Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-01-18, 03:11 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Space Optimisation v / Musicality In Montana!!!

Musicality In Montana!!!
2018-01-15, 19:37
RE: Musicality In Montana!!!
(2018-01-15 19:05)moomintroll Wrote:  
(2018-01-15 17:38)phino Wrote:  
(2018-01-15 02:03)aero9k Wrote:  I'm trying to optimize Space for a set of Keltiks and was wondering if you started out with the eight aktiv cards set to flat/factory settings? It would seem to make sense that Linn set the parameters with this presumption. When I first ran Space the increase in clarity was impressive, but the bass slam and warmth was gone, so I turned it off, but I sense potential.

SO only works up to 80hz, so I would have thought that leaving the cards set as you have them now would be most appropriate - SO will only affect the bass driver. However you can add bass + treble shelves in SO which will go a long way to replicating the settings on the cards. You could always try both and see which is best...

Hmm, I would have thought that SO calculations for a given speaker would be based on default crossover settings. Otherwise any SO adjustments are going to be totally skewed by the adjustments on the cards.

‘troll

But the SO documentation doesn't say that you need to do anything with the gain on your Aktiv cards if you have them. It doesn't even differentiate between passive and aktiv systems, so the assumption would be that you leave them as-is? After all, SO will only be working on the lowest frequency driver so it should be a level playing field in the vast majority of cases. Kaber crossover from bass-to-mid apparently starts at 80Hz, so it might have a slight effect at the top-end of SO?

It's a fair point though - something someone at Linn would be best placed to clear up.

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-16, 10:36
The reason we do not 'correct' the room based on an acoustic measurement is that we do not believe that any room optimisation should affect the way the speaker sounds. Whenever you base a correction on a microphone measurement you will necessarily influence the way the speaker sounds as it is included in the measurement you are correcting.

Space Optimisation models the complete system (room and speaker) and compares that model to the response expected from the speaker in free space, it then optimises for the difference.

If your speaker sounds balanced to start with (be that by design or by adjustments to gains for individual drivers) then this is how you should leave the speaker.

Phil.
2018-01-16, 16:38
(2018-01-16 10:36)Phil Budd (Philbo) Wrote:  The reason we do not 'correct' the room based on an acoustic measurement is that we do not believe that any room optimisation should affect the way the speaker sounds. Whenever you base a correction on a microphone measurement you will necessarily influence the way the speaker sounds as it is included in the measurement you are correcting.

Space Optimisation models the complete system (room and speaker) and compares that model to the response expected from the speaker in free space, it then optimises for the difference.

If your speaker sounds balanced to start with (be that by design or by adjustments to gains for individual drivers) then this is how you should leave the speaker.

Phil.

Thanks for that Phil, that's what I'd assumed but had often wondered. Perhaps the SO documentation could be updated to state as much explicitly?

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub