Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 02:01 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Space Optimisation v / Musicality In Montana!!!

Musicality In Montana!!!
2017-09-14, 06:28
RE: Musicality In Montana!!!
(2017-09-14 06:17)jcchristopher Wrote:  Montana's speed limit in the 90's was "Reasonable and Prudent" and if you got pulled over for going too fast it was a $5 fine for wasting gas. Too many out of staters apparently had accidents pushing the limits, so a 75 MPH speed limit was introduced. And now its been bumped up to 80 Cool

So when Top Gear went over there a few years ago and they were stuck at 40/55 in their fast cars - they should've gone to Montana.

I don't often like the fact that what happens in the US eventually makes it's way over here. But in this case.. bring it on. At least on the motorways. 70 is too slow, most people go 80 anyway (not me though. oh o-no, never ever).

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-14, 07:09
(2017-09-14 06:28)timster Wrote:  
(2017-09-14 06:17)jcchristopher Wrote:  Montana's speed limit in the 90's was "Reasonable and Prudent" and if you got pulled over for going too fast it was a $5 fine for wasting gas. Too many out of staters apparently had accidents pushing the limits, so a 75 MPH speed limit was introduced. And now its been bumped up to 80 Cool

So when Top Gear went over there a few years ago and they were stuck at 40/55 in their fast cars - they should've gone to Montana.

I don't often like the fact that what happens in the US eventually makes it's way over here. But in this case.. bring it on. At least on the motorways. 70 is too slow, most people go 80 anyway (not me though. oh o-no, never ever).
Typical.

You can drive faster than 70mph in all European countries, and the average speed limit is above 80mph and yet you look at the US for guidance.

The only reason Paulssurround felt comfortable with driving faster than 80 is because his European hosts introduced him to more interesting speeds.
My car won't go faster than 230km/h, 140mph for the metrically challenged, so I wasn't even close to being the fastest one, but I like to think I helped a bit too.

Tin can telephone system.
Find all posts by this user
2017-09-14, 07:51 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-14 07:51 by timster.)
(2017-09-14 07:09)Tin Wrote:  
(2017-09-14 06:28)timster Wrote:  

Typical.

You can drive faster than 70mph in all European countries, and the average speed limit is above 80mph and yet you look at the US for guidance.

The only reason Paulssurround felt comfortable with driving faster than 80 is because his European hosts introduced him to more interesting speeds.
My car won't go faster than 230km/h, 140mph for the metrically challenged, so I wasn't even close to being the fastest one, but I like to think I helped a bit too.

Oh no, not guidance. Nopey nope no. I am a firm EU remainer as you well know!
But if even they (being the US) can go 80mph, then we most certainly should. Most of Europe is I think 130kph?

Way off topic. Better leave it there.

Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
Rega RP1, [DS214play +Jitterbug, MinimServer], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 652(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-15, 06:57 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-15 15:01 by Paulssurround.)
Day 2 in Montana

After a good sleep, I looked out the window, and could see that Bozeman still had forest fire haze. Time to clean up and get ready for the day.

3 Linn systems to look at today, so it was time for a bit of meditation, and then John offered to lead a session of Qi Gong and then a jump into the hot tub.

After some breakfast, my usual Cheerios and soy milk, it was time to take the long commute to the first Linn system to look at SPACE.

The Tukans and the Sneaky DS

The first system of the day was a pair of Tukans and a Sneaky DS in John's master bedroom, upstairs. Tongue

Playing a variety of reference tracks, listening and tuning. We were shocked and awed by the output of these seemingly small speakers, that did not know that they were a pair of 350's.

Sound quality was surprisingly excellent, and I had to keep looking at the speakers, not believing they could sound so good, and so large, coming from a small speaker cabinet. I have even more respect for Linn's legacy speakers. The Tukans really rock!!!

With John's girlfriend flying to Bozeman this week, it was essential to get the bedroom system sounding their best. Wink

Natalie's Killer Keltiks

We got ready to visit one of John's dear friends, Natalie, who had purchased his old Linn system. She had invited us over for lunch, as well as doing SPACE optimization on the Killer Keltik system, driven by a raft of Klouts, an Akurate DS and an Akurate Kontrol.

Natalie had her Killer Keltiks about 9-10 feet apart, facing the width of the room. I toed them in significantly. In fact they were toed-in more than any other speaker I have done yet.

It was the only way to get a decent centre image for that set-up.

The room settings were premeasured prior to my visit, and I did not change them, even with the toe-in. The listening room was quite large, and was L-shaped, branching off into the kitchen.

There was a large set of windows behind the speakers, that spanned all the way from the left speaker to the right speaker.

When finished, the imaging in the room was quite excellent, and filled the whole main floor of the house with music.

Finster's listening room is about 14-15 feet wide, by 25 feet long, with the Killer Keltiks firing down the length of the room. As it is a rectangular room, with no other anomalies, I would do far less toe-in.

With my experience of now completing 57 SPACE optimizations in different Linn systems, toe-in does not result in a change the room distance and speaker placement measurement settings entered into Konfig.

We spent several hours playing with SPACE, speaker placement and toe-in , and rearranging the spaghetti of cables behind the cabinet. Yes, there was aluminum foil on involved, but no small pets were harmed in this process Tongue

Optimization went well, and then it was time to play some music.

Sound quality was excellent and Natalie was invited to play some of her favourite music loud, very loud!!!

The look on her face said it all. I do believe she was pleased with the transformation in sound quality.

Stasia's 109's, But No Sub

This evening we were scheduled to meet with Stasia, and she was planning on cooking a vegetarian dinner for us.

That evening, I finally got to meet the beautiful and brilliant Stasia.

Stasia is a bicycle enthusiast and regularly does century rides!!! A century ride in Canada would be 100 km.

She had ordered a new BK sub for her 109's driven by a Majik DSi.

Unfortunately, the sub had not arrived at her home by the time I arrived, last Thursday, nor before I left there Monday afternoon.

However, we spent an evening enjoying Stasia's wonderful dinner, while John and I played around with setting up her stereo, with SPACE optimization.

Stasia's Linn system is in the living room that is approximately 12-14 feet wide, by about 30 feet long, with an open concept kitchen-living space. This is basically a rectangular room, with the speakers are firing across the width of the room, in a cozy listening area, but with a glass fronted fireplace, to the right of the right speaker. The 109's are placed close to the wall about 5 feet apart.

When I arrived, we played some music, to listen to what it sounded like, and overall, it was a good presentation streaming music from Radio Paradise.

John was our go-to guy for all things networking and streaming, and we were able to load up all my reference tunes for a spin through Stasia's Linn system.

I got to work with SPACE optimization after dinner, and started changing the values for the calculated room modes, while adding some new custom filters.

Stasia, had calculated room modes at 37.62, 44.54, 59.84, 62.70, 75.24 and 78.09.

I settled on a custom room mode at 28.54 Hz with a gain of -10.06 dB, and a bandwidth of 0.014427.

I changed the calculated room mode at 62.70, to 63.5 Hz, and the gain from -21.48 to -8.48 after some listening.

Calculated room mode 5 at 75.24 was changed to 74.3 Hz, but I forgot to write down her gain setting. I think it was in the -7.00 -8.00 dB range.

I eliminated the calculated room mode at 59.84 by setting the gain to 0.00, and then we did more listening. I learned about this tweak from Timster, so I now call it the Timster Tweak. Tongue

I do believe the end result was impressive, even without the sub, and those 109's were singing a new tune like I had never heard them before. Big Grin

The look on Stasia's face said it all. It was one of astonishment and wonder.

It was a great pleasure to meet Stasia, on Friday night, and I had the opportunity to visit with her again on Sunday for dinner.

However, it was getting late and time to go home.

It was a beautiful night outside, I had the convertible top down, with warm air blowing through my hair, as the stars were out and the moon was looking magnificent. The hot tub was waiting.

Tomorrow was a big day ahead, of sightseeing in Montana and Wyoming.....

Exakt Surround 5.0:
AEDSM, Exakt Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-09-15, 07:19
The Intrepid Paulsurround Smile, canoeing, hot tubbing etc.......

You sound like you have had a great time in Montanna. When you get time you will have to update your tips on SO, I'm itching to get my system back up and running. Getting close now the renovations are coming to an endRolleyes that's another story.

Avalon

Akurate Exakt DSM, Akurate Exaktbox 10, two Akurate 4200 power amps, klimax chakra twin(Dk), Akubarik High Gloss Rosewood speakers,nordost Tyr, ipad 2 & KazooServer Minimserver and Asset server running on a Qnap 251, backed up to remote Qnap 231. Sonos for multiroom. SPACED OUT
2017-09-15, 09:11
Fantastic paul
So glad you are having a blast you deserve it

Exakt 5.1
Klimax Exakt 350 Katalyst Melco N1Z anniversary Melodik sub Akurate 225 centre Akurate 4200 Akurate Exactbox 6 Akudorik Exakt Oppo UDP-205
2017-09-15, 09:57
Quote:Yes, there was aluminum foil on involved, but no small pets were harmed in this process
So that's an eufinism that her room Elephant died? Now Stasias guests have nothing left to discuss!

2017-09-15, 14:57
(2017-09-15 07:19)avalon Wrote:  The Intrepid Paulsurround Smile, canoeing, hot tubbing etc.......

You sound like you have had a great time in Montanna. When you get time you will have to update your tips on SO, I'm itching to get my system back up and running. Getting close now the renovations are coming to an endRolleyes that's another story.

Avalon

Montana was an awesome trip, full of adventure, sightseeing, music, and making new friends.

John's hospitality was stellar.

I have such great memories of the trip, but there is more to the story coming....

Perhaps you could explain how I ended up in San Francisco on this trip? I can't.

Dennis's cat was lost for 5 weeks prior to my visit, and then showed up just the day before we arrived at his door.

That I drove much of the estimated 5-6 hundred miles of the trip to Yellowstone with the top down on John's convertible, and we were not attacked by any flying fruit bats, eagles, hawks or bison. Yes, bison. Tongue

(2017-09-15 09:11)nrwatson Wrote:  Fantastic paul
So glad you are having a blast you deserve it

Thank you nrwatson.

There are pictures coming of the road trip....

(2017-09-15 09:57)Tin Wrote:  
Quote:Yes, there was aluminum foil on involved, but no small pets were harmed in this process
So that's an eufinism that her room Elephant died? Now Stasias guests have nothing left to discuss!

I didn't want to mention that, but now you have opened that can of worms. Big Grin

Exakt Surround 5.0:
AEDSM, Exakt Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
2017-09-15, 15:13
(2017-09-15 14:57)Paulssurround Wrote:  
I didn't want to mention that, but now you have opened that can of worms. Big Grin
Well obviously.

It is quite difficult to incorporate an elephant in a vegetarian meal without making some compromises, it it was up to the worms to clean up the mess.

What are the odds that an elephant is killed during a vegetarian meal in Montana anyway?

2017-09-15, 16:11
(2017-09-15 15:13)Tin Wrote:  
(2017-09-15 14:57)Paulssurround Wrote:  
Well obviously.

It is quite difficult to incorporate an elephant in a vegetarian meal without making some compromises, it it was up to the worms to clean up the mess.

What are the odds that an elephant is killed during a vegetarian meal in Montana anyway?

I imagine about the same as being attacked with the convertible roof down by fruit bats? Tongue

The trip to Yellowstone, the great canoe trip and Dennis's system coming.....

Exakt Surround 5.0: