Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-19, 21:11 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Space Optimisation v / Musicality In Montana!!!

Musicality In Montana!!!
2017-09-13, 16:51 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-15 06:24 by Paulssurround.)
Musicality In Montana!!!
Having just arrived back from Niagara Falls and Michigan last Tuesday, I was back on aother plane to Montana, just 30 hours later.

I had no idea how wonderful this trip to Montana would become, and experienced true western hospitality. JJChristopher was the penultimate host, and showed me the best that Montana and Wyoming had to offer.

Did I say Wyoming? Big Grin

I had a very kind invitation to visit 4 Linn owners in Bozeman, Montana, and do SPACE optimization.

The plan was that I would work some magic on 2 of JCChristopher's Linn systems, Stasia's 109's Linn system, Natalie's Killer Keltik's, and Dennis's 109's with a subwoofer.

I was armed with my reference music tracks, my trusted iPhone, and a carry on suitcase with clothes for an outdoor adventure that would include canoeing, hot tubbing, and one very long drive in a convertible, at very high speed. Montana has a speed limit of 80 mph, but I may have exceeded that by just a wee bit. Tongue

This is Big Sky country, and the scenery should be spectacular. However, as I am flying over the Rocky Mountains to Bozeman, the forest fire haze is quite prominent. When I landed, Bozeman was also covered in forest fire haze, so we could not even see the mountains that surround the town of Bozeman.

I landed around supper time, and we went straight to a restaurant for dinner. Montana is famous for it's beef and bison, so I was thinking I might try some of that, but it turns out that John is vegetarian. Big Grin

It was an excellent meal, and then it was time to settle into his beautiful home and listen to some music.

You may remember, that I had tried to help John with his SPACE optimization a couple of months ago, from Vancouver, by using Team Viewer, while listening to reference tunes, and having John describe what he was hearing. I would then advice him to the best of my ability to make adjustments to certain room modes.

It was my opportunity now to hear what that sounded like in his home. Not bad, but There was room for improvement. It was going to take a bit of work to fine tune the system.

John's Linn system is a pair of 212's with a Sizmik sub, driven by a Klimax DS directly into a Klimax Twin.

This is an L shaped room that has the kitchen behind the listening position, and a long hallway off to the left, behind me.

I followed my usual procedure of starting with the lowest frequency calculated room mode, and working my way up, using the reference tunes I had burned into my brain.

John's home is decorated with memorabilia from all over the world, and as we talked I discovered that he has done all the things I wanted to do, on my spiritual quest. He has travelled and lived in Bali, India, Nepal, Butan, and so on. He has met gurus, shaman's, spiritual healers and even regular guys like me. Tongue

John has a calmness and peacefulness that makes it so easy to feel comfortable with him. His years of travelling the world have provide him with great insight into life, the universe and everything, and it shows in every fibre of his being. Big Grin

What about his stereo?

He has 3 separate Linn systems in his home.

But more on that later.....

Exakt Surround 5.0:
AEDSM, Exakt Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-13, 17:30
RE: Musicality In Montana!!!
You shouldn't be jealous at John; he hasn't met me while you have. If you want I can sell you exclusive rights on that experience. That is until John makes a better offer of course. Big Grin

Tin can telephone system.
2017-09-13, 18:43
(2017-09-13 17:30)Tin Wrote:  You shouldn't be jealous at John; he hasn't met me while you have. If you want I can sell you exclusive rights on that experience. That is until John makes a better offer of course. Big Grin

Well Tin,

You are an awesome dude as well. Big Grin

I had a most excellent visit with you last November in Holland and Germany

Exakt Surround 5.0:
AEDSM, Exakt Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
2017-09-13, 19:12
Flattery won't get you nowhere mr. Surround, bribes will only be accepted in cash. Wink

Did you have to visit Wyoming too because there aren't enough people in Montana?

2017-09-13, 20:34
(2017-09-13 19:12)Tin Wrote:  Flattery won't get you nowhere mr. Surround, bribes will only be accepted in cash. Wink

Did you have to visit Wyoming too because there aren't enough people in Montana?

Stay tuned for the next instalment Tongue

Exakt Surround 5.0:
2017-09-14, 03:26
It was such a lovely treat to have Paul come and visit us. For years I've been discouraged by the sound I was getting out of my system. No more!!!
I'm still in shock and how good my stereo now sounds. Better in every way and I can listen comfortably at least 10 notches higher. And then Paul worked his magic with my bedroom Sneaky/Tukan stereo.

Three of my friends recently wanted to get into better quality sound so I helped them buy used Linn gear. But I could also tell their systems didn't sound fantastic even with Space Optimization set up. Paul was tireless, worked his wizardry, and now everyone is ecstatic. And I'm sleeping better knowing they have fantastic sound. Aural orgasms a plenty.

I am so grateful to Paul for his generosity, graciousness, and his skills. And he was a wonderful guest. And a very strong canoeist to boot!
Linn should hire Paul full-time to improve customer satisfaction!!Tongue

Klimax DS/1, Klimax Twin, Akkurate 212s, Sizmik, Sneaky DS & Tukans (bedroom), Sneaky DS & AVI Neutrons (office)
2017-09-14, 04:59
"Montana has a speed limit of 80 mph"
Really? I thought all the US was 55mph (or less).

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-14, 06:10
(2017-09-14 04:59)timster Wrote:  "Montana has a speed limit of 80 mph"
It differs per state, but 80 is the maximum of all states: at 88mph they'd travel back in time, so that's not allowed anymore.

2017-09-14, 06:17
Montana's speed limit in the 90's was "Reasonable and Prudent" and if you got pulled over for going too fast it was a $5 fine for wasting gas. Too many out of staters apparently had accidents pushing the limits, so a 75 MPH speed limit was introduced. And now its been bumped up to 80 Cool

Klimax DS/1, Klimax Twin, Akkurate 212s, Sizmik, Sneaky DS & Tukans (bedroom), Sneaky DS & AVI Neutrons (office)
2017-09-14, 06:28
(2017-09-14 03:26)jcchristopher Wrote:  It was such a lovely treat to have Paul come and visit us. For years I've been discouraged by the sound I was getting out of my system. No more!!!
I'm still in shock and how good my stereo now sounds. Better in every way and I can listen comfortably at least 10 notches higher. And then Paul worked his magic with my bedroom Sneaky/Tukan stereo.

Three of my friends recently wanted to get into better quality sound so I helped them buy used Linn gear. But I could also tell their systems didn't sound fantastic even with Space Optimization set up. Paul was tireless, worked his wizardry, and now everyone is ecstatic. And I'm sleeping better knowing they have fantastic sound. Aural orgasms a plenty.

I am so grateful to Paul for his generosity, graciousness, and his skills. And he was a wonderful guest. And a very strong canoeist to boot!
Linn should hire Paul full-time to improve customer satisfaction!!Tongue

Thank you John, for you and the Linn gang inviting me to Montana.

I had an excellent visit, and your hospitality and generosity were exceptional.

I enjoyed visiting your friends and fellow Linnies, and was surprised and shocked with the end result. They must have exceptionally clean electrons in the Montana power supply.

I still have a big smile on my face when I think about the wonderfulness of it all.

(2017-09-14 04:59)timster Wrote:  "Montana has a speed limit of 80 mph"

Yes it is true.

The Interstates in Montana are up to 80 mph.

The 55 mph limit was imposed a long time ago, I think after the oil crisis decades ago. However, that was also rescinded a long time ago as far as I know.

John's main stereo is a pair of 212's driven by a Klimax Twin and Klimax DS, with a Sizmik sub. Sound quality was very good, but it was missing its boogy, and the detail I was used to in my reference tracks. Bass

There was no tricks or magic, just working through the calculated room modes, listening, moving frequencies, gains and bandwidth and more listening.

I introduced some new custom room modes, into SPACE optimization, and it sounded quite acceptable to me.

John and I listened in wonderment and I could not resist the next mad idea.

Out came the aluminum foil, as per my request, and the wrapping process began. We covered the Ethernet cables behind the stereo rack, and selective wrapping of the power cords and speaker wires near the other cables.

Listening again was a revelation, and we were shocked at the improvement.

I did notice that the 212's still had their bungs installed in the back port. I decided to remove the bungs to see if that made any difference, and heard an improvement in detail, and the soundstage improved.

All of this added up to many incremental improvements, working through this process, that added up to an overall significant improvement in sound quality.

We were very pleased with the result.

But it was time to get ready for the next day, which would see a visit to 3 separate Linn systems in 3 different homes......

Exakt Surround 5.0: