Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-15, 05:40 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Space Optimisation v / Musicality In Montana!!!

Musicality In Montana!!!
2017-09-15, 17:26
RE: Musicality In Montana!!!
Montana is known for it's Big Sky, and it did not disappoint.

I woke up to a beautiful day, and the forest fire haze was completely gone.

John was packing some light snacks and some drinks for the long drive ahead, while I ate some breakfast and got ready. No time for the hot tub, that would have to wait until the evening, if we survived the road trip? Tongue

Time for some Qi Gong, and then off on the road.

The sun was shining, and I knew it would be hot, but we decided to plaster on the sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses, and keep the convertible roof down.

When it was time to leave, John tossed me the keys to drive, and we were on our way. Scenery on the way to Yellowstone was stunning, as we traverse through valleys, mountains, rivers and many small towns along the way.

And then it appeared, the entrance to Yellowstone!!!

In my younger days, I had been through a part of Yellowstone, on the way to Jackson Hole, Wyoming for a ski trip. It was -30C at the time, and Yellowstone was covered in snow. With 50 university students on the bus, we couldn't see out the windows, even if we wanted to, as everything was frosted over.

Today was plus 30C and sunny, with crystal clear visibility.

First stop was some hot springs, that looked like this:

Some other pictures along the way that were breathtaking views:

Where the buffalo roam:

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-15, 17:36 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-17 15:11 by Paulssurround.)
After a long drive, we arrived at the famous Old Faithful Geyser, prior to it erupting:

Then on to this incredible hot springs with unique thermophilic bacteria that give the water it's colourful glow:

We spent a full day in the park, and then made the long trek home, via the northwest gate and through the ski resort area known as Big Sky.

It was getting towards darkness, by the time we arrived at Big Sky, but drove through very long narrow canyon with countless hairpin turns, all the way back to Bozeman.

A stellar day indeed.

We had Stasia's dinner from the left overs when we visited her home, and ate like kings.

Time for a jump into the hot tub, and then call it a night.

Tomorrow was the visit with Dennis, and his 109-Magik DSi combo, with an REL T2 subwoofer.

And then there was that canoe trip we planned....

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
2017-09-17, 17:38
I woke up in the morning to anaother beautiful sunny day. There was no forest fire haze, and it was already quite warm out.

We had a big day planned ahead, with a visit to Dennis's 109's with a Majik DSi and REL T2 sub. Then there was a canoe trip planned for paddling down the Gallatin river all the way to the Missouri river.

I check my iPhone for messages, and I have a curious message from Alaska airlines, which owns Horizon airlines, the airline I flew to Bozeman on.

The message went something like this. 'Your flight is cancelled tomorrow, but we rebooked you for Tuesday at 7:30 am"

Curious indeed. I wondered if this was a common practise for Horizon airlines, and indeed it is. A search of the Internet pulled up an article from the Seattle Times, that said that Horizon air does not have enough pilots, because they use turboprop planes with propellers, and not jets, and therefore flights are frequently cancelled. Pilots don't want to fly planes with propellers, they want their hours on jets, so they can fly the bigger planes. Another day in Montana would not be a bad thing, but John has to work and I should get back to Vancouver on Monday. I'll have to sort it out later.

After a session of Qi Gong and breakfast, we load up the SUV with the canoe and all the canoeing gear, and head off to Dennis's home in the country. I am in hot pursuit in the convertible, behind John, who apparently likes to drive even faster with a canoe on the roof, than without. Tongue

I am driving an Audi TT turbo S, all wheel drive convertible, and I am pushing to keep up. The scenery out to Dennis's was spectacular, with the farmer's fields a surreal colour of golden yellow, the convertible top was down, the hot wind blowing and the sun beating down. Bozeman is surrounded by beautiful mountains, and it was looking it's best.

We pull up to Dennis's home and are warmly greeted. I could tell, I am going to like him right away, and his dog and cat were just as friendly.

Dennis had built his own house, and it turns out his career is as a carpenter. Beautiful craftsmanship, and so many wonderful rustic touchs. I look about the living room and there are the 109's perched on a pair of shelves, on each side of the front wall. The REL T2 subwoofer was on the floor, below the left speaker. There is an old style looking wood burning fireplace on the right side of the room, with a metal chimney that exits the ceiling.

Time to get to work. The room had been premeasured for Konfig and the values previously entered.

The calculated room modes were at 33.33, 37.64, 48.97, 62.86, 70.49, 73.09, and 77.14 Hz.

Let's listen to some music to warm up the stereo, and it seems Grateful Dead was the music of choice. John had loaded up my reference tunes and I began to work through my tracks to get a better idea of what I was dealing with for sound quality. We turned up the volume up, way up!!! Sound quality was lathargic and uninspired.

I moved calculated room mode 1 gain from -30.82 to -31.82 dB

After starting at a custom room mode of 28.54 Hz and working my way down, I settled on a custom room mode 1 at 22.45 Hz with a gain of -12.34 dB and bandwidth of 0.014427.

The calculated room modes at 62.86 and 73.09 Hz were set to zero gain

Custom room mode 2 was at 63.5 Hz, -6.58 dB and bandwidth of 0.015764

Custom room mode 3 was at 74.5 Hz, -6.18 dB, and 0.024688.

It all sounded quite good, but a wee bit bloated on the bass. I reach in behind the REL subwoofer and turn down the gain slightly. Like magic, everything fell into place.

I would say we got a great result, and the look on Dennis's and John's face was staggered in disbelief at what the 109's could do. Grateful Dead was qued up and the volume set even louder. Job done!!!

My thought's went to Stacia's 109's, and what her system will be like when her new BK Sub arrives?

Time to get on the phone to Alaska airlines and sort out my plane ticket. It turns out I will be booked back to Vancouver on United airlines via San Francisco with a window seat and extra legroom on Monday, about the same time I would have left on my previously booked flight. Yes, San Francisco. I did not see that one coming, but it was all good.

It was time to say good bye to Dennis, and off we drove at high speed to the Gallatin river for a canoe adventure.

We dropped the canoe near a bridge, then high tailed it to the Missouri River boat launch, at least 12 miles away down the river. We left the Audi SUV at the Missouri River boat launch, and I drove us back to the canoe.

The Gallatin river is not a big or wide river and it is not that deep, but it is scenic and it has countless rapids to ride. Water flow is good and if we wanted, could drift down the river without too much paddling, if we felt tired. I did not take any pictures as I did not want to lose my iPhone or get it wet.

John has a ritual, where he starts his canoe trips, by jumping in the river to get wet and swim around for a bit. Apparently it is now my new ritual. Tongue

Paddling 12 miles or so, is a lot more work than I remembered, and over the next 4 hours watched as a very beautiful landscape unfolded. There were eagles, herons, ravens, and even an elks calling Very close to us. There were other boaters in their rafts powered by oars.

I had been a Boy Scout in my teen years and had paddled a canoe countless times in lakes of the Canadian Shield. Portaging from lake to lake, honing my skills for the day I would ultimately paddle the mighty Gallatin. Rolleyes

As the navigator at the front of the canoe, it was my job to figure out which tributary to paddle, as the Gallatin branched off into several sections at times. I looked for the branch that had the faster flowing water, and then took a chance it was the right choice.

John's experience paddling has been mostly on rivers, and mine has been mostly on lakes, which requires a different approach. Lakes tend to be windy and often encounter days with lots of waves.

I paddled like one of the voyageurs of olden times, searching the north west for fur trading. Tongue

The Gallatin has lots of rapids and the current carried us along. I showed John my paddling technique for lakes, and he skillfully steered us through the tricky sections of rapids and shallow waters where the canoe would scrape the bottom at times.

John would ask to stop the canoe on occasion, to jump into the water and swim for a while to cool off. On occasion, I would also jump in, and with the hot sun, would dry off very quickly.

We finally reached the Missouri river, and the current was far more than the Gallatin, but fortunately only had to paddle a short distance.

We loaded up the canoe, exhausted and hungry, and drove back to get the convertible.

A quick phone call to Stasia, and as luck would have it, she could join us for pizza at a great place she recommended that did wood burning oven pizza. It was a beautiful evening on the outdoor patio, with great conversation, and then time to head home.

I just had enough strength to jump into the hot tub, and look at the moon and stars...

Big day ahead tomorrow......

Exakt Surround 5.0:
2017-09-17, 19:10
This retirement thing sounds great
Glad you are having a great time[/b]
[b]
(2017-09-17 17:38)Paulssurround Wrote:  I woke up in the morning to anaother beautiful sunny day. There was no forest fire haze, and it was already quite warm out.

We had a big day planned ahead, with a visit to Dennis's 109's with a Majik DSi and REL T2 sub. Then there was a canoe trip planned for paddling down the Gallatin river all the way to the Missouri river.

I check my iPhone for messages, and I have a curious message from Alaska airlines, which owns Horizon airlines, the airline I flew to Bozeman on.

The message went something like this. 'Your flight is cancelled tomorrow, but we rebooked you for Tuesday at 7:30 am"

Curious indeed. I wondered if this was a common practise for Horizon airlines, and indeed it is. A search of the Internet pulled up an article from the Seattle Times, that said that Horizon air does not have enough pilots, because they use turboprop planes with propellers, and not jets, and therefore flights are frequently cancelled. Pilots don't want to fly planes with propellers, they want their hours on jets, so they can fly the bigger planes. Another day in Montana would not be a bad thing, but John has to work and I should get back to Vancouver on Monday. I'll have to sort it out later.

After a session of Qi Gong and breakfast, we load up the SUV with the canoe and all the canoeing gear, and head off to Dennis's home in the country. I am in hot pursuit in the convertible, behind John, who apparently likes to drive even faster with a canoe on the roof, than without. Tongue

I am driving an Audi TT turbo S, all wheel drive convertible, and I am pushing to keep up. The scenery out to Dennis's was spectacular, with the farmer's fields a surreal colour of golden yellow, the convertible top was down, the hot wind blowing and the sun beating down. Bozeman is surrounded by beautiful mountains, and it was looking it's best.

We pull up to Dennis's home and are warmly greeted. I could tell, I am going to like him right away, and his dog and cat were just as friendly.

Dennis had built his own house, and it turns out his career is as a carpenter. Beautiful craftsmanship, and so many wonderful rustic touchs. I look about the living room and there are the 109's perched on a pair of shelves, on each side of the front wall. The REL T2 subwoofer was on the floor, below the left speaker. There is an old style looking wood burning fireplace on the right side of the room, with a metal chimney that exits the ceiling.

Time to get to work. The room had been premeasured for Konfig and the values previously entered.

The calculated room modes were at 33.33, 37.64, 48.97, 62.86, 70.49, 73.09, and 77.14 Hz.

Let's listen to some music to warm up the stereo, and it seems Grateful Dead was the music of choice. John had loaded up my reference tunes and I began to work through my tracks to get a better idea of what I was dealing with for sound quality. We turned up the volume up, way up!!! Sound quality was lathargic and uninspired.

I moved calculated room mode 1 gain from -30.82 to -31.82 dB

After starting at a custom room mode of 28.54 Hz and working my way down, I settled on a custom room mode 1 at 22.45 Hz with a gain of -12.34 dB and bandwidth of 0.014427.

The calculated room modes at 62.86 and 73.09 Hz were set to zero gain

Custom room mode 2 was at 63.5 Hz, -6.58 dB and bandwidth of 0.015764

Custom room mode 3 was at 74.5 Hz, -6.18 dB, and 0.024688.

It all sounded quite good, but a wee bit bloated on the bass. I reach in behind the REL subwoofer and turn down the gain slightly. Like magic, everything fell into place.

I would say we got a great result, and the look on Dennis's and John's face was staggered in disbelief at what the 109's could do. Grateful Dead was qued up and the volume set even louder. Job done!!!

My thought's went to Stacia's 109's, and what her system will be like when her new BK Sub arrives?

Time to get on the phone to Alaska airlines and sort out my plane ticket. It turns out I will be booked back to Vancouver on United airlines via San Francisco with a window seat and extra legroom on Monday, about the same time I would have left on my previously booked flight. Yes, San Francisco. I did not see that one coming, but it was all good.

It was time to say good bye to Dennis, and off we drove at high speed to the Gallatin river for a canoe adventure.

We dropped the canoe near a bridge, then high tailed it to the Missouri River boat launch, at least 12 miles away down the river. We left the Audi SUV at the Missouri River boat launch, and I drove us back to the canoe.

The Gallatin river is not a big or wide river and it is not that deep, but it is scenic and it has countless rapids to ride. Water flow is good and if we wanted, could drift down the river without too much paddling, if we felt tired. I did not take any pictures as I did not want to lose my iPhone or get it wet.

John has a ritual, where he starts his canoe trips, by jumping in the river to get wet and swim around for a bit. Apparently it is now my new ritual. Tongue

Paddling 12 miles or so, is a lot more work than I remembered, and over the next 4 hours watched as a very beautiful landscape unfolded. There were eagles, herons, ravens, and even an elks calling Very close to us. There were other boaters in their rafts powered by oars.

I had been a Boy Scout in my teen years and had paddled a canoe countless times in lakes of the Canadian Shield. Portaging from lake to lake, honing my skills for the day I would ultimately paddle the mighty Gallatin. Rolleyes

As the navigator at the front of the canoe, it was my job to figure out which tributary to paddle, as the Gallatin branched off into several sections at times. I looked for the branch that had the faster flowing water, and then took a chance it was the right choice.

John's experience paddling has been mostly on rivers, and mine has been mostly on lakes, which requires a different approach. Lakes tend to be windy and often encounter days with lots of waves.

I paddled like one of the voyageurs of olden times, searching the north west for fur trading. Tongue

The Gallatin has lots of rapids and the current carried us along. I showed John my paddling technique for lakes, and he skillfully steered us through the tricky sections of rapids and shallow waters where the canoe would scrape the bottom at times.

John would ask to stop the canoe on occasion, to jump into the water and swim for a while to cool off. On occasion, I would also jump in, and with the hot sun, would dry off very quickly.

We finally reached the Missouri river, and the current was far more than the Gallatin, but fortunately only had to paddle a short distance.

We loaded up the canoe, exhausted and hungry, and drove back to get the convertible.

A quick phone call to Stasia, and as luck would have it, she could join us for pizza at a great place she recommended that did wood burning oven pizza. It was a beautiful evening on the outdoor patio, with great conversation, and then time to head home.

I just had enough strength to jump into the hot tub, and look at the moon and stars...

Big day ahead tomorrow......

Exakt 5.1
Klimax Exakt 350 Katalyst Melco N1Z anniversary Melodik sub Akurate 225 centre Akurate 4200 Akurate Exactbox 6 Akudorik Exakt Oppo UDP-205
2017-09-17, 19:30
(2017-09-17 19:10)nrwatson Wrote:  This retirement thing sounds great
Glad you are having a great time[/b]
[b]
(2017-09-17 17:38)Paulssurround Wrote:  

It has been a stellar journey so far.

I was thinking of picking a new hobby.

Maybe something to do with Hifi and music? Tongue

Exakt Surround 5.0:
2017-09-17, 19:48
No future in that ?

Exakt 5.1
Klimax Exakt 350 Katalyst Melco N1Z anniversary Melodik sub Akurate 225 centre Akurate 4200 Akurate Exactbox 6 Akudorik Exakt Oppo UDP-205
2017-09-18, 14:17
It really was a splendid trip!! Thanks again Paul for your friendship and bringing my stereos back to life!

Klimax DS/1, Klimax Twin, Akkurate 212s, Sizmik, Sneaky DS & Tukans (bedroom), Sneaky DS & AVI Neutrons (office)
2017-09-18, 17:14 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-18 20:23 by Paulssurround.)
(2017-09-18 14:17)jcchristopher Wrote:  It really was a splendid trip!! Thanks again Paul for your friendship and bringing my stereos back to life!

Thank you John.

I can't thank you enough for your kindness, friendship and generosity.

It was great pleasure to meet you, Stacia, Natalie and Dennis, and such an amazing visit to Montana-Wyoming.

The last instalment to this story....

We started off the day with breakfast and Qi Gong.

I finished the final pieces of packing up my luggage, and then we printed out the boarding passes for Bozeman-San Franscico, then San-Franscisco to Vancouver.

Hmmmm, not a lot of time, but there is still one more Linn system in the house that has not been looked at.

John's office had a Sneaky DS and a small pair of speakers, which brand I can't remember?

I decided to do the quick and dirty 10 minute SPACE optimization on that system.

This is a system that is only played at very low volumes while John is working on his computer.

Checking the calculated room modes, I added a few custom room modes while listening to the reference tracks, and I think we were able to get a bit more out of them, with a bit more detail at lower volumes.

Sadly, it was time to leave for the airport.

Boarding the plane, and then looking down as Bozeman disappeared into the distance, and we were quickly over the mountains heading to San Francisco.

I was on a United airlines flight on both legs of the journey, and the flight attendants were super friendly and helpful to everyone.

Within minutes of taking off, I could see the forest fire haze from all the forest fires burning, all the way to San Francisco. It was shocking, but nothing compared to what I was about to see.

I landed in San Francisco airport with just minutes to spare to make my way to the far end of the terminal for the next leg of the journey. They were already boarding the plane and as I arrived, my zone of the plane was just loading. Timing was incredible.

This was a brand new 737-900, with a bit less leg room. Strangely the window was slightly behind me, making it more difficult to look out the window, but my eyes were glued on the ground all the way back to Vancouver, ready for what I knew was coming.

Much of the way back to Vancouver I saw an almost continuous rage of forest fires through California, Oregon and Washington State. I knew that British Columbia was in no better shape, and we had massive forest fire issues as well.

Here is one example:

A Hard Rain is A'Gonna Fall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5al0HmR4to

Now back in Vancouver, I have such great memories of Montana.

Exakt Surround 5.0:
2017-09-18, 17:40 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-18 17:41 by Martin H.)
(2017-09-18 17:14)Paulssurround Wrote:  
(2017-09-18 14:17)jcchristopher Wrote:  It really was a splendid trip!! Thanks again Paul for your friendship and bringing my stereos back to life!

Thank you John.

It was great pleasure to meet you, Stacia, Natalie and Dennis, and such an amazing visit to Montana-Wyoming.

I finished the final pieces of packing up my luggage, and then we printed out the boarding passes for Bozeman-San Franscico, then San-Franscisco to Vancouver.

Hmmmm, not a lot of time, but there is still one more Linn system in the house that has not been looked at.

John's office had a Sneaky DS and a small pair of speakers, which brand I can't remember?

I decided to do the quick and dirty 10 minute SPACE optimization on that system.

This is a system that is only played at very low volumes while John is working on his computer.

Checking the calculated room modes, I added a few custom room modes while listening to the reference tracks, and I think we were able to get a bit more out of them, with a bit more detail at lower volumes.

Boarding the plane, and then looking down as Bozeman disappeared into the distance, and we were quickly over the mountains heading to San Francisco.

I was on a United airlines flight on both legs of the journey, and the flight attendants were super friendly and helpful to everyone.

Within minutes of taking off, I could see the forest fire haze from all the forest fires burning, all the way to San Francisco. It was shocking, but nothing compared to what I was about to see.

I landed in San Francisco airport with just minutes to spare to make my way to the far end of the terminal for the next leg of the journey. They were already boarding the plane and as I arrived, my zone of the plane was just loading. Timing was incredible.

This was a brand new 737-900, with a bit less leg room. Strangely the window was slightly behind me, making it more difficult to look out the window, but my eyes were glued on the ground all the way back to Vancouver, ready for what I knew was coming.

Much of the way back to Vancouver I saw an almost continuous rage of forest fires through California, Oregon and Washington State. I knew that British Columbia was in no better shape, and we had massive forest fire issues as well.

Here is one example:

A Hard Rain is Gonna Fall

Paul

Excellent summaries and sounds like a great trip.

I went to open up the Youtube and was confronted by a Youtube Ad for http://www.tena.co.uk/men/Products/Male-...tent=30sec

I am guessing that was what you had intended but it was ruined by some old dude singing in the background about the weather Smile nice pants Paul, nice Pants. Big Grin

I think this might get you to the advert I saw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXzXP0oq...e=youtu.be
2017-09-18, 17:50
(2017-09-18 17:40)Martin H Wrote:  
(2017-09-18 17:14)Paulssurround Wrote:  

Thank you John.

Here is one example:

A Hard Rain is Gonna Fall

Paul

Excellent summaries and sounds like a great trip.

I went to open up the Youtube and was confronted by a Youtube Ad for http://www.tena.co.uk/men/Products/Male-...tent=30sec

I am guessing that was what you had intended but it was ruined by some old dude singing in the background about the weather Smile nice pants Paul, nice Pants. Big Grin

I think this might get you to the advert I saw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXzXP0oq...e=youtu.be

Very funny Martin.

I can only guess this is your brand of choice? TongueBig Grin

Exakt Surround 5.0: