Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-17, 19:41 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Space Optimisation v / Musicality In Montana!!!

Musicality In Montana!!!
2017-09-30, 18:20 (This post was last modified: 2017-09-30 18:23 by StasiaO.)
RE: Musicality In Montana!!!
(2017-09-15 06:57)Paulssurround Wrote:  I do believe the end result was impressive, even without the sub, and those 109's were singing a new tune like I had never heard them before. Big Grin

The look on Stasia's face said it all. It was one of astonishment and wonder.

It was a great pleasure to meet Stasia, on Friday night, and I had the opportunity to visit with her again on Sunday for dinner.

Impressive is a gross understatement! Following Paul's stay I was slammed with work and travel for work, so am only just now able to sit down again and fully appreciate the upgrade to my system that came with Paul's visit.

It seems surreal that this is the same system that I had before Paul's visit. My 109s do not know that they are little speakers. Paul commented that he did not know if jail4ceos2 would have sold me the speakers had he know what these little guys were capable of. I think he might be right.

Paul is a true artist and also absolutely delightful company. I am deeply grateful for his generous spirit and that I got to know him a bit more in person.

Now that I know what I know, I cannot imagine investing in this equipment without Paul as a part of the process. If you have not had him to your little corner of the world, my recommendation is to start making plans for him to visit. You will not regret it one bit.

(2017-09-15 09:57)Tin Wrote:  
Quote:Yes, there was aluminum foil on involved, but no small pets were harmed in this process
So that's an eufinism that her room Elephant died? Now Stasias guests have nothing left to discuss!

No time for discussions, only time for listening Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-01, 05:23
(2017-09-30 18:20)StasiaO Wrote:  
(2017-09-15 06:57)Paulssurround Wrote:  I do believe the end result was impressive, even without the sub, and those 109's were singing a new tune like I had never heard them before. Big Grin

The look on Stasia's face said it all. It was one of astonishment and wonder.

It was a great pleasure to meet Stasia, on Friday night, and I had the opportunity to visit with her again on Sunday for dinner.

Impressive is a gross understatement! Following Paul's stay I was slammed with work and travel for work, so am only just now able to sit down again and fully appreciate the upgrade to my system that came with Paul's visit.

It seems surreal that this is the same system that I had before Paul's visit. My 109s do not know that they are little speakers. Paul commented that he did not know if jail4ceos2 would have sold me the speakers had he know what these little guys were capable of. I think he might be right.

Paul is a true artist and also absolutely delightful company. I am deeply grateful for his generous spirit and that I got to know him a bit more in person.

Now that I know what I know, I cannot imagine investing in this equipment without Paul as a part of the process. If you have not had him to your little corner of the world, my recommendation is to start making plans for him to visit. You will not regret it one bit.

(2017-09-15 09:57)Tin Wrote:  
Quote:Yes, there was aluminum foil on involved, but no small pets were harmed in this process
So that's an eufinism that her room Elephant died? Now Stasias guests have nothing left to discuss!

No time for discussions, only time for listening Smile

There may be another trip to Montana in the future.

Big GrinBig Grin

All the best!!!

Exakt Surround 5.0:
AEDSM, Exakt Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2017-10-07, 23:23
Paul, if you wanderings ever send you in the the direction of Southern California, I hope you will send me a PM.

I just took the (deep) plunge and converted my KDS-1 to KDSM-1 and "upgraded" my Klimax Tuneboxes (for Komri) to Exaktboxes. Of course the first reaction was of the falling-off-the-sofa variety, but now I'm digging into SO. This has taken a while because first I had to return both low bass modules for replacement as one was out with a fried component. And of course the new ones came with factory default settings which assume the speakers are set up for passive as opposed to Active. But now things are humming.

As a first experiment I did a Tune Dem (with SO off) to see what would happen if the speakers were moved out from the wall one Komri footprint, and I was surprised to hear lots of grain and harshness (did someone say "shoutiness"?)around vocals, so I started moving them back in increments of about 4 inches and found they sounded best in their original position, with the rear of the cabinets about six inches from the wall. All this was done with the speakers parallel to one another, and my next step is to redo SO measurements and then play with toe-in just to see what happens. First step will be at about 7 degrees, 2.5 inches from front to back of the plinth.

Anyway, I'm curious to know if this six inch wall distance makes sense to you or others who have knowledge of Komris and their particular disposition. I know you don't know my room (fairly symmetrical), but I would love to hear any reactions.

Thanks for any insight. I have seen your long treatise on SO and plan to digest it carefully.

Thanks and regards,

Stephen Robeck

KDSM Exakt - KDS2 Renew - MajikDS - SneakyDS - Klimax Kontrol (now for sale) - Komris with Exaktboxes - 8x Solo 500
2017-10-08, 00:06
(2017-10-07 23:23)srobeck Wrote:  Paul, if you wanderings ever send you in the the direction of Southern California, I hope you will send me a PM.

I just took the (deep) plunge and converted my KDS-1 to KDSM-1 and "upgraded" my Klimax Tuneboxes (for Komri) to Exaktboxes. Of course the first reaction was of the falling-off-the-sofa variety, but now I'm digging into SO. This has taken a while because first I had to return both low bass modules for replacement as one was out with a fried component. And of course the new ones came with factory default settings which assume the speakers are set up for passive as opposed to Active. But now things are humming.

As a first experiment I did a Tune Dem (with SO off) to see what would happen if the speakers were moved out from the wall one Komri footprint, and I was surprised to hear lots of grain and harshness (did someone say "shoutiness"?)around vocals, so I started moving them back in increments of about 4 inches and found they sounded best in their original position, with the rear of the cabinets about six inches from the wall. All this was done with the speakers parallel to one another, and my next step is to redo SO measurements and then play with toe-in just to see what happens. First step will be at about 7 degrees, 2.5 inches from front to back of the plinth.

Anyway, I'm curious to know if this six inch wall distance makes sense to you or others who have knowledge of Komris and their particular disposition. I know you don't know my room (fairly symmetrical), but I would love to hear any reactions.

Thanks for any insight. I have seen your long treatise on SO and plan to digest it carefully.

Thanks and regards,

Stephen Robeck

Hi Stephen,

I do wander down to L.A. every year or so to visit some friends in La Habra.

I was just there in February, and drove to Palm Dessert as well.

I will certainly contact you if I come down your way.

It is only 2.5 hours to fly down, and airfares are reasonable.

I know there are other Linn owners there and promised to visit Tom and his friends to do Space optimization on their Linn systems.

Cheers
Paul

Exakt Surround 5.0:
AEDSM, Exakt Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels