might think his is not important, but Mahlers 4th has a vocal part. In the recording from '67 this was sung by Elly Ameling. In '82 by Maria Ewing, in '83 it was Roberta Alexander. Then in 2006 Christina Shäfer. Different voices altogether, and probably different choices in the performance. So I would like to know which one it is. So add the singer to the artist information!

Searching: Apart from the one field search it should be possible to search using a more detailed search order. I don't want the music of the film Beethoven through my search for Beethoven's Symphony 3. Also, try to find a specific recording of a specific work. Chances are you can't find it, but if you take an extra day you will. This is also because it seems that the top results for my search are not the ones that are closest in literal wording, but are the ones that are most popular. Commercially maybe nice, but again, as a marginal group of listeners, you are put at a disadvantage.

All of this and more, is also written in an extensive article on the subject, which can be found on http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/20...usic-right. This goes in more detail about the problems of classical music lovers with streaming media.

Is this a sentiment that is shared by jazz lovers as well? Don't they also have different performances of the same song? How is that?

I am 100% with you on this but as Tin said its mostly outside of the control of Linn.

Scrolling Songtitels would be great though! Also Linn should check of the Qobuz API provides the composers name and enable toggling that or make it default for classical genres.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - active Kabers - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime.
2017-09-16, 12:42 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-16 12:46 by dikki.)
I agree with you on the fact that not everything on my list of wishes is Linn's responsibility, or can be suitable solved in Kazoo. However, it would be nice if future development can have these issues in mind.

If streaming music is the future, why not make that future available to everyone, instead of catering only to the biggest market? As a quality brand, I would expect Linn to have an eye out to everyone.

O, and now that I'm thinking about it, another example of something that can easily be implemented in Kazoo, without any dependancy on the streaming service:

In Spotify (no, don't stop reading!!) it is possible to tick the picture of the album and see it. This is very useful for classical music, if the information is not available in the title. However, in Kazoo this is only possible for the songs in your list of items to play. So I would say: make it possible to use that zoom-in function for search results.

LP12・Ekos・Adikt・Lingo・Ikemi・Majik DSM・LK Aktiv system・Keilidhs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-16, 14:18
I concur with the Kazoo / Quobuz criticism. Lumin works really well w Quobuz, not only does it give me gengres, it gives you a small 'hires' tag on the album covers when browsing. Very useful for Sublime+ subscribers.

Apple Power Mac G5 Server - Chord - AEDSM - Chord - AExaktbox10 - Linn Silvers - 4200 / 2x 3100 (5100 w 2 channels removed) - K400 / K600 crimped bananas - 242s Solid Stands
- Exaktbox Sub- Linn Silvers - 2x221 Sub
LP12 w Linn stuff & SmokeD LiD